1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Proper Form and other questions.

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Bludder, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Bludder

Bludder Active Member

Hello lifters...I just got into weight lifting. I love to do it, I love to see myself get stronger. I want to get even better.

There are lifts though that are essential that I have problems with though.

I need to learn how to do them and most importantly how do them with the proper form.

Deadlifts and Squats are my main problem areas.

When I go to the gym I see a lot of lifters wearing back belts. Is this essential? For Squats and Deadlifts? I also see people going low on their squats...I can't go too low...am I doing it wrong? With squats also is it bad to use a foam pad to cover the bar? I have read articles where it interferes with the efectiveness of the squat and some say it does jack all but make the squat more comfortable.

So if anyone has any advice on these issues I'd be appreciative. I can leg press wayyyyyy more than I can squat. I can barely do 225lbs on a squat and 205lbs on a deadlift. Of course I can only count a lift as being successful in my eyes if the lift has at least 6 reps. How do I maximize these exercises...*especially the deadlift*?

2. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

This is common....its good you want to take the time to learn them correctly....

Not essential....I think the guys that wear them get some form of "mental comfort" from them.

You want your thighs parallel or just below at the bottom of the squat (a.k.a. the hole).

As you train, you will be building your traps (deadlift, power clean, shrugs)

As you get better at doing squats, you will naturally gravitate to a low-bar (powerlifters) bar position....it basically just sits on your traps and your hands simply pin the bar against them.

This is standard.

Repetition.....if you want, until you are proficient with the squat form, you can do leg press for strength early in the workout.....and finish with lighter and higher rep squats for form practice and endurance.

------

If you have a few extra bucks....starting strength is a terrific way to get started in power lifting.....or at least training like a power lifter.

3. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

One of the best squat tutorials on the net is the "so you think you can squat" series. You can find it on youtube. Watch all four parts of the series, and that should help your squat technique immensely. I have been squatting for years and I still watch it from time to time to brush up on technique.