1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Power Rack Height Requirements

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by arsenic, Dec 4, 2006.

1. arsenic

arsenic Active Member

Good morning everyone. I'm new here - I've been reading quite a bit here and I think I've determined that I would like to purchase a power rack for home use. My question is, how much height above the power rack should you have??

The reason I ask this is the room I'd like to turn into my workout room is only about 87" tall. I see a lot of power racks in the 80-84" range. Now, I know if I want to do chin ups I'll be out of luck, but right now that's not really a problem because I can't do even one :/ However, besides chin up or any weight lifting exercise were I'd want to lift a bar over my head, is there any reason I need a minimum amount of space between the cage and my ceilng?

I believe I could get a little more room in small areas by removing specific ceilng tiles (drop ceiling installed). But I'd certainly like to avoid that as much as possible.

Sorry for being so long-winded and for the simple question. From what I've read I don't think I'll have a problem, but I wanted to check with those that've done it already!
    Ron

2. kmfisher

kmfisher Well-Known Member

My basement's even lower, and I have no chance of getting a full rack in there. So, I use a half rack and built a cheap chinup bar out of pipe from Home Depot and put it up in the garage. A simple solution.

I'd prefer to have a full rack, so I'd still get it if I was you!

3. arsenic

arsenic Active Member

thanks for the repsonse fisher. i just wasn't sure if there was something i was missing that i'd need more room.

i did search a bit before i posted this thread, but apparently not enough. i found several instances after i posted this where people say that they've fit a rack in a room with just an inch to spare! i think i should be good to go. time to start my journey on saying goodbye to the fat man.

ron