1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

popping shoulders when doing dumbell lateral raises

Discussion in 'Weight Training/Bulking' started by Jikbot, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Jikbot

Jikbot Active Member

Is this a concern? My shoulders click and pop when I do this exercise, I can feel something moving around in there... I try different motions/angles but I can't seem to get them to quiet down. Don't want to wear something out.

2. Denzalo

Denzalo Active Member

I get the same thing so I'm sticking with military presses for now. Maybe try to find other ways to work shoulders without clicking them?

3. elhewie

elhewie Active Member

1- Warm up thoroughly (local warm up of the working joint).
    2- Increase weight gradually.
    3- Stay within normal range of motion.
    4- Stay focused, avoid distraction.

Popping and clicking is due to motion of fluid in bursas around tendons. If a rotator cuff muscle is thin, due to lack of training, it acts as a sharp string that sweeps bursa around.

With training, the thin muscle bulks and develops better cushioning, thus less clicking and popping.

4. Jikbot

Jikbot Active Member

Seems reasonable. I'll see what happens; I recall when I was training before that it really never stopped. It seems to get better if I hold my shoulders higher during the motions, and with this latest advice I'll continue with this exercise to see if it stops all together.

I always forget to mention that my left shoulder is unstable due to multiple dislocations and my right isn't so hot either, which may factor into this sort of thing. I have pretty good control over it, just can't do certain things.

5. TylerGred

TylerGred Well-Known Member

Off set the lift 30 degrees.

Do some band warm ups....

I suggest you head over to T-nation and read the Shoulder Saver articles..

6. elhewie

elhewie Active Member

That complicates matter. You should attempt to provide a full picture of what is happening.

- How did you get multiple dislocations?
    - How do you describe each of those dislocations?
    - What do you do for living?
    - How do you describe your training experience?

My concern is whether you have inherent anatomical anomaly? Or whether your training habits are causing your struggle?

7. GRCRYSTYK

GRCRYSTYK Well-Known Member

Shoulders can be very troublesome,..Then if actually injured, take forever to heal,..

I have the opposite problem,...I can do lateral raises, but the pressing motion, is what ,makes my left shoulder pop. It's painful to boot. If I'm really careful, I can slightly adjust the angle of my shoulder, and it won't catch. I use to have this happen when doing seated shoulder presses, and taking the bar from the rack behind my head. It would set the shoulder up for the popping. If I didn't take the weight from behind my head, I wouldn't get it. I hate doing standing shoulder presses, so of course I kept doing things that same way. Hoping I would work my way through it,..:nono: I had a bad episode with it one day. REALLY Painful!!, and decided to try and avoid the angle. That was several months ago, and it's still healing,...:bang: Now I have to do either seated Smith shoulder presses, which are limiting, standing shoulder presses, which I don't really care for, or seated DB presses, which I like, but will sometimes cause the problem to occur. Had I taken better care earlier, it may not have gotten to this point.

Try to protect yourself. "An ounce of prevention":gl:

>>>--->

8. Webby

Webby Well-Known Member

I damaged my left shoulder about a year ago. I would have horrid popping and clicking. In my case it was tendinitis related. I had to stop upper body workouts for almost 5 months :cry: After about 3 months of resting it and it not getting better and decided to be more pro-active and started to do something about it. I tried all the usual RC exercises which helped mildly things but i saw no real improvement and was in in a fair degree of pain still, I then found this article http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=6997&page=1&pp=25 i did these broomstick exercises relgiously everyday (50 reps). The improvement I got was dramatic. Within a month of doing them I was back into upper body workouts and all has been great ever since. I still do this exercise 4 times a week but only for 20 reps. If I don't do them as a warmup before lifting, the next day my shoulder hurts, but if i make sure I do them everything is fine.

Try it out and see if it helps, it worked wonders for me!!

It would suggest seeing a physio first though :tu: