1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

please help with wife program

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by jmike, Jul 4, 2011.

1. jmike

jmike Active Member

she is doing very well sticking to the diet

she hasn't been working out since this monday -- been a rough week for her --- but she has kept up with the cardio

her co-workers have said it looks like she lost weight - but she says her clothes still fit the same

:-)

i wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me help her

2. jmike

jmike Active Member

we have her diet dialed in - now working on the motivation to maintain an exercise program

her jeans that were really tight on her are now comfortable - even with a little slack.

making a rough guess (because i haven't seen before and after pictures and because she doesn't have a scale) i would say she has lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks.

now i am trying to motivate her on the exercise portion -- not cardio

i have suggested that if she is losing 2.5 pounds a week without the exercise - when she starts up her exercise program again she should add in a late night snack or meal replacement shake.

my thoughts on this is that it should help her maintain the 2.5 pounds a week and not shoot up to 4 pounds a week. trying to keep her weight loss steady and not extreme.

also trying to help her make this a lifestyle change instead of a "diet"

3. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

2.5 a week is a tad out of the ordinary for women. Don't be disappointed or tempted to tweak things too quickly if she settles down towards a lower loss per week. 1-2 would be more "normal."

4. jmike

jmike Active Member

we aren't going to tweak her diet until she starts doing the kettle bells again

and even then we are only going to add 200-300 calories in the evening as an additional meal

when i started researching and putting everything together for her - i was shooting for 1.5 pounds per week.

either i have guessed at her weight wrong - or she is guessing at her calories wrong.

5. jmike

jmike Active Member

i calculated her weight wrong -- she weighs more than i thought

i can visually see a difference -- but she thinks she has been gaining weight

to me it looks like she lost ten pounds - to her - she thinks she has gained 10 pounds

her BMR should be at 2750

#25 jmike, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  6. BJ

BJ Active Member

Let me offer just a bit of perspective for you having gone through all of this. I see a lot of posts about you asking for what to tell your wife to do. I have been where you are at... telling her what to do isn't going to work for you long term. What you need to do is be the example. Make the change yourself and she will come along eventually. One of the main reasons I started my transformations was because I wanted Michelle to do it. She was very opposed to it in the beginning as I made major lifestyle changes. Once she saw I was committed and getting results, she started making the changes necessary.

Let your wife go at her own speed. Set some common goals and reward yourselves for hitting them.

7. jmike

jmike Active Member

i have been doing it and i have been showing her the results --- but i am in Afghanistan so she doesn't see the work firsthand or the results firsthand

i am not "telling her" to do it --- she asked for my help so i am helping her

8. BJ

BJ Active Member

Gotcha! Encourage her to get on here... the community will take great care of her. Have her PM my wife PDCA if she needs encouragement. Show her Michelle's TSM... http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=51145

Are you in the military?

9. jmike

jmike Active Member

i have told her about the site and have linked my journal for her -- but she hasn't signed up yet

that would be nice if she had someone to talk to about it --

i am ex-military turned contractor --- i came over here to get my family out of debt and to set us on the right path --- it is hard for both of us -- but i think something like this will help us stay involved in each other's lives in a positive way

10. jmike

jmike Active Member

that is amazing - i bet you are so proud

i sent the link to my wife and told it is a must read

a lot of what your wife is saying is a lot like what my wife says

she starting weights are almost identical

11. BJ

BJ Active Member

Thank you for serving! I appreciate the sacrifice you have made.

I am very proud of Michelle. The only way you will be able to keep your wife motivated is to help her to be the one driving the process instead of you driving it for her.

Best of luck!

12. jmike

jmike Active Member

she is leaning on me to fill the "personal trainer" role

i am trying to fill it in a way that will encourage and support her

she said i was asking for too much all at once

so i am asking her to add things in on a weekly basis

stage 1 is her diet -- she has already done that - and she tells me what she eats - i count the calories and add it to her journal. she is doing very well with that. i am counting this stage as "complete" -- as in she has successfully integrated it into her daily routine

stage 2 starts on Monday - her fish oil and multi-vitamin will arrive. so she will need to consume more water to keep her kidney's functioning properly. i have asked her to try to drink a gallon of water a day -- one 16 oz bottle every other hour.

she is worried about drinking too much water and is scared of "water poisoning". but i found some research saying that the kidney's can process .9 liters every hour safely --- comes out to about about 3 gallons a day. i hope this will encourage her to stay hydrated so her body can flush out wastes.

--------------------

i think stage 3 would be to add in cardio.

I am not sure if i should have her do 5-10 minutes every morning to jump start her metabolism --- or if i should just have her do the 45 minutes on Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday (days that will end up not being weight training) ..... or both?

suggestions are appreciated

-------------------------------------

i want to thank everyone who is helping with this. you guys are helping me in a very positive way to stay involved in my wife's life while i am away. this means a lot to me.

13. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

It can't hurt to start each morning with some cardio, but it may become daunting to do it every day. For people starting out, rest days where there is no exercise are valuable. I would say if she is weight training and wants to add in some activity, do 30-45 minutes of structured cardio 3 times per week. I prefer to do my cardio immediately following lifting, except on leg day.

How disciplined is she? Would she have any problem doing AM cardio?

14. jmike

jmike Active Member

she has a hard time getting out of bed -- to get up and get going is not her thing

the morning cardio thing wouldn't really be cardio so much as a leisurely walk for 5-10 minutes