1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Philph's "reach 8% body fat" challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by philph, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Doubleoqueso

Doubleoqueso Active Member

I know you're unhappy about that stubborn mid-section bit we all have, but seriously man ~ You are looking ripped. Way to go!!! :tucool: You are an inspiration!

2. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Thanks for your positive feedback, Gorilla and Double. Self-doubt is the only serious enemy. And support from people who care and understand is an amazing bulwark against self-doubt.

3. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Hey Philip, glad to lend the support! You and I are built pretty similar (although you are in better shape!) so I completely understand how hard it is to get down to those single digits and stay there. We all have alot of faith in you and you have already done an amazing job. :nod:

4. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

Good News / Bad News

The Good News First:

I am closer to my goal of songle digit BF% than I previously thought. I went to the Doctors office recently and while I was there I asked that he do 7 point caliper reading BF% test. The results... 15.2% BF. :D Two points below what I was estimating. I asked how accurate the test is and he assured me very accurate. So I am stoked!!! I have lost alot more BF than I have been estimating, and a bit less lean body mass. My goal is to drop at least another 7%.

Now the BAD News..... :(

My shoulder may be worse off than orriginally thought. The Doctor told me to lay off upper body lifting (orriginally all lifting, but when I pressed for leg and core work he agrreed, but no plyos, no calinthenics, no upper body lifting, no KB's, no nothing it seems like) for at least 6 more weeks. :mad: Man that hurts. I dont know what to do. I cant do any upper body work and two of my favorite/main leg exercises are gone (DL & Back Squat). I am having a hard time keeping a positive outlook. I dont really know what I am going to do for my lift routines for the next 6 weeks. If anyone can help with a GOOD leg routine that can be done 2 - 3 times in a 7 day period I would appreciate the help.

Well whatever... I guess I am going to be doing ALOT of eliptical training.

5. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

i think you need to update your avatar!

6. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Erik, firstly well done on your progress. It's always nice to discover you've done better than you anticipated. That is something to be enjoyed, as the major cause has been your hard work and dedication :tu: Regarding your training, if upper body work is going to be impossible for a while, I would perhaps divide the program into a split of some kind to train quads, hams, gutes, and lower back - not necessarily a day for each of those, but perhaps in pairs or something similar so everything gets hit at a frequency you can best handle.

Well, not a lot of stunning news from me at the moment. My body fat measurement on wednesday was 7.6%, no better than it was a few weeks ago, despite some weight loss. I guess this could be interpreted several ways, some of them capable of supporting continued optimism. The very bottom line is that I'm remaining lean through a time of bad prolonged stress, and (as long as I solve my problems and enable myself to continue training at will) I've set myself an excellent standard to be improved on next time around.

7. ohmahgawd

ohmahgawd Active Member

jo, I'm assuming you're a woman, since you're talking about wanting to fit into a slinky dress and all. :)

My apologies if this has already been said, but do not go any lower than 10% bodyfat if you are, indeed, a woman. Any lower than 10% and you will be cutting into your body's essential fats and this will have negative repercussions in all walks of your life from activities as simple as your natural sleep patterns all the way to your performance in the gym. Again, 10% should be the *absolute minimum* floor for your bodyfat % if you are a woman.

#107 ohmahgawd, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  8. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

I am a woman !!!!
    The dress went down a treat at the christams do and i got a lot of nice comments. The dress was a ladies size 10 (the last dress i brought which is going back 4 maybe 5 years was a size 16/18) so i was well chuffed. Having trouble getting down from my 21.5% things are always good for a while and things get a bit "bitty" and then everything goes out the window. Drives me mad. So at the moment im trying to get back on track (even though its christmas).

Thanx for the advise and i wont go below 10%. But i do aim to reach about 13/15% hopefully this will be achievable once i get organised properly and stick to a plan.

9. ohmahgawd

ohmahgawd Active Member

Consistency is the key. With decent results you will develop an iron willpower that will help you say no to cheats that hamper your progress. The magic combo is a nice lean, balanced diet combined with consistent, well planned weight lifting and consistent cardio.

Best of luck reaching your goals! :) If you can get back on track during the holiday season, just think of how easy the post new year will be!

10. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

I know full well consistency is everything. Training i never have any problem if i could do it seven days a week then i would without flickering an eyelash...
    Just the diet side of things always lets me down, whether its just stuff going on in life. But i am so damn determined that i am gonna do this and make it stick, im not going to give up - NO WAY.
    Thank you for the kind words it means a lot.

11. ohmahgawd

ohmahgawd Active Member

No problem! :)

It took me 5 years of being absolutely disgusted with myself and my eating habbits / lack of exercise before I got angry enough to commit. Each person is different, but we all can find the best balance, I'm sure.

One thing I've found that helps is that when I'm highly stressed and have to sit at a computer (at work, sometimes) I like to snack on something. Before it was chips and whatever other unhealthy stuff that I had. I discovered that my body's cravings are satisfied simply by the action of repetitively putting something in my hand and moving it to my mouth, and repeating over and over. So I snack on a container of grape tomatos or some other healthy stuff instead and it feeds the craving the same way that the junk food did.

Chewing gum also helps a lot of people, but for me, I need the repetitive hand to mouth action. :p

12. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

The funny thing is with work is that i do sit at a computer all day. But first thing monday morning i do my five meals (as i have brekkie at home) and 90% of the time i stick with the healthy choices that i take. Its always the weekend or if i am at home. Just need to find a way of doing what i do all week and incorporating it into the weekend but as yet and for quite a while know i just havent been able to.

13. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hope you all have a great christmas.

14. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Seasons greetings everyone!

Currently I am recovering from 5 days of illness which was triggered last Friday morning when I ate at a restaurant and the cook disregarded my instructions not to use vegetable oil or margarine in my food. I'm always very emphatic and clear (though of course polite as well) when I explain this at restaurants, and to make things simple I usually just tell them that I have a servere "allergy" to vegetable oil (even though I don't know if my response is really an allergic one).

I was very clear on this day as well, but unfortunately within a few minutes of eating I started to have the tell-tale discomfort, and when I asked the waitress to reassure me that they had not used vegetable oil or margarine, she put her hand over her mouth and had a good giggle about the error.

Five days of diarrhoea, hives, runny nose, tiredness, and other inconveniences later, I'm just about fighting fit again, though to my frustration I have lost many hours of work in the process just when I can least afford to do so. And to add insult to injury, my abdomen is an inch and a half bigger than it was a week ago. On the other hand, life is about challenges. I'm below my initial ballpark target of 8% body fat, and even in my current state I'm still receiving favourable comments. And the bottom line is: I'm older, wiser and stronger than I was a year ago :)

15. erik.whitman

Going to Paris

I am going to Paris for New Years. I leave in 3 days. I am so excited. :D I get back in town on the 4th of January. I am going to cheat a little on this challenge; I am signing up for SwoleCats SGX plan. I have been looking at alot of people that have had some tremendous results. I feel like I have hit a bit of plateau as of late and I am going to challenge myself with Swole's program. So Merry Christmas to all and Happy New Years. :tu:

16. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Hi all,

Happy new year to you.

I am sorry to say that I droppped out a while back as my oldest son had to go to hospital. That took all out time as you can imagine so I put the fitness aspirations on the backburner.

Things are getting back to normal now and have been on the wagon again for the last week so I would love to join up again with you guys. I can see you have all made progress and still motivated. my goal is the same but have done som emore research and have changed things up a bit. This is what I am doing now:

a) Calorie target is 1800-1900 per day
    b) Ratio is 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fats. I find that eating any kind of fats make me feel sick so I am minimising having it except in forms such as cooking oil, fish, meat etc
    c) Running each night about 5kms. This just helps me clear my head more than anything
    d) Circuit training of various strength and cardio exercises 4x per week. I figure this will get me limbered up and prepared tp lift some heavier weights in the weeks to come

I am 77.5kg now (groan) and based on prior experience I will hit 8% around 68kg so I have 10kg of lard to shift. My motivation is there and I am enjoying having the energy again and better mental strength so I am looking forward to getting there. I have always found that once I get below 73-74kgs my body performs so much better so I am really looking forward to getting to that stage ASAP.

I look forward to your updated and I hope everyone is feeling well and healthy

17. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Happy new year, everyone. I hope things have gone well for you all over this season.

It's a while since I posted here because my ongoing work issues have pretty much monopolised my energies. I'm slowly making progress on that front, I'm happy to say. It will be a while yet before I'm out of the woods, but I'm determined to get there.

I didn't try to make any more fat loss progress during the last few weeks of December. As much as I'd love to achieve everything in the shortest available timespan, sometimes external events set the agenda and the priorities. I did, however, reach a low of 7.2% body fat, which I'm pleased with. Although most of my body was very lean, the last remaining fat was almost all in the navel area and it seems I'll need to be sub-6.5% to remedy that. So that is going to be my goal when I diet down next time around. I'm glad that I know what I will have to do.

Meanwhile, I have started bulking again now. Round about the start of april I will renew my fat loss program, so look out for a 6.5% body fat challenge this coming Spring :)

18. user786

user786 Active Member

Just to say well done on hitting sub 8%. :tu: did you take Any piccies?

19. erik.whitman

WHats Been Going On

SO....Welcome back Garvic. Great to have you. Philiph great work. I might ask how you were able to get so low in a relatively short amount of time. Any training/diet tips would be great. I have been relatively stuck at the weight I am at for like 2 months now, since I hurt my shoulder. Discourageing, but I still look at the positive side of things. I have lost 17 lbs. and 6% BF. I am going to start lifting again on the 15th so I hope to start seeing results again. I am also signing up for Swolecats SGX program. I plan on updating with how that goes, (without giving any of Swoles secrets away of course). So my ultimate oal is single digit BF% by April 25th. So we will see....

20. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Philph, well done on reaching the goal. Can you give some tips on what it was like trying to shed the last few kilo's. I am sure it got a little stubborn towards the end.