1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

pork question

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by mgullic, May 10, 2007.

1. mgullic

mgullic Active Member

I recently purchased a couple of pieces of pork that were quite good and I am wondering what cut it actually was. It was simply labeled "Lean Pork Steak" and I have been trying to find the nutritional information behind it but there is nothing that is simply just "Lean Pork Steak." So I am wondering if any of you know what cut it is. It was about the size of my open hand (I have big hands) and it had a bone in it. It weighed 1 pound out of the package, but I trimmed off probably about 1-2 oz of fat, and the bone weighed 2 oz. It had some fat on the outside that I trimmed off, but other than that the fat was fairly minimal for it being a piece of pork. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

What shape was the bone, and did it curve around the edge like a chop? If so, it was a chop. However.....

It was much more likely a Shoulder Blade steak form the pork shoulder butt portion. These are usually pretty fatty though, but it can be trimmed to lean it out.

3. mgullic

mgullic Active Member

The bone was fairly straight with sort of like a knob at one end. So it is probably a pretty leaned out blade steak?

Also, when figuring out nutritional values, how do you calculate it with a bone still in there? Some of the sites I have been looking at say, " Pork, Fresh, Shoulder, Blade, Boston (Steaks) - Separable Lean Only, Cooked, Broiled" then I choose the 3 oz portion. Is this for a cooked piece of meat without a bone?

4. AnonIMust

AnonIMust Well-Known Member

Yes, it was most certainly certainly a shoulder blade. Keep in mind this is a super fatty cut of meat, essentially the whole butt version is what slow barbecued pulled pork is made from. :drool: Fantastic eats, but I'd be careful making this part of your regular low fat diet. :)
    Yes, that sounds like the lean meat portion. Bear in mind, this probably assumes you have done a REAL GOOD job of trimming the meat.