1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Please analyze my cutting routine

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by The1andonly, Mar 30, 2010.

1. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

I havent attempted to cut for at least a year now as I been doing a very slow but successful bulk. I am planning on ramping up the cardio and was wondering what do you guys think of this routine:

Day 1: P90X Back and Biceps (morning) Afternoon (HITT Cardio)
    Day 2: Abs and Chest (weight based)
    Day 3: Legs (squats, harmstrings, calves, etc) (morning) (afternoon) (HITT Cardio)
    day 4: Abs and Back (weight based)
    day 5: P90X Chest shoulder triceps (morning) Afternoon (HITT Cardio)
    Day 6: Slow burn cardio (40 minutes)
    Day 7: P90X abs. (20 minutes)

Because my abs are pretty much the weakest part of my body (at least visually) I want to incorporate them as much possible to my workout. I have done mostly weights throughout the last year and I have gotten some nice gains in terms of muscle but is now time to cut the fat....Do you guys think this work out is appropiate? is it too much?

(The guy in the avatar is me a year ago before I started bulking, I am now 20 pounds heavier, a whole lot more muscle with some fat)

#1 The1andonly, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

My opinion is that whenever you start out on a cutting plan, allow the diet to be the fat loss catalyst and start out with the least amount of cardio possible, which would be zero. I would also train with the intention of building muscle on a cut. Just like in a bulk phase. Keep those type II fibers nice and stimulated. Heavy and heavier.

Good luck. :)

3. Barber

Barber Well-Known Member

Maybe you have some massive amount of endurance, but...for me at least....
    with a restricted calorie "cutting" diet, it's hard to do the amount of volume you listed above for a prolonged period of time. Plus, doing HIIT after a leg workout on the same day may mean you need a more intense leg workout or your HIIT sessions aren't really HIIT sessions. I find it hard to even do a LISS-type treadmill/outside jog after a leg workout the following day, let alone the same day.

If you follow a very moderately restricted cutting plan (almost maintenance or just below), then the high volume/high intensity workout plan may work.

Just my 2 cents.

4. 3x_umar

3x_umar Active Member

Zero cardio,, really???
    when john stone started cutting he was doing 4 days cardio with 3 days weight training and zero rest days.

5. needachange

needachange Active Member

Yeah and John has also said that he made a lot of mistakes in the begining and if he could do it over he would have gone a different route ;)

6. The1andonly

The1andonly Active Member

Mastover:

I see your point...I am going to take a special look at my diet and make it the central focus of my cut

Also I see Barber's point in regards to running the same day of doing legs. I will take out that cardio that day altogether.

Initially I will start running lots while I gradually fix my diet. I understand Aram's concern as a hard-gainer I really dont want to loose the bit of muscle that i've gained.