1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Philph's "reach 8% body fat" challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by philph, Oct 22, 2007.

1. philph

philph Well-Known Member

For all of us on my challenge, here's a little treat. Please try this if you like chocolate cake but don't want to mess up your calories or macronutrient totals:

Philph's low fat low carb chocolate cake

Carbs and fat are both less than 6 grams for a whole bowl of chocolate cake. But what you do get is 40 grams of top quality protein.

2. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi

Will def be giving the chocolate cake a go. thanx for the recipe
    Things are good at the moment, working hard at the gym, boxercise again yesterday (love it).
    Weight has more or less stayed the same.
    Hope everyone is having a good week.

3. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

I am Back

Went SCUBA diving this weekend. Great Time. :tu: The only thing I dont like about going Scuba Diving is there is nothing of any nutritional value to eat while I am there. The redemeing feature is that I burn about 500 claories per dive. So when I dive 3 times per pay I burn an additional 1500 cals above my BMR. :) So Scuba works out pretty well for my cutting program. All in all despite the fact that I cannot eat as clean as I would like I still usually come out ahead. Lost 1 1/2 lbs during the trip.

4. erik.whitman

Snag!!!

So I weighed in this morning just like every other morning and I gained 2.5 lbs over night...WTF!?! I weigh every morning and night. Usually I usually weigh 2 lbs heavier at night than I do in the morning, so when I weighed in at 183 yesterday morning then 185.5 last night I figured I was good. So imagine the shock when I weighed in at 188 this morning. :mad: Tonight I weighed in at 186. I am soooo confused, this has never happened. I have no explanation. My diet for the last 2 days have been on spot, yet some how I gained the weight. I am stumped...I ALWAYS lose like 2 lbs overnight while I sleep. I have no clue what happened....any ideas? :doh:

#84 erik.whitman, Nov 28, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  5. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi Erik,

I do the same weigh in the evening, then weigh in the morning. Unless i have eaten stuff that i shouldnt have done then my weight loss is exactly the same 2lb. Cant think of anything it could have been as you have said that your diet has been good.
    Well weird, i know this is an odd question to ask but did you drink anything before the morning weigh in. ???? Have you eaten anything that you not normally would have done.?? Sorry dont have any answers but hope you get it sorted. Let us know what happens tomorrow might just sort itself out. Hope so. :-)

Last week for me wasnt good, things just going wrong all over the shop but have got back on track this week and all is good. Have decided this week that a year from know (or less) i want a figure that is competition worthy. Have been thinking about it for a long time and have now decided its something that i have to do. Still continue with the fat loss but if anyone has any useful info would much appreciate it.

6. nohope

nohope Active Member

Jumping on this if it's not too late. I'm planning on cutting down to 8% by February and then starting a slow clean bulk. Four days in and starving :(

Gonna read this thread in full tomorrow!

7. Namazu

Namazu Active Member

Philph - I just want to say that this is an awesome thread. You have made excellent progress too (checked out the pics). I've been doing my own cut from around about the time you started by the looks and am down to about 12% now (from 18%).

I did SGX last year and made good progress, so put myself back on the protocol and am cutting again but using a different work out plan. My goal is also 8% (but to be honest I would be happy if I could break the 10% barrier).

I'll keep checking in on this thread. There's lots of good info here.

8. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Erik,

The only rational explanation is that one or both of the readings were in error. With my scales, sometimes you have to get on and off them a few times before the reading "settles down".

Nohope and Namazu, welcome! I hope we'll be reading about your progresses towards you goals.

As for me, I've had a very testing few weeks, with some very serious stresses originating from work. I've responded by overeating and binging quite a few times. Surprisingly, my weight is down another kg today. Also, despite recently feeling discouragingly small and fat, I'm getting a renewed stream of compliments from the general public about my appearance, so go figure.

Last night, despite the most intense tiredness, I began the 5x5 period of of my program. This morning I am finally going to bite the bullet and begin doing some low intensity cardio.

9. erik.whitman

Monthly Progress

So yes the scales went back down to where they were before. Man was I stupified over that. Talk about discouraging. But what ever. SO for the month of November my goal was to hit 180lbs... I did not quite get there. But I did lose 7.5 lbs total this month; 1 inch off my waist and .75 off my hips. Kept all other measurements (chest/neck/arms) close to the same. Increased my deadlift 50lbs, my BP by 30 lbs, and squated 365 lbs for 3 DEEP Reps.

I am still trying to find someplace to hydrostaticly check my BF %. I see what I look like and what other people look like with relatively the same level of definition and I feel like I am leaner than the 17% I come up with. Of course I am using the online BF% estimators from tape measurements, so I am sure there is a bit of varience built in the calculations.

My goal for the month of Dec is to get to 175 lbs. With a considerable drop in BF %.

10. nohope

nohope Active Member

On track here, cheated healthy on my fifth and sixth meal because I needed energy to stay up late and finish an essay. Going to the gym today to start up a weightlifting routine again, will try some fasted cardio tomorrow morning.

I don't know why, maybe it's the caloric deficit, the increase of Omega3 or the reduced carbohydrates, but my mind feels crystal clear. Does anybody else get this?

11. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I always feel better overall when I get some omega 3 fat. As for low calories and low carbs, hmm... I don't think it could ever stop being a trial of nerves for me.

It's low-intensity exercise on my stationary bike again this morning. I avoid straying above 75% of max heart rate. This is definitely NOT intended to be a calorie-burning game. (The day I perform an exercise mainly to burn calories, someone please shoot me because my stupidity will clearly be irreparable).

12. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Work stresses have continued to make this a difficult time for me. There's a lot at stake (=business, home, marriage, and more). My diet has suffered, as it tends to for most people under prolonged stress. But my priority for now is to overcome my problems so I still have a livelihood and life that enables me to train and live the way I want to. Therefore I don't feel a lot of remorse about eating some extra carbs right now if it helps me to fire on all cylinders when I need to.

Weight, incidentally, is still slowly falling, as is my waist size at the naval (my biggest and most stubborn fat area). It's getting nearer to the 34 inch mark. My jeans feel a bit loose some days.

When I'm at home tomorrow night I'll take some new photos.

13. erik.whitman

Philip,

Dont sweat it dude. Everybody has moments like that. So if you havee to indulge in some extra carbs do it. Do whatever it takes to maintain what you value. If you need extra support we will be here for you.

14. erik.whitman

Plateau

With the exception of the unexplained weight gain/loss a week or so ago my weight has remained pretty much the same for the last 2 weeks. I hit 183.5 on 25 NOV and have been bouncing around 183 & 185 since. I have been eating fairly clean, and have actually increased my cardio. I cannot figure it out. I had to stop lifting for the last couple weeks due to a nagging shoulder pain. Can it really be as simple as the lack of lifting is slowing/stopping my weight loss? Any suggestions?

15. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi Eric,
    Could be lack of lifting if your eating is only "fairly clean". Hope the shoulder eases up.

I seem to have had one problem after another and it really threw me off track. This has been really frustrating for me. Over the past couple of weeks doing one of my routines i started to get pain in my wrists. Then it got worse ended up with pins and needles in my arm and pain in my elbow.
    Worked out tonite just lowered the weight slightly as the doc told me to take it easy for a week. Havent had any pain today so im hoping that its just a case of strengthening my wrists due to the heavier workload.
    I am back on track and working out the best i can eating clean.

16. philph

philph Well-Known Member

As you can see from the attached pics, I've lost a lot of muscle size, and not made much progress yet with the adbominal fat.

Once I reach my current goal, I'm not going to hang around there long.

Attached Files:

17. erik.whitman

Philip

I would say you are coming along nicely. You are a beast! Great upper body development. Keep up the hard work. I have been stuck at the same weight for like 2 weeks now. I cannot seem to bust through this plateau. I cannot wait until I can lift again. I think that should help get me out of this rut I seem to be stuck in.

18. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Thanks Erik, it is good to have the support. Anything that makes me feel less discouraged right now is a positive thing.

This morning's weigh in mesaured me at 86 kg (~189 lb). My weight has gone down by about 5 kg in the last six weeks, which is an average of about 1.8 lb per week over that time. That's about the right rate for me, athough I think my body compodition has got worse.

19. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I enjoyed today's back/chest workout, and felt more physically productive than I have for a while.

Back/chest on my current program looks like this:

Flat BB bench press 5 x 5
    Deadlifts 5 x 5
    Flat DB bench press (palms facing) 3 x 5
    Wide pronated pullups 3 x 5

20. Gorilla

Gorilla Active Member

Holy crap mate! You are looking great! Trust me, don't let the little set backs or the moments of self doubt ruin what is obvious progress :tu: