1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Protein Farts, and what to do about them

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by miami, Sep 27, 2004.

1. miami

miami Well-Known Member

Since I modified my diet, and therefore increased my protein intake, including lots of chicken, tuna, protein shakes, etc..., my farts have increased radically. They are brutal, and when you smell like rotten eggs you cannot hide the guilty look on your face. :whistle:

So, I started adding Beano to my meals. So far, it has helped a little, but not much.

Any suggestions?

How do you deal with this problem?

Peace

2. Human Clay

Human Clay Well-Known Member

It happens to me, too, but so far I have no idea how to reduce it. It's not a major concern for me. I don't have a social life to begin with (not my fault, blame Hicksville!)

I can suggest one thing, though... pick the equipment closest to the gym's fans :whistle:

3. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Try taking Beano before your meal - like 30 minutes before.

4. DeafNgari

DeafNgari Well-Known Member

Most likely it is related to something(s) specific in your diet. I developed very very bad gas for a while and through systemic elimination of foods for a couple days, I found it was mostly caused by turkey for me.

5. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

screw it..let 'em rip! :lol:

luckily when mine come on i'm walking down a long hallway in some office somewhere so its kinda like a machine gun burst and noone knows who shot first :nod: :lol:

6. Bluestreak

We lay 'em down loud and rate them. The louder they are in the next office, the higher your rating. Same goes for belches.

Yes, we are that juvenile. It's a boy's dorm around my office. You can guess where the average conversation goes... right into the gutter each time.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Well-Known Member

For me, it's Kashi cereal. Guess I can't handle all the fiber in one shot. Too bad, 'cause I really like Kashi.

8. never_enough

never_enough Well-Known Member

bottle 'em :lol:

9. vortex72

vortex72 Well-Known Member

Heh, that Kashi "Go Lean Crunch" is the worst. I'm going to stop buying it because I tend to binge on it since its such a convenience food. I'm pretty sure its the soy protein that makes it so nasty.. I kid you not, if I eat a big bowl of that stuff I will fart ALL day and I mean they are horrid. Smells like a mixture of raw sewage, rotting corpse, and laquer thinner :D

10. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

I used to eat those Balance Gold Bars...They tasted great, but man did I get the worst gas from them. I'd let one go, away from everybody else that I worked with...and the they were so thick, if would follow me where ever I went. :lol:
    I've kind of figured out to stay away from soy protein, and lower grade protein powders. If I just stick with real meat, and the powders I'm using right now, I seem to be pretty safe to be around.

11. ShadowPenguin

ShadowPenguin Well-Known Member

thats one of the only thing i like about the two other techs i work with, out gutter is VERY deep and VERY smelly :lol:

our favorite is when one of the other guys is kneeling down at a server or something to do the walk by "leg lift" over the head. That way you get a rainbow effect and it lingers :tu:

12. Bluestreak

That is so wrong. We make noise all day, but you have to keep your stink to your area. We judge solely on sound. Heaven help the guy who violates that peace treaty...

-R

13. FerretNose

FerretNose Well-Known Member

Upon the occasion of this vulgar yet amusing subject, I would like to post a link to what I think is the funniest fart story ever written:

http://www.ubersite.com/m/27284

FerretNose

14. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

"Hey, what's all this talk about farting?"

/obvious

Attached Files:

15. CharlieFirpo

CharlieFirpo Well-Known Member

I can only say,
    I am glad to hear that many of you guys have this problem because I thought my body would be the only which reacts like this! :o

16. PeteBDawg

PeteBDawg Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know the old wives' tale about beans?

It's no old wives' tale. Anybody who rides the treadmills in my gym between 6:30 AM and 7:30 AM can tell you that. :o

17. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

Use them to your advantage if you work out at a gym. If someone won't get off the equipment that you want to use, just drag one by them. My workout partner used to be able to clear half them gym. It was beautiful!

18. Bluestreak

Working out with a partner who requires a gas mask to be near isn't appealing to me... this old lady at my gym wears 17 gallons of perfume (she's a walking asthma attack for me) but man, she could launch rockets into orbit with her flammability. She ripped one this morning that actually made me think of this thread... there was no one else nearby, just her and I separated by a treadmill to keep my distance from her perfume... but it wafted my way and man, oh man... there were roaches scurrying for clean air.

-R

19. LarryNC

LarryNC Well-Known Member

One morning, I drank 3 scoops of Chocolate GNC whey protein in about 20 oz water for bfast, then I went to biology class, and let one go, VERY!!! V E R Y SBD, some guy went O M G it smells like S H * T in here! and someone pointed to me! I acted like nothing happened, but inside I knew it stunk, and I can't smell anyway! when you cough to your own gas, you know somethings wrong, never have I ate whey ever again, other brands also gave me bad gas, and lactose too! :( Actually that day I think I had the whey with milk haha

20. French Spirit

French Spirit Well-Known Member

Haha. One time I ate two servings of Kashi and people claimed there was a "gastrointestinal attack" going on in my Muay Thai class. High fiber cereals = no, for me.