1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Philph's "reach 8% body fat" challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by philph, Oct 22, 2007.

1. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

my progress pics.

The first pic is from Mar 07. I was at 205 lbs, BF 25%?.
    The second is from Jan 08. I am now at 184 lbs BF 16.5%.

View attachment 24347

View attachment 24348

I have been stuck at my current weight since NOV 07 since I hurt my shoulder. I have REALLY slacked off in the gym. :mad: My nutrition is still good; but I notice it is alot easier to slack off that also when I can't lift. I think I have only gone to the gym like 8 times in the last 6 weeks. I just cannot motivate myself into the gym for Cardio only. :( I can start lifting again on the 15th as per my doctors orders. I am also starting SwoleCats SGX program as soon as I get the info from Swole. It has been a while since I have been this excited to put that much hard work in. Anyways thats me, no blurry faces, no photo-shop, no excuses (unless you count the shoulder :D ), its just me.

#121 erik.whitman, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  2. erik.whitman

For The First Time....

In 2 months I was FINALLY able to go back and lift. My doctor sadi I could lift again, just to take it easy because of my shoulder and all. Damn, how did those weights get soooo heavy while I was gone? :confused: Any ways it was a good lift. My poudage was much lower than it was 2 months ago; mostly by design (didn't want to try to lift to heavy and re-injure my shoulder) and part of it was because I really got weaker. :( But I know everything will get back on track, with time, discipline, and dedication I will be better than before.

DAMN, WHY DO THEY GOTTA MAKE WEIGHTS SO FRICKEN HEAVY!!!

#122 erik.whitman, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  3. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Hi mate,

I think we are at the same body fat %. I am doing OK now and am not getting the cravings anymore.

My shoulder is a bit sore but I think I need to invest more time in stretching. Let me know how you progress. I am hoping to be 15% in about a week.

4. erik.whitman

Hurting...

So I did legs nigh before last; then I did a 25 min hill climb interval on the eliptical last night. My legs are TOAST today! But in a good & familiar way. :D Call me sadistic by I actually like the way my muscles feel after a period of not working out. To me DOMS feel great. It lets me know that I am working to improve myself, and after all thats what I am trying to do.

5. odin1642

odin1642 Active Member

Going for 8 percent also but must still be a mile away from that just now, must be 15 ish anwyay but must have been 28sih percent plus 4-5 months back.

Lowest have ever been is 11ish and could easily fit into 30 inch waist jeans then. So my first goal is to easily fit into them again and the way they fit the now I'm guessing I'm still 7-8 pounds away from that, I can just do up the top button now but with a major belly overhang.

So my sophisiticated body fat gague consists of a pair of trousers:D.
    To be honest I don't know if there's any reliable means of testing my bodyfat round about here, I don't trust those electronic body fat monitors as they simply seem to generate an answer based on the height, weight, sex and age data you put into them.

6. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone, and welcome to the new participants :)

It sounds like a number of us have had some irksome challenges in the form of injuries, illnesses and life's unpredictable events. I guess what comes to mind has to be that saying about not being killed and being made stronger :) It's cheesey but (probably) true.

Garvic and Erik, you asked about my fat-loss - I have to admit it wasn't a uniform or highly controlled progress, and mostly occurred quite rapidly when I was on a low-carb diet and doing frequent (and relatively high volume) training with no cardio. I was also modestly lean at my starting point so I didn't have a huge amount of work to do anyway. I stopped fairly abruptly because of my work problems, etc, so I really don't know how long my diet and training combination would have continued producing progress had I continued as I was.

The only things I can say for sure is that for me, (most) things work out best when protein is at least 50% of my daily calories, and I use all my available energy on weight training. In between workouts I'm mostly sitting at my computer desk.

In the gym, my program doesn't stay exactly the same for very long, but as an illustration I've recently been doing 10 working sets of 5 reps for each of the first two exercises (usually supersetted), followed by 3 sets of 8 or 10 for the remaining two exercises (also supersetted). The pair of of exercises in each superset usually works opposing muscle groups. For instance, on chest/back day this week I did 10x5 inclined bench press supersetted with close grip supinated pullups, then 3x8 DB press supersetted with 3x8 single arm DB rows. Weights are chosen to approach or reach failure, and only increased when all reps of all sets are completed in good form. On my current program, also there is a variation in reps (so this week I'm doing just 4 reps per set for the "big" exercises) - but later this will change to a higher number of reps but (hopefully!) at the same weights as I started with on the lower reps.

But if I had to name one factor that had the biggest impact, it would be having a fantastic trainer. He gets far more out of me than I could even dream of doing alone. The factors in order of priority (as far as I can tell) are 1) trainer; 2) sleep quality; 3) weight training focus and intensity; 4) choice of weight training program; 5) diet. Things like lack of stress and injuries obviously are crucial too, not least because they affect each of the above factors.

I would also say that (for me) it helps when I mostly avoid cardio, in part because this has a big impact on my training quality. Obviously everyone is different in this regard. Also, by not doing cardio, I have knowingly sacrificed some benefits that I would otherwise have had. My cardiovascular fitness is poorer than it was when I used to run. Everyone has to make their own decision about what results they want from exercise.

7. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I genuinely believe clothes and appearance are our best measure - all the other devices are just there because numbers add a certain kind of reassurance (even though sometimes those numbers are wildly debatable).

8. erik.whitman

So I Did It

I have started SwoleCats SGX protocol. As of today 28 Jan 08 I am moving forward of reaching my goal of single digit BF% by APR 25th. I will post updates of how I am doing, feeling, etc.. Wish me Hard Work!

9. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Good luck Erik!!

I am going OK. I measured myself the other day and I am below 75kg's for the first time in a while and am 14% body fat. By my calcs I only have another 4.5kgs to go so I am really hoping to finish this in Feb.

My plan is to lift heavy 3x per week (full body each time) and try for 5 cardio sessions per week. Obvioudly eating well at about 1,800 kCal.

The waist is getting there. I am really hoping to be sub 30"' at the end of all this....

Let me know how you go with SGX

How is everyone else going?

10. erik.whitman

Update

Well I have been doing the SGX protocol for 11 days now. I would have to say that the protocol is not as difficult as I thought it would be. I attribute that to my level of discipline, and I think finding JSF.com and learning/doing alot here prior to SGX really helped bolster that discipline. So as far as my progress goes, in 11 days I am down 7.5 lbs. I dont think is is glycogen or water weight as I have been consistant in my H2O and carb intake. My midsection (I think) is getting tighter as the days go by. I will post pics here and on Swoles forum in a couple more days. Here is my weight loss chart so far:

View attachment 24790

I started tracking my weight as of 1 Oct 07 @ 200 lbs. I started SGX on 28 Jan 08. My current weight is 178.5 lbs, GOAL: I'll know it when I get there.

I HIGHLY recommend SGX for anyone looking to get ripped!!! Swole is the MAN!

#130 erik.whitman, Feb 8, 2008
  11. erik.whitman

progres pics

1. 1 OCT 07 Found JSF.com
    2. 28 Jan 08 Start SGX
    3. 2 Weeks SGX

#131 erik.whitman, Feb 14, 2008
  12. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Erik,

Looks like you are making great progress. How is it all going??

I am doing OK again. My son was in hospital again for two weeks (OK now) so having been home for a week I am now re-focused and enjoying the energy it gives me. I think I am around 13% now...

13. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Wooo hoo I am now at 12%, just 4% to go.

I am going like crazy for the rest of this month to see if I can lose another kilo or so. That means I will only have around 2.5kg to lose in March. I am getting sick of the diet so I am def looking forward to ending it all

How are you guys going?

14. erik.whitman

4 Weeks on SGX now...

It has been quite effective. I am down a total of 9 pounds. I am not trying to guess my BF% as of now, I just know that I am on the right track.

Week 0
    Week 2
    Week 4

#134 erik.whitman, Feb 26, 2008
  15. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

You are making def progress, well done

I am down another kilo so only 2-3 to go now...