1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Progress AND Perfection Challenge (May 1-July 1, 2005)

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by causticmuse, Apr 30, 2005.

1. causticmuse

causticmuse Well-Known Member

Since this challenge board is mostly a sea of males doing one on one challenges, and we are frankly tired of reading about the daily slips and slides of the uncommitted on other boards, Savyart (Kyra) and I are kicking off a little 9 week challenge starting May 1, 2005 and running through July 1, 2005. We are setting fitness goals as usual, but the real focus is to rack up "perfect" days in accordance with our individual training and nutrition plans.

We've done our math ahead of time, so just executing our programs without cheating should get us to our goals. ;)

The real challenge is to see who has the highest number of consecutive "Perfect" days by the end of the challenge.

If you want to join in, post your proposed workout and nutrition program and your goals, and be sure to check in briefly at least three times a week with your "perfect or not" report.

#1 causticmuse, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  2. causticmuse

Maggie's Challenge Guidelines

:bb: Training:

- Follow Beachbody's P90X "Extreme Home Fitness" DVD series using the "Classic" program
    - P90X training is six days a week with one day off for recovery.
    - Approximate calorie burn per P90X workout is 500-600 calories.
    - Perform an additional 30 minutes of cardio (my choice of HIIT or LISS) three days a week on Tue/Thur/Sun for an additional 200-300 calories burned per session.
    - I may shift a maximum of two scheduled workouts a week to alternate days if work commitments are too great. I must still complete the scheduled number and types of workouts I originally planned for the week by end of day Saturday.

:eat: Nutrition:
    - Zig-zag calories: 1600-1700 calories on M/T/Th/F/Su and 1800-2000 calories on W/Sa for an average of 1721 calories per day.
    - Six small meals a day on non-free meal days. (Big surprise, I know.) If a free meal is taken, total meals for the day may equal five instead of six in order to meet calorie targets.
    - Take only 2 free meals each week. May be used on Wednesday, Saturday, or Sunday in any combination.
    - Calories must still be tracked for the free meals.
    - Maintain macronutrient ratios at approximately 40-50% carb / 30-40% protein / 20% fat on non-free meal days.
    - Absolutely NO trigger foods in the form of candy, cakes, pies, brownies, cookies, doughnuts, chips, salted nuts or boxed cereal (including Kashi GoLean and GoLean Crunch) permitted for the duration of the challenge, including free meals, unless they are healthy homemade versions with the proper macronutrient ratios.
    - Raisins and unsalted nuts are permitted only as ingredients in recipes, not as standalone snack items.
    - Substitutions of meals on the daily posted menu are permitted as long as the subbed meal is of equivalent quality and stats.
    - Sugar-free Jello or popsicles and fibrous vegetables are permitted as extra snack options if needed.
    - Drink a minimum of 16 cups of water a day.
    - Take one Calcium 500 + D, one multivitamin, and 1 T. flaxseed oil or flax seeds daily.
    - Assess nutrition plan every 2 weeks and adjust calories as needed to achieve 0.5-1.0 lbs of fat loss a week.

:eek: Goals:
    - Target weight of 128-130 lbs in 9 weeks, or a scale weight loss of 7-9 lbs.
    - Reduce body fat to 14-16%.
    - Perform 8 full unassisted pull-ups.
    - 60 consecutive perfect days!

:read: Reporting and Misc.:
    - Daily post will include workouts performed, calories eaten, macronutrient breakdown, and cups of water drunk.
    - If all parts of the plan were followed the previous day, I will add another day to the total of consecutive "Perfect" days I have in my tally. Failing to follow the guidelines above will reset my total to zero.
    - Measurements and photos will be taken on May 1, June 1, and July 1.
    - Scale weight will only be officially taken once a week on Saturday morning.
    - No restarts although reasonable modifications for illness or injury are permitted.

#2 causticmuse, Apr 30, 2005
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  3. Moveon

Moveon Well-Known Member

What a plan!

Whoa! What a plan. I'm going to follow this...bookmarked already. I am impressed with the goals. Your focus on the consecutive days instead of just the weight, pics, measures, etc. is exciting. I LIKE it!

4. Savyart

Savyart Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Here we go! I'm sure I have forgotten something...

Nutrition
    * 40% Carb/ 40% Protein/ 20% Fat
    * 6 days on track : 1300-1500 daily target for calories during.
    * Free "Meal/Days" 1300 + calories earned (diet-power allows calories to be banked, and keeps a running tally) , 40/40/20 not withstanding.
    *Free "DAY" is only for extreme circumstance
    *Free "meal" is a dinner & dessert, and the rest of the days meals are on track and adjusted accordingly for it, to hit the appropriate tallies.
    * No diet sodas, No Chips, No brownies, No Cookies will be allowed AT ALL, even on free days for the duration of the challenge.
    * a minimum of 5 meals, a maximum of 6 meals a day
    * Substitutions of meals on the daily posted menu are permitted as long as the subbed meal is of equivalent quality and stats.
    * Daily multi-vitamin, CLA (x3), L-tyrosine (x2), Glucosamine sulfate (x2)
    *minimum 90 fl oz of water per day
    * extra vegetables (non-starchy) are allowed if needed
    * Nutrition will be monitored via Diet Power, with a minimum score of 100% each of the 6 days and a B on "free" days. Calories will be earned and monitored, and reassessed every day by the program.

Training

* MaxOT for the next 9 weeks, 5 days a week
    * BFL style cardio, 3 days per week (HIIT)
    * 2 mile walks every non-cardio day that isn't weather prohibiting

Goals

* to get 60 days on my tally of perfect days
    * as a numeric lbs loss goal is uncertain for me, I will set it with the knowledge I may not meet it, but that it isn't the most important part of this challenge. My aim is to lose 9 lbs of scale weight in the 9 weeks. (hopefully more, but, well... you know..... Me and my metabolism from hell.) Brining me from 172.5 (today) to 163 lbs.

Reporting

* Each day I will report in with my planed workout, my meals, macronutrient breakdown, water, and results from yesterday and well as my tally.
    * If all parts of the plan were followed the previous day, I will add another day to the total of consecutive “Perfect” days I have in my tally. Failing to follow the guidelines above will reset my total to zero.
    * Measurements and photos will be taken on May 1, June 1, and July 1.
    * Scale weight will only be taken once a week on Saturday morning.
    * No restarts although reasonable modifications for illness or injury are permitted.

5. LeftNut

LeftNut Well-Known Member

This is an awesome idea for a challenge. I would like to join if you ladies will let me. I am just getting back from vacation,

( :eat: :eat: :eat: )

and need to go hardcore for a couple months. I will post my program tomorrow.

6. Yvette

Yvette Well-Known Member

OOOOH. I just started my personal 12 week challenge and this would fit right in if you would let me.

I will post my goals tomorrow. I really need to think this out carefully. :claphigh:

7. causticmuse

Leftnut and Yvette--Feel free to hop on in whenever you have your plans ready to post. :tucool:

8. confusciously

confusciously Well-Known Member

Yay!! :claphigh: You ladies are gonna make us proud, I'm sure of it!

9. LeftNut

Hey, did you guys intend for this to be a female-only challenge? I don't want to mess your thing up.... :confused:

10. causticmuse

This challenge is open to anyone who wants to go hardcore for 9 weeks, male or female. :D

11. causticmuse

5/1/05 Report
    Consecutive Perfect Days = 1 :jumping:
    Total Perfect Days = 1/62

Workouts:
    - P90X Kenpo (60 minutes)
    - Cardio (Treadmill, 30 minutes, ~ 6 mph)
    - Extra: P90X Yoga (49 minutes)

Nutrition:
    - 1611 calories, 41.7% carb, 35.7% protein, 22.6% fat
    - No unauthorized meals
    - All supplements taken
    - 16 cups water

Quick observation: There's something extremely empowering about getting things 100% right for the day. The element of competition and challenge is key; it completely solidifies your commitment to your training and diet plan and keeps you strong when faced with food temptations at work or the morning laziness that keeps you in bed instead of doing your planned workout.

#11 causticmuse, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 2, 2005
  12. LeftNut

Ok, here's mine. Causticmuse, yours looks great so I used it as a template.

LeftNut's Challenge Guidelines

:bb: Training:

- HIT training 3 days per week
    - 12 exercises to failure per HIT workout
    - Depending on recovery ability, the HIT workout may be modified to include fewer exercises and/or more rest days between workouts. This will depend on strength increases from workout to workout.
    - OPTIONAL: Some form of sports-based exercise twice per week; i.e.- spinning class, playing soccer at lunchtime, etc.
    - Once I have printed out my workout for the day, there will be no modifications. If modifications need to be made, they will be done for the next workout.

:eat: Nutrition:
    - Calories: Approximately 2000 on non-HIT days, and about 2300 on HIT days.
    - 6 meals per day. Days with a free meal may include 5 meals instead of 6.
    - Clean meals will be restricted to foods that are on my own approved list (which is too detailed to include here – it’s basically BFFM). The “worst” thing I am allowed to eat is 2 cups of Corn Flakes (or similar cereal) with nonfat milk immediately following a HIT workout. All other foods are complex carbohydrates, good proteins, healthy fruits and vegetables, and good fats.
    - 2 free meals each week, to be taken at any time. These may include anything, and each meal may include dessert.
    - Days that include free meals will not surpass 3000 calories.
    - Macronutrient breakdown: At least 1 gram protein per pound of bodyweight (but it will usually be higher). 15-20% calories from fat. The rest in healthy carbs.
    - Each meal and all calories will be tracked with my own software. Some free meal calories will need to be estimated. If it has a Nutrition Facts label, it will be entered into my database.
    - Drink at least 1 gallon of water per day.
    - Daily multivitamin, and at least one tablespoon Udos or flax oil. If free meals are high in fat, I reserve the option to skip the oil that day.
    - Nutrition plan will be subject to modification in order to sustain measurable fat loss. I am fairly lean already, so I have no idea how many pounds of fat I can lose per week or month.

:eek: Goals:
    - Reduce body fat - defined lower abs, no visible fat on lower back sides (probably close to a true 8%)
    - 30” at navel, 30.5” at belt line
    - Slight increase or no decrease in arm, chest, shoulder, and thigh measurements
    - 60 consecutive perfect days

:read: Reporting and Misc.:
    - I will post to this thread at least three times a week and will report whether I have followed my plan perfectly. I will keep and report my tally of perfect consecutive days.
    - I usually take daily measurements
    - Reasonable modifications for illness or injury are permitted
    - I will read these guidelines and goals at least once per day

#12 LeftNut, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 3, 2005
  13. Savyart

Ok here is mine:
    5/1/05 Report

Perfect Days = 1/62 :tucool:

Workouts:

- HIIT Cardio - running, 2.25 miles

Nutrition:
    - 1310 calories, 45% carb, 37% protein, 22.6% fat
    - No unauthorized meals
    - All supplements taken
    - 146 fl oz

14. causticmuse

Great plan, LeftNut. I'm borrowing your optional 5 meals on free meal day line since I wind up comatose after a Chinese buffet meal with my family at least once a month. :lol:

:gl:

Great job on day 1, Kyra! Go us! :claphigh:

15. jenaveev

jenaveev Well-Known Member

I'd love to join you! I started my own challenge, but yours is much more detailed. I really like the idea of listing "forbidden triggers" (thanks Maggie). :d_biggrin Something about having the rules in writing really helps me when the food negotiations start in my head. I’ll post my plan in a sec. . .

16. jacqui

jacqui Well-Known Member

Here's my plan-

Hi all, I'd love to join your P & P challenge! I am very behind the times and have not got a digital camera or scanner to put up a pic but did have my day 1 photos taken today :o It'll just take a little while to l figure how to get them up. (Thanks for the email response Maggie :D )

So here's my plan-
    NUTRITION :eat:
    1500 cals 6 days per week and 1900 cals 1 day per week(usually Sat)
    No trigger foods in the house (low fat popcorn, sweets, fat free chips, all other junk food items, cereal...)
    No bread or peanut paste during weekdays when my husband isn't around to stop me from eating the whole jar/loaf
    Ratios of 30-40 Carbs/40-30 Protein/30-20 Good Fats
    5 meals per day (minimum 4 on 1900 cal day)
    Starchy carbs and simple carbs at 3 meals only on 1500 cals days (must be included in pre and post W/O meals)
    Eat last meal at 8pm
    Minimum 3 litres of water per day

TRAINING :bb:
    3 sessions of 8-15% incline walk/jog on treadmill 70mins (600-700cals)
    1-2 sessions of HIIT (may take a rest day on one of these) 30mins Must vary machine each time from ellip-stepper-bike for HIIT
    2 days of weights-1 upper, 1 lower 60mins each. Must up weight or push out one more rep for every exercise every session!!!

MISC :tu:
    Strive for a perfect score!

BEGINNING STATS :d_redface
    Height-5'7.5"
    Weight-149lbs
    BF-somewhere in the 30% range
    Waist-31.24" YIKES!
    Hips-39.75"
    Chest-38"
    Abdomen-35"
    R.Bicep-11"
    R.thigh-23.25"

YESTERDAY & TODAYS SCORE :claphigh:
    2!!!
    1st May-1800 cals, rest day
    2nd May-1500 cals (36/44/18) 600cals burnt on treadmill

#16 jacqui, May 2, 2005
    Last edited: May 2, 2005
  17. jenaveev

jenaveev Well-Known Member

ARGHHHHHHH. My hard drive is slowly dying. It's gasping its last breaths (or last clicks, as the case may be) as I type. Hopefully I'll make it.

I just took "before" pictures. UGH. :( Ugh I say again. Nowhere to go but up. So here goes. . .

:db: TRAINING
    *1 hour plus of allowed cardio for the first 30 days without rest (barring pain)
    *After 30 days-6 days per week (Sunday rest)-1 hour cardio
    *Bikram Yoga Saturdays 4pm (helps the injury)
    *Weight workout (looking at Max OT)-4x per week, Butts and Guts does not count
    *Increase running 10% per week

:eat: Nutrition
    *NO CHOCOLATE, COOKIES, CRACKERS, CEREAL WITH SUGAR, POPCORN, CHIPS, LUNA BARS, ZONE BARS, LARA BARS
    *ONE TALL SOY LATTE PER DAY-2 shots-NO COFFEE AFTER 10 AM
    *Allowed carbs: Ezekiel cereal, hunger filler bread, brown rice, kamut pasta, Greens Plus Bars or Jay Bars (1 or less per day)
    *Calories: approx 50% carb, 30% protein, 20% fat-1700 low days-1900 high days
    *2 free meals per week with calories tracked
    *Track every bite on FitDay
    *Plan every meal

:claplow: GOALS
    *RUN 3 miles no pain
    *Lose 10 pounds and 6% bodyfat
    *Decrease thigh circumference

:read: REPORTING
    *Daily post will include workouts performed and calories eaten and next day's plan
    *If all parts of the plan were followed the previous day, I will add another day to the total of consecutive "Perfect" days I have in my tally. Failing to follow the guidelines above will reset my total to zero.
    *Measurements and photos will be taken on May 1, June 1, and July 1.
    *Scale weight will only be taken once a week on Friday morning.
    *No restarts although reasonable modifications for illness or injury are permitted.

18. Yvette

Yvette Well-Known Member

OK, here are my stats that I took on Saturday.
    Height: 5'7
    Weight: 138.2 Goal 128
    BF% 20.3 Omron 21.8 Tanita Goal 18%

Plan: Following BFFM book

Workout: 4 Day weight training split 5-6 days cardio per week.

Weigh/measure/photograph weekly

Utilizing Dietpower to log all food. 1 cheat meal per week if all goals were met and enough calories were banked in Dietpower.

5-6 meals per day spaced no more than 3hrs apart.

1 Gallon of water per day

All vitamins taken daily (Multi, C, Calcium, Grapeseed Extract, Chromium, Joint Soother)

All Supplements taken daily (Glutamine, L-Carn., Creatine, ALA)

I have had 3 good days so far but since the challenge officially began of May 1st you can log me for 2. :claphigh:

May 1st: 46c/38P/16F 38 Min. Back/Bicep workout. 45 Min. Eliptical All meals and water on schedule.

May 2nd: 46c/45p/9f 30 Min HIIT Treadmill jog/walk
    All meals and water on schedule

19. causticmuse

5/2/05 Report
    Consecutive Perfect Days = 2
    Total Perfect Days = 2/62

Workouts:
    - P90X Chest and Back (60 minutes)
    - P90X Abs (20 minutes)

Nutrition:
    - 1657 calories, 50.4% carb, 33.8% protein, 17.2% fat
    - No unauthorized meals
    - All supplements taken
    - 16 cups water

:tucool:

20. Savyart

5/2/05 Report

Consecutive Perfect Days = 2:tucool:
    Total Perfect Days = 2/62

Workouts:
    - MaxOT
    *2 mile walk was missed due to weather, which was allowed per my plan.

Nutrition:
    - 1327 calories, 39% carb, 41% protein, 21% fat
    - No unauthorized meals
    - All supplements taken
    - 146 fl oz
    - Diet Power Score 126% (A++)