1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pics at 10 weeks out

Discussion in 'Media Threads' started by mastover, Apr 11, 2010.

1. alan aragon

alan aragon Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Aram!

You are truly an inspiration to me. I can't tell you how it made my day knowing you won this. You deserve every bit of credit for the effort, heart, & brains you put into this. I am so stoked for you, my friend.

Your accomplishments make me want to become better at life.

Keep up the great work.

-Alan

2. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

During the initial phases before my prep, I chronicled in my journal that I would be working with a few people to help me prepare for this comeback. Well, the truth is that I did not collaborate with any of them, except for one guy... Alan Aragon. And OH BOY, am I glad I did. :)

I've been in this industry as a competitor, nutritionist, trainer, for over 20 years. I know a thing or two about nutrition and the importance of it. But I am a baby in diapers compared to the knowledge that Alan has. I presented him quite a unique challenge at the onset. Coming back from cancer and a muscle degeneration disease that ate up close to 20 pounds of my muscle. Within 11 weeks, I packed on 16 pounds of mostly muscle with only trace amounts of bodyfat!! And I set numerous PR's with many lifts. All this at the age of 51. When I felt my life slowly evaporating to nothingness. In my 22 years of competing as a bodybuilder, it was the greatest off season nutrition plan I've ever been on.

Thank you, Alan for your very complimentary words. Your sincerity and friendship means the world to me. :tu:

3. T-1 Sella

T-1 Sella Active Member

Aram,

Congrats!!!

4. mastover

5. jbivens

jbivens Active Member

AWESOME!!!!! You are truly an inspiration to us all. Thank you for all that you are doing for me and my wife with your training and nutrition planning, all while preparing for (and winning) a competition.
    You are the man!

I had to go back in and edit this after looking at the pics. HOLY SMOKE IS RIGHT!!!!!! You are ridiculously lean. I can only imagine the look of dejection on the faces of the competition when they saw you next to them on stage. Don't get me wrong, everyone in the comp I am sure worked hard and were in great shape, but nobody was anywhere near as lean as you. You deserved this one, hands down.
    JB

#25 jbivens, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  6. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

I've been mia lately, but i just read this and wanted to add my sincere congratulations. I'm not surprised, as you certainly earned this.

7. MannishBoy

MannishBoy Senior Member

8. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I've seen the pics and all I can say is

UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE

Congratulations Aram

9. kribrg

kribrg Well-Known Member

Well done Mastover!

10. mastover

Thank You! :)

EDIT: I just chronicled my final week's diet in my journal in the Private section for those of you who have access, and might be interested in how to get dialed in and shredded the final week!

#30 mastover, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  11. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Wow...just saw this. You've been through a lot of crap that would kept most of us out of the gym period....and yet you come back to win a bodybuilding show. Congrats man...you deserved it!

12. sevenatenine

sevenatenine Active Member

That's just incredible what happened there, most of your competition looked like the average gym rat in comparison.
    Your condition looks like Frank Zane.... but I'm pretty sure that's when he was like 30, not 50 though lol.

13. mastover

When I train and eat for a show, my mindset is one of totally dominating the competition. Age is just a number. Pain is just a temporary nuisance. Having your hand raised as the last man standing is like walking on the moon. Thanks for the compliment, I truly appreciate it, but getting to Frank's level is strictly a pipe dream for me. One of my idols of the sport. :nod:

I'll post some more specifics in my journal but I have developed a three phase training system, here is the first 3 weeks phase. I'll begin in about a week or so. It is also set up to prioritize lagging body parts like legs, arms, and upper pecs.

MONDAY - Lower Body quad dominant

A. Squat 5 sets 10-8-6-4-20 tempo 3-0-3-0 rest 90 seconds
    B1. Hack sqt 4 sets 8-10 reps no lockout and superset with B2
    B2. Leg press 4 sets 12-15 reps no lockout rest 90 seconds between supersets
    C. Walking lunge 3 sets 8-12 per leg rest is 1 min
    D. Leg ext 3 sets 15-20 reps Vary foot position each set (feet pointed in, out and foreword)
    E. Seated calf raise 3 sets of 8-10 reps Hold stretch and contracted for 5 seconds each

TUESDAY Upper body - horizontal dominant

A. Incline press 4 sets of 8,6,4,10 tempo 3-0-3-0 rest 1 min. between sets
    B. Bent over rows 4 sets of 8, 6,4,10 tempo 3-0-3-0 rest 1 min between sets
    C1. Gironda Dips 4 sets of 8-10 superset with
    C2. Seated rows to lower abdomen 4 sets of 8-10 rest 1 min between supersets
    D1. Decline tri ext 4 sets of 7-9 reps superset with
    D2. BB curls 4 sets of 7-9 reps rest 1 min.
    E. Wide grip upright row (keep elbows high and out) 3 sets of 12-15 reps

WEDNESDAY

Track sprints: warm up and then do 10 sets of 25 yard sprints go from a running start (not a four point stance) rest 1 min between sets.

FRIDAY Lower body hip dominant

A. SLDL 5 sets of 10/8/6/4/10 tempo 3-0-3-0 rest 1 min
    B1. Leg curls 4 sets of 8-10 reps superset with
    B2. Feet high leg press (keep heals only on top of platform) 4 sets of 10-12 reps rest 1 min
    C. High step ups on bench or aerobic platform 3 sets of 8-12 each leg
    D. Seated leg curl (bend upper body foreword) 3 sets of 12-15 reps
    E. Calf press 3 sets of 12-15 reps hold top and bottom 5 seconds each

SATURDAY - Upper body vertical dominant

A. Seated press to front 4 sets of 4-8 reps rest 1 min between sets
    B. Wide grip chins 4 sets of 6-10 reps hold contracted position 3 seconds
    C1. Seated lateral raise 4 sets of 10-12 reps superset with
    C2 Straight arm pull down 4 sets of 10-12 reps
    D1. Close grip bench press 4 sets of 4-8 reps superset
    D2. Hammer D/B curl 4 sets of 4-8 reps

#33 mastover, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  14. mastover

The two gentlemen are Ken Arsenault and Jerry Marsela, promoters of the show and two of the finest people I've met in the bodybuilding industry.

Attached Files:

15. needachange

needachange Active Member

Mastover, in those last pics what is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking?

16. tbuck

tbuck Active Member

Hey brutha'...

Way to go sir. Very impressive accomplishment and much deserved awards for all of your hard work and dedication.

I'm honored to know you.:bow::claplow:

17. mastover

tbuck, thank you, sir. That means a lot coming from you....

needachange, well at that point I was spent completely. Having competed in three classes, and doing the overall comparison at the end with the heavyweight winner for another grueling 25 minutes, I was a depleted and bone dry 145 lbs. at 5'8" (estimating with weight). The following day I took some measurements and my waist was 27", thighs were 22 5/8". and biceps were 16". When I came back to the host hotel after the show, I could not get any muscle contraction. I left it all at the show...

18. Phoenix

Phoenix Active Member

Congratulations that is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. :tucool:

I hope you are writing a book about your life, trials and tribulations as I think it would be one of the greatest reads available on the triumph of the human spirit.
    I would definitely be ordering the platinum edition.

19. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Congratulations again, Aram! I just looked through the pictures and really enjoyed them. My favorite picture is the one you just posted accepting the trophy. That may be my favorite picture of you ever, actually. The look on your face says it all. Incredible job, my friend!

20. george mavridis

george mavridis Active Member

I was thinking the same when I first saw this photo...as I said earlier "savour the victory" :claphigh::claphigh: