1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PMS

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by mastover, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

A very important study from several days ago suggests that post menopausal women (ladies no longer having menstrual cycles) who take statin drugs have a 48% chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Forty eight percent! Didn't matter what statin drug nor the dose taken.
    Statin drugs are a class of cholesterol lowering medications and include crestor, lipitor, zocor, etc.

2. modmaven

modmaven Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this news which bolsters my instincts to avoid drugs whenever possible. Whenever I go to the doc the nurse asks what medication I'm on. I list my multivitamins and they say, "that's all?" It must be really rare for anyone over 50 to be drug free. Crazy.

3. Zilla

Zilla Well-Known Member

I don't take any of those, but my mother does. She has a sticky heart valve and when she does the prescribed diet, she loses too much weight. She's tiny to begin with so when she loses weight, it's almost scary sometimes. This is not to say that her diet is filled with crap, she just needs more calories than the prescribed diet consists of.

Anyway, what is in these drugs that can cause Type 2 diabetes?

4. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

It's still under investigation, but this may delve deeper into the problem:

http://www.spacedoc.com/statins_diabetes

5. buffedstuff

buffedstuff Active Member

Powerful warning thanks for bringing it to the forum.