1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Possibly Overtraining? *routine inside*

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Dubrock, Aug 8, 2005.

1. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

Right! That was just a list of the big compound exercises. I couldn't even imagine doing all that in one day. Maybe someone on androgens, but not me!

2. Timbermiko

Timbermiko Well-Known Member

You have to remember, some people don't have the recuperative ability to handle that much volume, drug free no less.
    I beleive if a person is working at the right intensity, they wouldn't want to come back the next day. If working sub-max. you may
    get away with it. Also, what is excellent gains?

3. bradh

bradh Well-Known Member

I workout 2 days in a row quite often and i work hard, especially if the first day was chest/tris.

4. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Intensity is relative my man.
    For me, steady increase in size and strength would constitute excellent gains.

5. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Absolutely false. Just because someone can workout two days in a row, they are not giving it their all? Purely conjecture, and your last two sentences are both condescending and unnecessary.

I workout every day from Monday - Thursday right now. I can only lift those four days of the week, so I do. You can bet when I leave the gym, I haven't got an ounce of energy left, yet I still, despite my soreness, fatigue, etc, make it back the next day and again, give it everything I've got.

Furthermore, I see the same guys at the gym everyday, some of which, surely, working out more than one day in a row is not halting their gains if you know what I mean.

6. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

This thread started because someone felt he might be overtraining. Many agreed that his workout might contribute to overtraining. Others suggested that wasn't overtraining and keep it up.

If more than 4 days out of 7 are spent sore and fatigued, I would review what my training consist of and if I might be overtraining. You shouldn't be in pain all the time. :confused:

7. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I agree. Someone just beginning a training program might expect to be sore all the time. But after an adjustment period, this should decrease. And ability to get through sets should not regularly drop off. (Timbermiko, I personally prefer to a take a day off between workouts most of the time. But natural traininers who work out and come back the next day and work a different muscle group have great strength and size gains. Don't know how you could say they dont)

8. karatetricker

Not sure what you're getting at? I'm sore maybe 2-4 days of the week. DOMS are often expected when you are lifting intensely, so I don't see how that correlates to overtraining. It's not like immovable sore, but I know I worked out the day before. There is nothing to review in that respect.

I know why the thread started, and I half agreed with some and half with others. I don't think he is overtraining every day, just his chest/shoulders/triceps day. And even that is an individual thing. Some guys do 30+ sets in workout and are bigger than I (or many others) will ever be. Likewise, many guys do half the sets I do and same thing, are huge. That is what irks me when people continue to say you "must do less than X sets or you're overtraining". It's simply not the same for everyone.

9. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

I might have misread what you said. I thought you were sore and fatiqued everyday after a workout and did not give yourself time to recover. If you are happy with results, fine. :gl:

10. karatetricker

You didn't misread, you simply misunderstood. Admittedly, leg and back workouts especially leave me 'dead' at the end of the workout. Those two usually lead to a good amount of soreness the next day, but I still go to the gym the next day and make it through my workout just fine. Fatigue was perhaps not the best word I could have used. At the end of the workout, I am fatigued, no doubt. However, it's nothing some food and a good night's sleep doesn't help overcome for the next day.

I have found no difference in my performance when working out a muscle directly the day after it's worked indirectly as opposed to when it's "fresh".

11. Timbermiko

Well, ok....
    Can i ask you what kind of poundages you are using?
    And your measurements?

12. karatetricker

I was not the one who claimed excellent gains, although I do agree Doordude has had them.

However, if you wish to know a few, then sure, I'll give you what I know offhand. I'm a hair under 5'6", 15" arms cold (flexed), waist is about 30.5" and I weigh in around 155-157 lbs... body fat must be around 10-11%.

The amount I lift is irrelevant because there are countless factors that determine what weight one uses such as tempo, reps, sets, etc. However, to give you an idea, I've squatted anywhere from 200-300 lbs for 10-12 reps, deadlift mid 200s and I can probably max bench around 225-250 lbs (I use 80 lb dumbbells for a set of 12 with ease).

I'm not Arnold, but I'm pretty pleased...

And what is your point for asking, to mock me and turn this into a e-pissing contest?

13. jsbrook

jsbrook Well-Known Member

I don't think measurements are really relevant. It doesn't seem to be karatetricker's goal to be big. But then, it doesn't seem to be yours either these days. But there ARE lifters with solid size who train two days in a row. It's just not optimal in my opinion. But people definitely have great results. I think FastGTX is one with some good size who trains like this.

14. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

That question reminds me of the time someone asked me what kind of salary I made. What the hell does that have to do with anything.Again, it's all relative.

15. Timbermiko

Whati see on these boards is a lot of people trying to find a way.
    A way to increase size, a way to increase strength. What i also see is guys, not all mind you, slaving away in the gym for hours on end and getting miniscule results for the time and effort put in.
    Another thing i see is people wonder why they're legs ( when they are messing around with 185 on the squat) or another bodybart is not developed the way they thought it would be...again for the time and effort put in. Hit the big lifts...train them hard. Limit the sets...be progressive...get plenty of rest and food...have a lot of patience and determination and then the bar will grow and so will you. :tu:

16. karatetricker

Whether or not you're trying to indirectly target me, I don't know, nor care. However, thought I'd mention, for the record, my workouts last 40-60 mins, tops.

17. doordude42

doordude42 Senior Member

Mine too. That's the beauty of splits.

18. tennisball

tennisball Well-Known Member

And if you do ABBH correctly, you're in the gym 20-30mins tops. That's not to say I don't do extra...

19. Timbermiko

you need to chill...no one is "targetting you"
    Good lifts by the way.

20. karatetricker

Yeah, that's how Max-OT was for me. It's also one of the reasons I stopped doing it. Even though I saw great results, I never felt like I had really worked out. Maybe it was my own lack of intensity, but I don't think so. I prefer my workouts to last closer to 45-60 mins, personally.