1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Plan for huge weight loss

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by SGL, Apr 30, 2007.

1. SGL

SGL Active Member

Hi,

I'm currently 6'1" (1.85 cm) and at 352 lbs (160 kg).
    I want to lose some fat (well, let's say a WHOLE LOT of fat) and just get in shape. This forum has already been a huge motivation and useful source of information to get started. A great community!

I have made a diet based on 3100 calories (50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat), to lose around 3 lbs per week.
    Here is my diet. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

DIET

Breakfast @ 0730
    Milk
    Wholeweat bread (2 slices)
    Roasted chicken
    Carrots
    Total: 427 calories - 55 gr carbs - 10 gr fat - 33 gr protein

Snack 1 @ 1030
    Apple
    Orange
    Carrots
    Wholeweat bread (1 slice)
    Peanut butter 1 tbsp
    Total: 406 calories - 72 gr carbs - 12 gr fat - 10 gr protein

Lunch @ 1330
    Roasted chicken
    Walnuts
    Total: 448 calories - 39 gr carbs - 23 gr fat - 27 gr protein

Snack 2 @ 1630
    Banana
    Tangerines
    Tuna
    Total: 440 calories - 66 gr carbs - 3 gr fat - 46 gr protein

PWO @ 1930
    Protein shake
    2 bananas
    Total: 578 calories -90 gr carbs - 5 gr fat - 52 gr protein

Dinner @ 2030
    Wild rice
    Chicken breast
    Olive oil 1 tbsp
    Mixed veggies
    Total: 535 calories - 44 gr carbs - 11 gr fat - 61.5 gr protein

Snack 3 @ 2230
    Cottage cheese
    Apple
    Total: 179 calories - 24 gr carbs - 4 gr fat - 12 gr protein

TOTAL: 3031 CALORIES - 390 GR CARBS - 68 GR FAT - 241,5 GR PROTEIN
    I was aiming at: 3100 calories - 387,5 gr carbs - 68,8 gr fat - 232,5 gr protein

Like I said, any feedback/adjustments are welcome to optimize this diet.

----
    I'm also planning to start weightlifting (using dumbbells)and cardio training.

I will be lifting weights 4 times a week and doing cardio training 3 times a week.

Monday: delts + triceps
    Tuesday: back + traps
    Wednesday: fasted cardio 30 mins
    Thursday: legs + forearms
    Friday: chest + biceps
    Saturday: fasted cardio 30 mins
    Sunday: fasted cardio 30 mins

Any help/suggestions are welcome!

I'm going for it! :bb:

2. dluc

dluc Active Member

Hi SGL:) I'm glad you've decided to make a chage in your life:nod:

I just have some general comments about your diet. Though it's full of fruits, I'd like to see some more veggies in there. Whole wheat bread is fine, but it seems to be your main carb source. How about oatmeal or sweet potatoes here and there instead of all that bread? Also, I'd beef up that last meal with some healthy fats. Try getting some omega-3's into your diet (fish, fish oil, flax oil, flax seeds...).

I hope that helps!:gl:

3. SGL

SGL Active Member

Hi dluc,

I'm not big veggie fan, that's why I stayed away from it a bit, but I'll try to throw more in.
    I should be able to replace the bread with oatmeal.
    I'll see how I can get some omega-3's in!

Thanks! Great advice.

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

Review your diet, thinking about that this isn't for one day but every day for months. Start working now on what you will work into the mix. Fruits have a lot of good qualities but they still boil down to simple carbs for the best part. Find veggies and grains that you can fit into the mix. Obtain variations in diet.

While you plan on weights, you limit yourself by choosing dumbbells only. Review the options that would provide you an effective weight program. What are the exercises you will use? Will you have sufficient weights to tax your muscles? Now is the time to plan for the future.

5. jonpaul

jonpaul Active Member

It looks like a great start - just do not overwhelm yourself. The key to success is remembering that this is not only a long term goal, it is a new lifestyle all together. Stick with it, and no matter how hard it seems at times, you will attain your goals eventually.

Remember to constantly review the whole plan though, after a couple of weeks you may decide to lift fewer days, but more intensively for example, or alter the diet a bit. The key is to just keep going!

6. Captain Joe

Captain Joe Active Member

Have you considered swimming as an alternative cardio exercise?

7. Determined

Determined Active Member

You're definitely on the right track - just try and provide yourself some variety or else once the honeymoon phase is over you may run into trouble. Couple of quick suggestions - almonds are an easy snack, around 170 cals for a quarter cup. If you are having trouble with vegetables, you can try using hummus as a dip. Depending on how it's made it'll run you around 120 cals for a quarter cup. Could help you choke down some raw cuts of broccoli for example. Another trick that worked for me was replacing mashed potatos with blended cauliflower. With a little seasoning it's not too bad.

Just try to mix and match the foods you know are good. It's clear you've done some research. Stay away from too many liquid calories, for your purposes it's far better to actually eat an apple than eat applesauce for example. That way you get the fibre in the fruit. Fibre and protein are your friends, they'll keep you full longer and curb cravings.

The last thing I'll say, even if you are not hungry, when it's time for a scheduled snack you must eat it!! If you do not, cravings could come back to haunt you at the end of the day.

8. SGL

SGL Active Member

Thanks for all the replies!
    I went and altered my diet, trying to add more vegetables and some omega-3's.

Altered version;

Breakfast @ 0730
    Carrots 100 gr
    Quaker instant oatmeal
    Milk
    Apple
    Crab
    Flax oil
    Total: 436 calories - 64 gr carbs - 9 gr fat - 28 gr protein

Snack 1 @ 1030
    Orange
    Carrots
    Wholeweat bread (1 slice)
    Peanut butter 1 tbsp
    Total: 325 calories - 51 gr carbs - 12 gr fat - 10 gr protein

Lunch @ 1330
    Roasted chicken
    Broccoli
    Potatoes (100 gr)
    Total: 458 calories - 70 gr carbs - 10 gr fat - 31 gr protein

Snack 2 @ 1630
    Banana
    Tuna
    Onion
    Almonds
    Total: 375 calories - 33 gr carbs - 8 gr fat - 48 gr protein

PWO @ 1930
    Protein shake
    2 bananas
    Total: 498 calories -79 gr carbs - 5 gr fat - 44 gr protein

Dinner @ 2030
    Wild rice
    Chicken breast
    Olive oil 1 tbsp
    Mixed veggies
    Green beans
    Total: 583 calories - 51 gr carbs - 12 gr fat - 64.5 gr protein

Snack 3 @ 2230
    Cottage cheese
    Apple
    Flaxoil
    Total: 224 calories - 24 gr carbs - 9 gr fat - 12 gr protein

TOTAL: 2899 CALORIES - 372 GR CARBS - 65 GR FAT - 237,5 GR PROTEIN
    I was aiming at: 3100 calories - 387,5 gr carbs - 68,8 gr fat - 232,5 gr protein

If there are things I should change, please let me know!!!

As for working out, I'm planning on working out with the dumbbells @ home for around 2-3 months. Then I'll hit the gym... but this might even be sooner.

9. Terps01fan2006

Terps01fan2006 Active Member

SGL, good for you that you plan to change!! I used to be just liek you regardign the veggies, I would seel Cauliflower, Brocoli, Asparagus and cringe at them, the reason was that I never gave them a chance. I never really sat down at ate those veggies(along with other types), thus I assumed because of their look that they must taste bad.

Since I started eating those veggies I grew to really enjoy them and looking back I don't know how I used to think they were not tasteful. All Im saying is to give veggies a try, if you dont like them than so be it, but dont do what I used to do by saying I don't like them because I really never gave them a chance.

Good luck!!

10. Determined

Determined Active Member

Hey SGL,

One suggestion I would make is to replace the instant oatmeal with at least One Minute Oats. Instant oatmeal is too processed and depending on the variety usually jam packed with sugars. It's not going to help you.

One minute oats are just that quick in the microwave and you can throw in your own fruit, spices or whatever. Use a little splenda. I mix mine in with yogurt but it's an acquired taste.

My understanding is that the quicker the oats, the more fibre has been removed from the product. So if you want the best quality fibre and carbs, choose the 20 minutes oats, lol. Something like the steel cut variety.

Oh, one more thing. If you're pre-cooking big batches of oats to plan out your week, measure the portions AFTER you've cooked em. They swell up big time so 1 cup of oats before does not equal 1 cup of oats afterwards.

Other than that, you look like a man with a plan.