1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Powertec WB-LS

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Fernslinger, Feb 27, 2006.

1. DaveH

DaveH Active Member

Looks right to me. Of course I just put mine together last week, so I am definitely not an expert. :nope:

On another note, a few questions on doing bench press with the wbls. Did my first work out yesterday and I couldn't find a position that had a good 'feel' to it. The bench is pretty high for me (I'm 5'10"), so I can't put my feet on the floor without straining my lower back. I put the leg attachment on and placed my feet on the lower pads, which was ok, but I felt more strain on my shoulders than my chest, as I had to raise the bench one notch from horizontal. Does anyone else do this? Also, given that the powertec arm moves in an arch, where (horizontally) should my hands be in relation to my chest at the start of the movement? Sternum-level, nipple-level? Thanks in advance.

2. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

The bench shouldn't be horizontal for flat benching...it should be inclined so that it's inline with the starting angle of the arm. This will reduce any arcing dramatically. For me (5'8")...it works best when I've got 6 open holes showing below the locking pin. For inclines, it's 4 open holes, but I also raise the arm one position. Hope that helps.

#82 Kino, Sep 29, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  3. DaveH

DaveH Active Member

Thanks Kino, that did the trick. Six holes worked for me as well. Bench press felt really good.

4. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

Out of curiosity, how much does the arm weigh for bench press? Lately, I've just been counting the weights as the arm is pretty light but it'd be nice to know the true weight.

Edit: And it is me or does the rubber pads really stink something strong on this workbench? After 3 weeks it still has this overwelming new smell coming from the rubber, and it's getting old fast.

#84 Denzalo, Oct 8, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2006
  5. Fernslinger

Fernslinger Well-Known Member

I have no clue what the arm weighs. The stink will eventually go away though.

6. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

In reality, the weight of the arm will change in respect to it's position due to the varying force exhibited against the pivoy point. Below horizontal, the arm will have more relative weight than above horizontal. I threw a fish scale on it once, and the bar showed a weight in excess of 25lbs at and below horizontal. Due to the size of the scale, I wasn't able to get acurate measurements above horizontal, because my arm was just too high in the air.
    I'd suggest just using the plate weights as your reference, and just forget about the weight of the arm. If you're looking to be able to say "I'm lifting X amount of weight" on the machine to compare to your buddies barbell lifts...you're wasting your time. You won't see that machine weight carry over to barbell lifts.
    Keep an eye on your own progress, and you'll be very happy to see your results.

7. Joe1980

Joe1980 Well-Known Member

Hi, i saw some time ago an older model of the WB-LS. I think that one has a big advantage to the newest model i got.

My bench only got 3 holes under the seat to adjust the seat. The old model i saw got more then 6 holes to adjust the seat.

I think you can go flatter for bench press with this adjust options the old model got.
    Does anyone have this older model and could say something about it?

Cu
    Joe

8. mazaffar

mazaffar Well-Known Member

What modifications are you doing to your wb-ls?

9. mazaffar

which part was faulty?

10. mazaffar

what problem did you have?

11. Fernslinger

Has anyone broken the removable knob used when extending the bench? I have broken 2 in the last month. Each time I was doing leg extensions. I think too much leverage is being placed on the knob when doing this exercise. The Powertec website shows the bench fully extended for leg extensions, but I am going to do them with the bench retracted from now on.

12. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

No, but I did have it slip out because I didn't screw it in all the way. I got lazy and tried to get away with just a few threads, wasn't smart at all of course. The extended position is a very tight fit, I have to either push the assembly down, or pull on the raised bench part just so I can get the holes lined up. That was scary when it slipped out, I almost flew from the bench. Now I too use the retracted position when doing leg extensions. :)

13. Fernslinger

Well, I talked to Powertec and they are sending me another knob. They also recommend doing leg extensions with the bench retracted even though their literature shows the opposite.

14. Swifty-UK

Swifty-UK Well-Known Member

I have modified my WB-LS so that i don`t use the plastic knob to hold the bench when in the extended position.
    I drilled a 13mm horizontal hole through the bench and frame and now use one of the ballbearing pins to lock it in position.
    I use the pin that holds the pads whick keep your legs in position when doing lat pulldowns and have altered my routine accordingly.

Attached Files:

15. edge600

edge600 Active Member

hi to everyone,i was looking around for something on the exersizes for the wb-ls and found this site. if anyone is interested i modified mine for the squat, i am a welder by trade so it was easy for me.what i did was to drill a hole in the vertical part of the machine so when i was standing,i put a 1 " pin in the hole.now when i do squats,i stand at the machine ,pull out the pin,and i still leave the pin that came with the machine for safty.i didnt like to start off in the down position.i will try to get a picture. good luck to everyone this year!

16. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

New exercise to try

I found myself wishing that I could do overhead tricep extensions instead of the tricep pushdowns on the WB-LS. I have a barbell but its the supersized olympic style, and a EZ bar which is hell on the wrists if you try it on that.

I pivoted the bench to the side and put the chain and straight bar on the bottom pulley and sat down on the floor (butt in front of the frame, on the metal plate.) and if you had a way to keep yourself upright you could do some satisfying reps this way. I had to lean my head forward so I could get the right vector going, but the chain was just right length for me. The reps felt good and isolated.

You could try this with the bench out if you had a really long chain I bet (probably in the declined position though due to the bench possibly being in the way, but easier on the butt.)

17. FatBill2

FatBill2 Active Member

Here is my take on this machine...

Pros:
    Great leverage press, good pulley for the pull downs. Heavy duty quality on the basic structure.

Cons:
    Bench positioning is terrible. That plastic sheath around the adjustable pin rod is crap. It's not built to last and if it doesnt break the friction will eventually break it down. Mine sticks to the rod when I pull it out to raise the bench and need to wrestle it back in. Then there is the spring loaded pin which feels like it is in a race with the plastic sheath to the dump. I gave up adjusting the bench which means no shoulders and incline on this.

Cons cont'd:
    The assemby was tough. I consider myself decent when it comes to putting things together but the majority of the pieces were labled incorrectly. I had to guess which screw size went where. Some of my nuts were not threaded so technically my machine is not 100% built. A lot of parts look similar so it wasn't fun.

Summary:
    I can't say I regret buying it. Being able to jump on the bench at anytime without a spot has done a lot for me and few machines had a good pull down and bench option for a newbie. I anticipate the Squat will get me started on those as well.

If I did it again I would probably get two separate stations. One good bench setup and a back station. As disappointed I am in the quality of the bench's mechanics, I am looking to Powertech to fill desire to have assisted dip/pull up machine. I want to do these but can't lift my body weight very well.

18. jesse1

jesse1 Well-Known Member

19. Kino

Kino Well-Known Member

Sounds as if you may have installed that plastic sheath wrong. There's actually a tab that when installed correctly, will hold it in place. Also...I'm not going to break out the instructions to see if they say to or not, but if you put some light oil on the adjustment arm that slides through the sheath, you find that everything moves alot better.
    I didn't find out about these things until I had cracked the first sheath that was on the machine. :rolleyes: The good part, is that Powertec has a great Service Department. I think that you'll find Jake very willing to take care of any problems that you ever run into with the machine.
    I built mine twice (moved it from one room into another), so the issues I ran into on the first go-around were corrected the second time...and I haven't had a problem since.

Best of luck! :tu:

20. whc

whc Active Member

Sorry I know this in an old thread, but am about to consider buying this machine (WB-LS), and since I live far from the US or other countries that sell Powertec it is kind of hard to decide if I should go for it without even trying it, and this forum seems to have some users with experience with Powertec equipment.

Well first of all to you owners or who have owned this machine, is it worth spending the money on? Are you still satisfied with the machine?

My plan is to put the machine in my bedroom/office, but a room at only 310 x 330 cm (122" x 130"), it is not exactly allot of room, so have to be sure if it will fit, the measurement on the Powertec site states 101” x 56”, that sounds fine, and I could make room for it, but the top/bottom pully when in use the “arm” in the back goes what appears to be quite far out back, so my second question is.

How far out back does the “arm” with are activated by the pully goes, I mean just without the weights and if you say the machine is 101” long how many inches room do I need in the back?

And some concern to reading people getting machines with twisted tower, and off center bench compared to the bench press handles, and some stuff braking off from the seat when adjusting the angle, is there more to be concerned about or is it things of the past?

And how is the squat accessory for the bench press handles, is it good in actual use, though only 300 LBS of weights it can handle seems like very little, is it true or is there ways to make it stronger?

And dips is it good to that two? I weigh about 210 LBS and with some extra weight will it withstand the weight?

Really hope someone out there who can help me, it looks like an awesome machine, just what I need and have room for, a great combination of free weights and safety of a machine.

#100 whc, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008