1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Planning for winter...

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by abuseguy, Nov 12, 2014.

1. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

Howdy,

-----John, maybe the wrong forum. Move me if needed----

I'm in the process of putting together a winter program that will allow me to ramp down from well over 10K calories burned per week of cycling to (probably) under 5K -- give or take depending on the weather.

This has already been a great year for me -- 40 lbs lost, many thousands of miles in the saddle, etc -- and it's only going to get way better. My main goal over the winter is not to lose (much) fitness, to gain some upper body muscle back, and not to gain scale weight. (I'm at ~165 right now; in January I was a 208+ pound apathetic fat bastard who drank himself stupid every damn day.)

My calories burned will fluctuate because I can't plan for the weather, but I need to deal with that separately. For example, if it warms up above 20 or 30 degrees F with no snow in the forecast, I might have three hours of hard riding in the saddle -- well over 2500 cal. burned. On most days it will be the erg or on the rollers for HIIT (Boo!) plus weights on other days.

Two questions for those with more experience than me:

1. There appears to be a difference of opinion when mapping our protein per pound. Do you calculate this based on lean muscle or overall weight? Do you use the 1-gram per pound figure or the .85 grams per pound multiplier. Thoughts? Edit: Found this great article after posting. Answered several of my questions, but I will still welcome opinions. http://examine.com/faq/how-much-protein-do-i-need-every-day.html

2. As mentioned, I have already found that I can't plan for days when I need to capitalize on unexpected good weather. For example, on a planned cardio day off, I might instead burn through a ton of calories if the weather changes, leaving me in a 2K deficit for the day. I have been compensating for this by looking at a "day" as one with my main calorie workout in the middle, and consuming to compensate after the ride -- even the next day when my ride at night. Do you think this makes sense? I gotta get the calories back into me somehow!

3. Bonus question: Do you think it will be feasible for me to gain muscle mass over the winter but not scale weight? I would therefore be losing fat while I gain muscle -- the Holy Grail, which many view as BS.

Thanks for any insight!

#1 abuseguy, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. losh96

losh96 Well-Known Member

any updates?

Hello,

I am in the same boat you were a year ago and trying to figure a winter training plan to keep the weight creep at a minimum and keep the cycling fitness i built this year.

Could you share any information what you tried over the winter and what worked or did not work for you?

Thank you!

3. abuseguy

abuseguy Active Member

I also sent this via PM:

I grade myself a B+ for last winter. I split my time between rowing (I have a Concept2 Model C) and riding rollers, often HIIT. I added weights back in later in the winter.

My mistakes: I overestimated my calories and didn't adjust accordingly. Even though HIIT kicks my butt and is great for HR, it's still a much smaller window of cardio than what I'm used to over spring/summer/fall. I gradually put on about ten pounds, which was also partly due to jumping on the weights. (Creatine helped recovery but also boosted the weight gain.)

But a calorie is a calorie. If I had maintained the protein and reduced fats / carbs, I would have been stronger but not heavier. That's this year's goal.

I should add: I also ride outside in the winter, but only when conditions are right. I'm not a guy who will be pounding away in the middle of an ice storm, so the caloric burn isn't a constant the way it is when the weather is better.

My Fitness Pal is a great resource if you're not on it already. There are others, by MFP is pretty good. Their food database is very thorough.

Good luck!