1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Portioned "Clean" Food Challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by eccent, Apr 29, 2007.

1. eccent

eccent Active Member

Hi all. I have never done this before. But I guess it's time to start. The challenge is simple - Clean food ( your definition of clean of course with due reason) and portioned serving (I heard that it's measured by your fist, esp if it's carbohydrates). It's a weekly thingie.

Any slacks or cheats would have to be updated to the your post for the week. And the bad nutrients/reason you can possibly come up with.

***Rule: Just write the dates in the week that you're involved in the title.

#1 eccent, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. eccent

eccent Active Member

Mon 30th Apr to Sun 6th May 2007

Okie.. Here I am. Food is always a problem for me. Sugar craving, eating out of boredom, eat whatever is easy or at hand, so on and on. So from now on, I'm going to watch out for myself.

It's the first Clean portioned or portioned clean food which ever come first.

My Clean definition: Natural, High fibre content, Low fat content, Low saturated fats, Oil-free to a little oily food
    Present obstacles to overcome:

Bread-easy thing to prepare for breakfast and snack-But it's processed and it's just that I'm carb-sensitive. hahaha The last time I add it to my meals and snacks, it doesn't help at all.

Sugar-it's always in any of the cold drinks-It's BAD. Final. Period.

TARGET FOOD INTAKE: (I'm not sure whether this need to be per meal or day so for now it's per day for me)

Base on my minimum food intake of 1400Cal

Carbohydrates 40% - 560Cal
    Proteins 30% - 420Cal
    Fats 10%- 140Cal Max (Won't be mentioning about fats in the meals as long as they're kept to minimal)
    Others(food with vitamins & minerals & fibre) 20%- 280Cal

Eating plan: 3 main meals with 1-2 snacking.

Main meals- Not more than 400Cal- For this I'll -/+ the target to get the total consumption. Sample meal would be...

Carb-180Cal; Protein-140Cal And an example would be:
    -1 cup of rice or equivalent,
    -vegetables(most of them contain so the remaining carb goes here),
    -low fat content meat- Hmm..140Cal is hard to picture so I guess I'll go by table spoon size. Maybe about 3tsp of meat. If it's from soy then it's about 5tsp.

Snacks- Around 100Cal - seems that only fruits, fresh vegetables and small amount of nuts can fit in this requirement.

[Phew... that's some work up there, It's not a wonder some people never get started :P]

Mon 30th Apr to Sun 6th May 2007

Mon 30 Apr:
    Okay I just finished my last meal of the day. reporting at 9.30pm on Mon. Overall I did pretty good. All calories are estimated.

10am: Steamed white rice about 1/3 cup-80Cal, spiced Mackerel chunk 5tsp-200Cal, Stirred fried vegetables-6tsp-150Cal

1.30pm: Rice noodle with chicken pieces and bitter gouge - 400Cal, 4 pieces of rose apple- 40Cal

4pm: Rose apple 4 pieces- 40Cal, 1 small mango-120Cal

8pm: Noodles in soup (slightly concentrated due to addition of corn flour) with 2 pieces of pork, 1 prawn, and steamed vegetables (corn&broccoli) 450Cal

MONDAY TOTAL: 1480Cal

Tue 1 May:

THE GOOD:
    Lots of proteins today from nuts and meat. Had salad with cereals (substitute this for the chips)

THE BAD: 1 Donut, 1 piece of cake Ouch... NO MORE..

THE PORTION: Not bad for the snacks, a bit too much on the main meals.

THE TOTAL: 1600Cal

Wed 2 May

THE GOOD: Some raw vegetables and brown rice (wholegrain)

THE BAD: Dark chocolate, white bread

THE PORTION: still a bit too much on the main meals.

THE TOTAL: 1700Cal

Thu 3 May

THE GOOD: Raw vegetables, brown rice (wholegrain)

THE BAD: sweetened condensed milk(added to my cup of cocoa), sago, 1/4 bites from the Auntie Aunt's original (salted one)

THE PORTION: not too good need to have better plans

THE TOTAL: 1600Cal

Fri 4 May

THE GOOD: Raw vegetables, Nuts

THE BAD: sweetened condensed milk(again to cocoa drink but I figure it's better than sugar), Cheesecake

THE PORTION: too many and too much in certain meals

THE TOTAL: 1750Cal

Sat 5 May

THE GOOD: the only one piece of mango

THE BAD: sweetened condensed milk(again to cocoa drink but I figure it's better than sugar), biscuits

THE PORTION: I think I did not bad here.

THE TOTAL: 1650Cal

Sun 6 May

THE GOOD: Nuts, Apple, bananas, tropical fruits-Langsat

THE BAD: sweetened fruity drink

THE PORTION: portions and meals need more planning

THE TOTAL: 1750Cal

Mon results: Left me thinking that maybe noodles are meant to be a part of my life. hahaha.. Will have to check the body fat this week before final word can be said about this habit.

Tue results: No more seeking/putting/finding temptation. Cakes & Donut are mostly butter+sugar+flour. All of this are too easy to digest. Look for more complex carb!

Wed results: Really high Carb diet today. Will have to see whether this will affect my body fats result for the week. Tomorrow will go for lower carb, zig-zag diet might help. :D Dark Chocolate is not so bad I guess, at least it's known to help women during a certain situation eh eh ;) . As for white-bread I ate coz there was no other choices for purchase. So the best strategy for future is to pack healthy emergency meals!

Thu results: Meals' quantity and frequency need to be rechecked.

Fri results: NEED more planning for the meals!!!

Sat&Sun: Didn't get myself eating too much bad food which is good. Portioning wasn't very successful.

#2 eccent, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  3. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

I'm in

Hello eccent, thanks for starting the challenge.

Ok, I really want to control my eating this week, so here are my objectives:

- Around 5 meals/day: 8am, 11:30am, 3pm, 6:30pm, 9h30pm
    - No snacking between meals
    - Smaller (i.e. less than what I eat now) servings
    - Allowed foods: whole bread, fresh or steamed vegetables (except cooked carrots), lean beef, chicken breast, brown rice, quinoa, wheat kernels, oatmeal, jerky
    - Absolutely forbidden: sugary drinks and foods, white-anything, chocolate, etc
    - Suplements: protein shakes after the weightlifting sessions (3 per week), 1 pill of vitamin C everyday

I'm not sure about being able to count exactly calories and such, but I'll try.
    Let's suppose that I need around 3000 Kcals/day as a baseline (excluding cardio or weightlifting).

Tomorrow I will post the start weight and body fat. At the end of the week, we'll hopefully see some results.

Updates:

Monday:
    Weight & BF: 92.3 Kg (203.5lbs), 27.8% - The very bad results of a party with friends on Sunday
    Total meals: 2350 kcals
    Total activity: -1100 kcals
    -----------------------
    Total 1250 !!!

It seems that I've didn't eat enough. Strange!

Tuesday:
    Total meals: 2400 kcals
    Total activity: -1500 kcals
    -----------------------
    Total 900 !!!
    Good: scrambled egg white with cheese, salad
    Bad: chocolate
    Portions: 4 meals, but one was quite big

Wednesday:
    Total Meals: 2500
    Total Activity: -500
    Good: lean beef, oatmeal, fruits
    Bad: Cookies
    Portions: 5

Thursday:
    Total Meals: 3000
    Total Activity: -800
    Good: a lot of salad
    Bad: Chocolate

Friday:
    Total Meals: 2800
    Total Activity: -400
    Good: oatmeal, white chicken breast
    Bad: Pizza

Saturday:
    Total Meals: 2600
    Total Activity: 0 (it was raining outside)
    Good: white chicken breast, fruits
    Bad: leftover pizza
    Portions: 4

Sunday:
    Total Meals: NA
    Total Activity: -3000 (3h30 of bicycle)
    Good: lean beef, fruits, vegetables
    Bad: Party with friend: pizza, coca-cola

End results:
    91.7 Kg (202.2lbs), 27.5%
    0.6 kg of fat lost

I would have done so much better if I would succeeded to control myself during the party :(

Cheers,
    Dan

#3 DarkCloud, Apr 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 7, 2007
  4. eccent

eccent Active Member

Hi Dan. Good to see you here as well haha we met in the Perfect week challenge remember?

Dan, you like sweetened drink too? I guess it's time we come off them! :D I'm leaving out white bread as well but I guess for me I'll make allowance for white rice. I tried to switch to dark chocolate but I think it's better to be off them all: CHOCOLATE - ALCOHO.. ETC Juz
    playing prank here.

Today's my first day for this challenge. I'll do my best. I've got to hop on the bike now before I get to work :>

5. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Of course I remember you: the lady with the iced plum drink addiction
    :D

Dark chocolate can be very nice. I'm quite an "connaisseur" on chocolates (of course, after eating so many of them). Basically anything with more than 70% cocoa is ok. However, you may not like the taste too much, as the vast majority of chocolates are made with species of cocoa beans (forastero and trinitario) that are quite bitter and require a lot of sugar and milk. There is some chocolate made with the best beans (criollo) that has a much more nicer taste even for higher cocoa concentrations (up to 85%). This is a little more difficult to find and of course, quite expensive.
    However the problem with chocolate is that it is packed with energy and it is very easy to "overdose" :nod:

Else, motivation is the key and what better motivation could be than avoiding having to admit your failure to the whole forum. So, ahead with challenges.

Cheers,
    Dan

6. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

Uh oh, a clean food challenge?

I think we've proven repeatedly that I'm not very good at these :P

Oh, and I'm a big dark chocolate guy too. I got pretty heavy on it at one point, deciding to rationalize the consumption rate because of "antioxidants" and therefore it was "healthy" to be constantly snacking on dark chocolate. Hah.

7. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Hi Azaroth,

Oh, let's see, somebody said that:

:neener:

I totally understand what is to go out with friends and have beer, pizza, kebabs and french fries. That's why I joined this challenge, to keep me motivated.

8. eccent

eccent Active Member

Dan, you sure have good memory! :lol:

Hmm...And here I thought that a person that is masochistic for workout should also be so in the area of eating. eh eh...

This calories counting process or awareness is really tedious. But I guess it would be great for the long run. Really get my rusty brain to work the calories out. :confused:

I tried working out without cleaning my diet results- no weight loss/gain

I tried reducing my portions without cleaning them. Didn't check my BMR at that time. - quick loss/gain

So I hope finally I'm getting it right by cleaning them up and having enough portion to keep from the yoyo. Oh of course exercises is always included in all the options taken.

9. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

Haha, yeah. I'm really fantastic with it most of the time, but I've accepted my shortcomings as well. If someone shoves chinese takeout infront of my face, there's not much I can do about it. I don't feel good about it afterward, but I still eat it.

Obviously I'm doing something right though, since I'm down 20 pounds in 2 months. But as can be seen in my "perfection challenge" threads, I mess up pretty often. Bad willpower :P

10. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

You keep mentioning that word "willpower". What does it means? ;)

11. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Yeah, but it gets easier with time. You'll look at one piece of cake and think: another 800 Kcals, just 1 hour of running :mad:. And sometimes, you may eat the cake, most times not.

In the end, consistency is the key factor. It is better to continue each day to take the good choices. Again, with time it gets easier.
    I take a huge penalty whenever I'm cheating. Especially when drinking beer with friends: that goes directly to my belly :cry:

Dan

12. Azaroth

Azaroth Active Member

I suggest writing it all down and using a site like http://www.calorie-count.com/ to figure things out. It also helps to keep things simple by eating chicken breasts and vegetables and stuff - things you can weigh and calculate near exactly the calories.

It's the ability to keep yourself from doing something that you may want to do, but know you shouldn't. Basically the ability to resist temptation. It's also something I've lacked my entire life :D

13. eccent

eccent Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion Azaroth. But most of the time my typical meal is not listed on the easy calorie counting list and it's always easier to eat-out than DIY meals. Mine is Asian culture so the menus found in the market is quite difficult to count.

btw, just wondering "willpower" is it also the will to do what you believe that it's right? Like exercise! hahaha I'll hopping on the bike to do my late morning cardio (holiday tends to get to you), hence exercising my willpower :D.

Oh and it seems that we can choose the right as to whether we want to exercise the willpower or not, right? :lol:

14. eccent

eccent Active Member

Hello Dan. Did you juz had 2 meals today? I'm feeling kinda lazy to post all the detail as well actually. Maybe it can be juz

-final calories
    -good food
    -bad food
    -how well we portioned them

Juz a suggestion here :D

15. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Hi eccent,

Actually, I'm updating the message continuously and at the end of the day, i just summarize everything. I really want to survey my eating habits this week in order to see if I'm doing something wrong.

It seems that I eat too little for my needs (especially when physical activity is involved), but I feel ok and I can do a lot of effort without feeling exhausted.
    My problem is that sometimes, i cheat and eat a lot and I want to eliminate that.
    When I'm eating correctly I drop weight very fast (2-5 pounds/week) without losing muscles. I'm still a fatie, but I'm improving. (Is for the girls, you know. :D)

Ok, I will remember to write bad/good foods too,
    Cheers,
    Dan

16. eccent

eccent Active Member

Hey Dan. Talking about counting calories. IMO and so far what I've read from the site, you get the numbers of required calories per day by

First calculate your (Basal Metabolic rate) BMR

370 + (lean body mass x 21.6) = BMR

Then your Total daily energy expenditure (TDEE)

BMR x (activity factor) = TDEE

1.2 sedentary; 1.375 lightly active; 1.55 moderate active; 1.725 very active

Then if you're cutting, you can cut your TDEE by %. The recommended is about 15-20%

So TDEE x 0.2 = What you need to eat per day.

17. eccent

eccent Active Member

Hello there. Dan, actually it's best to write in the format that suits to each one of us. As long as we're happy with the progress. But the calories minus step that you did is a little strange you know.

Some research found that chocolate is good for the brain. ;)

18. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Hello eccent,

Oki-doki,

I want to do the calories minus step just to see what are the calories that remains after any sport activities. And I compare that to the 3000 Kcals for the TDEE.

I think the formula is:
    TDEE x 0.8 = What you need to eat per day

Cheers,
    Dan

19. eccent

eccent Active Member

Opps... my mistake. And thanks for the correction. :nod::tu:

Hey Dan do you have a sweet tooth? Good to see some men sharing the same temptation for certain types of food. :p

I was in the supermarket today and walked pass the chocolate shelves. I was thinking how chocolate with 80%+ cocoa would taste but I "will" myself not to look or buy them, at least not this month (for a start). Since you're a dark choc-lover, may I ask how does it taste like? much more bitter than the 72% ones?

20. DarkCloud

DarkCloud Active Member

Of course I like cookies and chocolate stuff. I'm a bit :doh:overweight and I try to rid myself of such bad habits :o. But I have a friend (a girl) that likes chocolate a lot. I always buy some chocolate in case she visits me. So what happens is that we open the chocolate bar or box together, but we don't finish all the chocolate, and then I try to keep myself far away from the temptation (the chocolate, not the girl :lol:). However, sometimes I fail :(.

It really depends on the chocolate. As a rule, I'd say yes, it is somewhat bitter and it is very much an acquired taste. I've tried even a 98% chocolate. Very nasty stuff, but interesting.
    Some people may never like the dark chocolate. You should try some and see if you like or not. Some suggestions: the more expensive black chocolate is not always the tastier. Try pure black chocolate (without fruits/nuts), take a bite and keep the chocolate in the mouth until it dissolves, don't just eat it. After some time you may find that you like the taste. There are some good things in dark chocolate: less sugar, more cocoa (which has a lot of advantages: energy, stamina, etc), and you will only able to eat a few bites at a time and not a full bar as for the milk chocolate.
    However, if you like better the 72% than 80%, then go ahead with that. It is very good and also healthy (no excesses of course)