1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein help needed please

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Fader, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Fader

Fader Active Member

Hi All,

I've been taking whey protein drinks for years now, and never really had a problem with it.

Last week I tried carb cycling, did a week of high carbs which produced fantastic strength gains. Over the 2 days off I went down to 30g and 50g of carbs for the two days and upped my fats abit.

Since then I have a real intolerence to whey protein for some reason. I've gone back to high carbs, normal carbs, everything. I have a horrible stomach pain throughout the day like a hunger feeling mixed with stomach pains along with the gas etc ofcourse.

I am currently working hard because I have a stag weekend to Ibiza in 4 weeks, so I can't just take a break for 2 weeks or what-not.

I suppose i could "attempt" getting my protein from raw food sources, which will be really hard for me, because along with the intolerance I have alot of nausea, even the thought of food is making me feel sick.

I'm really stuck, at the moment I'm taking the pain and just drinking my whey drinks. Should I just take a week off of protein drinks? week off of training? week off of everything?

do i still train knowing I don't have the protein I need? do i work on my abs and get cut?

any advice would be great guys

2. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

I would suggest speaking with a nurse or a physician. A simple carb cycle would not likely cause a problem like what you describe. That sort of pain and discomfort could be a symptom of a larger systemic issue that I would want to get checked out.

3. Fader

Fader Active Member

I had this before when I was 18-19 working for a horrible company, where they made you work your b **** ox off. It's definetly some kind of rejection to they whey, I've worked that out.

I can't stand GP's i just think they are utterly rubbish unless it's an external problem.

more advice would be great if anyone else has an idea but thanks alot, i probably will go doctors too, just for him to give me some more antacids

4. FatLenny

FatLenny Active Member

Well then... are you drinking they shakes on an empty stomach? Maybe a small snack, like a handful on nuts, before your shake would help. What about switching brands or blends? Maybe try a casein shake.

5. Fader

Fader Active Member

I could try a different protein shake. Maybe Isolate, but cas is going to take too long to get into my system post workout really.

I don't know if it's the protein shake OR the level of protein at once.

thing is, I could buy another bag of protein and get the same thing. That will really dishearten me :(

6. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

Maybe you are mildly allergic to whey. Give Casein a shot. Also, there are companies that make single servings of protein mix so you don't waste money and have to throw out 99% of a 2 lb jug. Trutein sells single servings for pretty cheap. They have different types (whey, casein, egg) and lots of great flavors.

Good luck.

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

takes 20-30 minutes to get whey protein into your system post workout and the uptake rapidly spikes and peaks at around 75-90 minutes then rapidly dwindles over the course of 6 hours.

cassein takes about 45 minutes or so to get into your system and slowly peaks around 60 minutes and dwindles over the course of 7 hours.

i know you muscles don't immediately repair after a workout -- it takes days. i would think a slower digesting protein would be superior to a faster digesting protein simply for the fact that it helps maintain a higher availability of amino acids during a longer period of time.

simple solution ... use cassein as a pre-workout to keep the amino acids available for long term absorption.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/10/3228S.full

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/10/3228S/F1.expansion.html

8. Fader

Fader Active Member

That's great info jmike. Would I still then take a post workout cas too though? thanks

9. jmike

jmike Active Member

it is recommended that you try to evenly space out your protein intake throughout the day. granted ... your body needs protein the most right after a workout ... but you can take cassein protein an hour prior to working out and it is still highly available for system uptake.

the good thing about cassein protein is that it takes time to process throughout the day ... assuming you are getting 20-30 grams of cassein throughout the day from shakes along with protein you get from whole food consumption.

i.e. 180 pound person ... lifting heavy weights 3 times a week for building muscle ... needs 1.2 to 1.6 (can't remember if it is 1.6 or 1.8 as the upper range) grams of protein per pound of body weight per day -- 216-288 grams of protein ... assuming you are getting 100 grams of protein through whole food sources ... and you are getting 30 grams of protein per cassein shake ... you might end up needing 4 shakes at 6 hour intervals.

There would pretty much be protein in your system at all time to be available for system uptake.