1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Plan Evaluation?

Discussion in 'Fat Loss/Cutting' started by cz3ch, Jun 7, 2004.

1. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

Greetings,

I, like John Stone am a network admin. I sat on my kiester most of the time, but recently joined 24hr fitness and have been doing workouts for about 3 weeks. So far I've lost about 8-10lbs and lost a couple of inches on my waist. Below is my workout program + eating habits, can someone please give me some tips/advice for maximum fatloss/muscle gain.

Body: 5'10.5 215lbs (down from 224) 38" waist (down from 42") BF%25

Workout:
    M:Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    T: Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    W Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    T Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    F Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    S Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    S Off/Rest/SLEEP! :)

Eating:
    Breakfast: 9am EAS Protein/Carb shakes
    Mid Morning: 1030am Eas Protein Bars/Labrada
    Lunch: 12pm Chicken + Salad
    Mid afternoon: 2:30pm String Cheese or Protein Bar
    Preworkout: 5:30 pm EAS Protein/Carb shakes
    Postworkout: 6:30pm Protein Shake or Protein Bar
    Dinner 7pm Chicken or Beef + Salad
    Hydration: Superhydration 1-1.5 Gal Ice Cold water/Day 32oz serving x 4/5

I'm being told I should drop the weights totally and stick with the cardio to rip away the fat. My goal is to be cut/ripped and have tons of muscle... I'm just wondering if I'm going about it wrong by doing weights..

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    James

2. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

Workout:
    M:Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    T: Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    W Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    T Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    F Chest, Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, Abs (40 min) Cardio (20 min)
    S Legs, Back, Abs (40 Min) Cardio (20min)
    S Off/Rest/SLEEP! :)

Wow, I'm not a professional, but IMO, that routine is pretty bad. There is no way you can effectively work 4 muscle groups in 40 mins. I would do something like this:

Sun: Cardio
    M: Chest/Tris
    T: Upper Legs/Calves
    W: Cardio
    Th: Back/Bis
    F: Shoulders/Traps/Abs
    S: Cardio or Off

Eating:
    Breakfast: 9am EAS Protein/Carb shakes
    Mid Morning: 1030am Eas Protein Bars/Labrada
    Lunch: 12pm Chicken + Salad
    Mid afternoon: 2:30pm String Cheese or Protein Bar
    Preworkout: 5:30 pm EAS Protein/Carb shakes
    Postworkout: 6:30pm Protein Shake or Protein Bar
    Dinner 7pm Chicken or Beef + Salad
    Hydration: Superhydration 1-1.5 Gal Ice Cold water/Day 32oz serving x 4/5

Too much processed food. Breakfast should be something like oatmeal and egg whites. Lose the string cheese and you must eat more real food. Get some sweet potatoes, tuna fish, salmon, shrimp, turkey, brown rice, etc in there.

I'm being told I should drop the weights totally and stick with the cardio to rip away the fat. My goal is to be cut/ripped and have tons of muscle... I'm just wondering if I'm going about it wrong by doing weights..

You're being told terribly wrong. Stay with the weights.

3. taffer

taffer Well-Known Member

good advise from karatetricker there!
    i think there are a few other "help me" threads on this page, check them out, im tired of typing out the same stuff over and over :)

4. RTE

RTE Well-Known Member

You have lose about 3 lbs a week and taken 4 inches off waist. You should give us suggestions. Don't drop Weights! I wouldn't change a thing until you aren't getting results or something is wrong. It doesn't sound like you have a problem.

5. rfrias

rfrias Well-Known Member

Great advice already given, but I have to wonder about a couple of things. How can you possibly work out the same body part 3 times a week effectively, especially legs. I don't know about you, but when I blast my legs, it takes me a full week to recover before I can do them again. Another think I notice is that you work your biceps on the days immediately before and after you work your back. Since working the back involves your biceps, you might want to work them on the same day or at least take a day off between your back and biceps.

Where's the real food? :confused: Cottage cheese, tuna, oatmeal... all staples for your diet. Do some surfing on this site and you'll find a ton of ideas for healthy menus.

If you've been disciplined in following your current routine, I have to commend you, it doesn't sound easy. :tu: But you'll be happy once you fine tune it. It will be much more manageable, and more effective.

Good luck ;)

6. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

7. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

I think I just need to fine tune the workout schedule and make sure i'm giving my body enough time for healing.... also yes, some whole foods would be good, but being a 12hr/day fulltime admin + a husband keeps me from being able to cook too much :(

8. cz3ch

cz3ch Well-Known Member

(edit)

I'm pretty disciplined on this routine yes. I noticed that recently I began eating right before workouts and I can just sail through them, if I dont.. i feel sick/dizzy/etc...

Also, I honestly dislike food. Synthetics are more appealing to me in general. If I put high quality MRP shakes/etc into my body, is this bad? Also, working 12hrs/day prevents me from being able to cook.

-cz-