1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer & Other Brand Supplements --What do you take?

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Supplements' started by Justitia, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

I decided to stick to the brand I know: Pioneer Supplements, though I had to go to 3 different sites to get the cheapest prices for 3 different Pioneer products :lol: (two were with free shipping.) ;) I never used to shop on the internet before :o Prices are so much cheaper, even for brand names. I even buy my shampoo there now. (Paul Brown--great stuff --makes your hair shiny!!)

Jeremy Likness has mentioned companies he is associated with. I am sure they are really excellent. But right now I want to go with what I know. I will probably make adjustments later.

I was wondering what people thought of Pioneer and perhaps what they thought of the other products I am taking.

I take Pioneer's 1+Vitamin/Mineral with Iron, their Cal/Mag, their Co Q 10 with grapeseed extract and their Glucosamine Chondroitin. (each year as I get older--another year, another pill--that last one, which I can't even pronounce, was just added because I have a wearing away of cartilage under my knee-cap, which is the cause of my knee problem). I also take their Vitamin C complex.

I take Country Life's E + Selenium because it is the only one I know of in which the Selenium is grown in yeast. Though normally people try to stay away from yeast, there was a study several years ago that showed Selenium's anti-cancer properties are effective only if the Selenium is yeast based. I believe I read this before I started traveling the Internet-which is about 7 years ago. So it is an old study but I have not read anything that contradicts it, though it would have to be a news grabbing story to catch my eye. But I would be happy to hear other people's thoughts.

I take Country Life's Iron Aid as I have been borderline anemic all my life.

I take a product called Neurozyme (New Chapter) (see here) which I was introduced to by the nutritionist at Whole Foods. I used to take Ginko, which I was pretty impressed how effective it was, particularly when I was perimenopausel and I had to wait 3 months before I could get in to see a doctor for HRT (for you guys that don't know (and perhaps younger gals)--perimenopause turns a woman's mind to mush. :d_confuse I have no idea if it comes back on its own after menopause is finished because I got on HRT as soon as I could and never went off. My work is very brainy work and I need the utmost mental clarity.) The Neurozyme was amazingly more effective than just Ginko (it has Ginko in it). I now see that New Chapter has another supplement it suggests to take with Neurozyme called Mental Clarity and I think I will try it to see how it works.

I also take Solgar's Zinc Picolinate (22 mgs),

Spectrum's Mercury Free Norwegian Fish Oil,

Ethical Nutrients Bone Builder plus Silica.

I take the above either with my breakfast or lunch meal.

In the AM, along with my prescription medications, I take the Pioneer Calcium/Magnesium and Solgar's L-Glutamine 500 mg, though I am looking into changing the source and quantity of L-Glutamine.

In the PM, with my PM prescription medications, I take the rest of the daily dose of Pioneer Calcium/Magnesium and Acetyl L Carnitine from Kent.

I also take Green Tea Extract from Kent before workouts since Swolecat and others mentioned it. I was afraid of the caffeine in it as I have a problem with caffeine as many women do, in that it can cause fibriotic breast tissue which has a small probability of turning cancerous. I decaffinated myself 20 years ago (only decaf coffee, herbal tea, caffeine-free sugar-free coke, etc.) and my longstanding problems in that area vanished in a few months. But there is obviously caffeine in some other items anyway--like CHOCOLATE!!! which I love. But I seem to have no problem with the Green Tea Extract, I have been using it for a month and if there were a problem it would have shown up by now.

There are other nutritional supplements I am considering based on what I read here. I will probably get them from Kent once I figure out what I want.

Another year, another pill. :rolleyes: I am 56 and I started taking pills (synthoroid) when I was 39. The prescription medications are primarily Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT natural estrogen, Estrace, natural progesterone, Prometrium (not progestin that is synthetic and in most HRT's prescribed today and the one in all the tests that show increased probability of cancer)), Prevacid for acid reflux, generic of Voltarin (anti-inflammatory due to back surgery), Allegra to forestall chronic sinusitus and allergies.

Getting old ain't fun but I am greatful that the problems I develop, as time marches on, can be fixed with pills, diet and exercise (and occasional (medically necessary) surgery or very expensive dental work. :d_smile: )

#1 Justitia, Oct 31, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  2. kentnutrition

kentnutrition Well-Known Member

Thank you very much for your business. Our GT Extract is virtually caffeine free. It contains only 1.7% caffeine. That is one of the good things about using a quality extract rather than brewed tea.

3. BGCATS

BGCATS Well-Known Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I just noticed that you said you were taking Synthroid. I have been taking Synthroid for 2 months and have read from various internet sources that it is not good to drink Green Tea if you have Thyroid issues. Something about the Fluoride in the Green Tea. I don't know about the extract but would be interested in hearing from someone with more "expertise."

4. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Yes, I read about that. See link here

I am not sure about the green tea extract. The articles I read are unclear and do not sound definitive.

Perhaps Kent can talk about the flouride in the extract as they did about the caffeine.