1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-race meal

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by seripham4, Oct 3, 2011.

1. seripham4

seripham4 Active Member

I'm doing my first race in two weeks. It's called the Spartan Sprint. It's only a 5k but it's a crossfit race. Lots of obstacles and side challenges. I'm looking for a good prerace meal for breakfast. My heat is at 11:30. Also wondering what to eat the night before. Thanks for the advice.

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

There's no "one-size-fits-all" type meal that will answer your question. But generally you want to be well hydrated. Sports type drinks work well here. Your final large meal should be about 12 hours prior to comp. You want to avoid slow digesting foods like high fiber foods, foods high in fat, but oatmeal and pasta should be good to go. The final two weeks, maintaining proper sodium levels is also crucial to help the body retain water, thus avoiding any dehydration issues during the event. So don't be reluctant to salt your foods. If you can tolerate whole foods, I would finish the pre race meal 2 hours prior to the event using low protein and steady releasing carbs. If you do not tolerate whole foods before a meet, use a drink with added carbs, like ground oatmeal and some protein powder. I would also continue sipping on your sports drink but don't go too overboard as this can lead to electrolyte imbalances.

Good Luck! :tucool:

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

Eat what you would eat the night and morning before a training run. Don't do anything differently.

It's not a very long event; I wouldn't worry about carb-loading or any special food or drink. My $.02. :)