1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Please help me

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Nick Purcell, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Nick Purcell

Nick Purcell New Member

Hi everyone,

So I posted this question on bodybuilders.com and got called a pansy so I'm hoping the community here are all a little more helpful.

So, after a lifetime of being fat I've decided to do something about it.

I've read a lot and understand the basic idea of fat loss. Importantly (and this is what offended people on the other site) I also just don't like going to the gym and decided after years of yoyo gym enthusiasm to be realistic andtry a new approach to losing this fat.

I bought treadmill and treadmill desk and now walk most of my working week.

Since Jan I have been walking off approx 800-1500 calories a day. I've been eating 1500-1600 cals. Macro has been protein 45, carb 30, fat 25 roughly. TDEE is something like 2800.

The walking got easy so I increased incline and then when that got easy I increased weight via a backpack.

Now here's the problem.

It's been three weeks and my weight loss (previously 1 kg week avg) has stopped. I've increased bag weight but now I'm just exhausted and irritable and staying exactly the same weight. I thought maybe I was increasing muscle and decreasing fat but fancy weigh scales say exactly same results week after week.

I can't increase weight in pack any more and I'm getting demotivated which is the last thing I want.

Please help! What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

2. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Variety, they say, is the spice of life -- as well as the key to weight loss (possibly).

Personally, I've found that mixing things up from an exercise standpoint keeps me motivated and helps avoid plateaus. I understand your aversion to the gym, but there are a lot of body-weight movements that could be done at home to raise the heart rate and even build a little muscle. For example, one favorite of mine is to do 15 air squats (just a squat with no barbell, in case that's not obvious), push-ups, and sit-ups, then 14 of each, 13, etc. down to 1, for time. Do it again the following week and try to improve on your time while maintaining solid form (i.e. don't cheat yourself on the movements). No gym or equipment necessary. Unless you're already pretty fit, you'll be pretty wiped afterward.

Now, obviously, one doesn't HAVE to mix things up to lose weight -- obviously, walking daily is a great thing -- so another possibility in your case is that you're not eating ENOUGH. Others have far more experience with these details, but if you're burning on average 1000 calories a day but only consuming 1600, your body may have hit a point where it's concerned with starvation and is retaining whatever it can in order to "survive." You may try upping your calories for a couple of weeks to see what that does.

As I mentioned, there are many folks in here who are far more knowledgeable -- hopefully, one of them will chime in.

Good luck!

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hi Nick, welcome aboard!

First of all, you are not a pansy. Pansies don't have the guts to accept that things need to change, and then put themselves out there and ask for help publicly. You're already way past all of that. Bodybuilding.com is a very tough crowd. I'm glad you were strong enough to not give up after a few discouraging comments.

Haters are a dime a dozen. Any anonymous coward can sit behind a keyboard and be insulting to a stranger. It's cheap. It's pathetic. It says way more about the person being hateful than it does you. Ignore those people--maybe even feel sorry for them--but don't ever let them get to you.

Going to the gym can be very difficult, especially if you're not happy with how you look. That was a big part of the reason I did all of my training at home when I decided that enough was enough. I understand how you feel.

Fat loss stalls suck. We've all been there (personally speaking I just broke out of one after 2 looooong weeks), so know that.

After three weeks, though, I think something needs to change.

The guys at bb.com were not wrong about weight training, their delivery was, perhaps, just not that great. Resistance training is pretty important when it comes to fat loss. @volleyball had some great advice along those lines--and you won't have to set foot into a gym.

You didn't mention your current weight or body fat percentage, just that you were "fat". Generally speaking for someone "fat", your calories seem low to me. It could be, as @volleyball said, that you're not eating enough.

Are you tracking your food intake anywhere? If not, I suggest you start. Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com is a good place to do that, and it's free. I'd like to take a look at what you're eating, and when.

Also, I suggest you start a journal here. Our community supports hard work and consistency, and it sounds like you've got that in spades.Fat loss can be really difficult and frustrating, and so it helps to have people who have been there/done that around you when the going gets tough.

On a personal note, I think you're an amazing photographer. Yeah, I looked--I like good photography. :) Take that passion and energy, and continue to apply it to your transformation and you will succeed.

You say you've been fat all your life. Maybe, but that's about to change.

4. Nick Purcell

Nick Purcell New Member

Volleyball thank you, appreciate you replying. I've understood the idea of not entering starvation mode and so I thought 1600 cal GROSS was enough to prevent that but maybe you're right, if I'm exercising my net cal intake down to 600 that's what my body is looking at. This is one area I don't really comprehend yet. I'll do as you say though and throw some variety in to see if I can kickstart things again. Thanks again

5. Nick Purcell

Nick Purcell New Member

John...wow, wasn't expecting you to reply, thanks, you're a huge inspiration particularly the fact that you were also in your 30s when you decided to change things. Thanks also for feedback on my photography! :)

I'm not in the slightest bit put off by the bb.com guys - I just want knowledge! So to answer your queries, yes I've been using myfitness pal (as much as possible) here: March1722's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com
    My current weight is 84kg (185llbs) and my BMI is 27 - feels like almost all of it is stored around my waist. When I started in Jan my weight was 90kg (198lbs) and BMI was closer to 30. So I'm happy about that small change! Just want to keep it going.

Should I eat more? Which feels counter-intuitive but I understand the logic.

I'll look at the journals you mention. Thanks again, and congrats to you on such a radical change in your physical life. Definitely inspiring.

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Awesome attitude!

Excellent, thanks for posting that link. I looked at a few days of your meals. I think, overall, your food choices are pretty solid. Not perfect, but what is? Your daily caloric range seems to swing around a pretty fair amount, although I based that statement on a very small sample size. I'd try to even things out a bit, aiming for around 10x your body weight in pounds. Anything you can do to increase the number of whole, unprocessed food choices will also help.

No surprise there, and there's nothing you can do about that. Most men tend store fat in the abdominal area first, and it's the last to go when losing. That's determined by genetics. Like most dudes, I'm the same way.

You're doing great. Don't be discouraged by this stall. Stalls are normal. Frustrating, but normal.

Work on evening out your calories and increasing your whole food choices. Also, try to introduce some strength training to your fat loss program. Losing muscle is a sure-fire way to lower your metabolism, and you don't want that.

Thanks, Nick. I look forward to witnessing your continued success! :)

7. Nick Purcell

Nick Purcell New Member

Thanks John, I've taken your advice and seen a drop of 0.6kg this week which is encouraging. Thanks again

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Very nice! Keep it up! :tucool:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I'm late to the party, but wanted to say, "Welcome". You've already gotten some very good advice from VB and John and I can't add much, but will definitely second that counter intuitive as it may be you need to be eating more, especially given your activity level and that some sort of resistance training will help you reach your goals faster than an approach that excludes it.

As you've already witnessed, progress is not linear, but as long as the game plan is sound progress will be made. Sometimes (often?) not as fast as we would like, but during times of the dreaded stall take solace in knowing that you're making good decisions and the results will come.

Lastly, John mentioned seeing your photography. I'd like to take a look also, but can't find a link. TIA.

10. Nick Purcell

Nick Purcell New Member

Thanks John and Seltzer

Seltzer - I'll message you (I'm assuming I can do that) as I don't want to seem like I'm advertising here! :)