1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

protein/fat, protein/carb questions

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Adam, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I'm losing weight, so far so good, but I'd like to get my food (and knowledge) dialed in. I am curious about the whole protein/fat, protein/carb connection.

I understand that if you want to lose weight, it's key to have your meals be primarily protein/carb or protein/fat.

However, I figure there also has to be some kind of range of tolerances. For example, very few protein rich foods have 0 fat. Even boneless/skinless chicken breast. Also, even veggies like broccoli have some carbs, and I find it hard to believe that eating a cup or 2 of raw broccoli and a salad w/ some tomato, cucumber, green onion, lettuce, etc will be enough carb to throw off your meal....

I'm not talking about eating a steak with a baked potato like I'd imagine you might do if you're bulking, just wondering about how for example fresh veggues will affect a protein/fat meal. or even something like half a pita.

Alternately, how much fat would be safe to eat with a protein/carb meal? Like I said, almost all protein sources have fat. In fact, even carbs like oats have some fat. 1 cup of raw oats have 5 grams of fat. Sure, its more than 3/5 poly or monounsaturated, but there's still 45 cals of fat in 1 cup of plain old raw oats.

Like I said, I figure there has to be a range of tolerance... Can someone please explain how this works?

2. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

Well, I think there is a range. It's ridiculous to say that you have to totally seperate carbs and fat. In general, I believe that low GI carbs are fine to eat with a small amount of fat, I'd say 8-10 grams. That gives you a lot of room to have them together. The thing that I would try to stay away from is high GI carbs and fat. That's why french fries, twinkies and donuts are bad... high GI carbs and fat. I'm not a purist on the no fat/carbs together, but I believe it's a good rule of thumb to live by without getting too extreme.

3. MUGSY

MUGSY Well-Known Member

Fiber carbs dont count toward the total carb count, these are "non-impact" carbs.

Mugsy

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Bump - was hoping to get some more feedback on this post.

5. slush_puppy

slush_puppy Well-Known Member

What else do you want to know?

6. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

Send a PM to Swolecat.

7. Speed Trials

Speed Trials Well-Known Member