1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Philph's "reach 8% body fat" challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by philph, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi All

I agree with garvic's comment that we seem to be in the same place.I was pretty good last week but there was plenty of room for improvement. Im determined to make this a really good week.

Garvic, glad the hip is getting there sounds as if its going to take time and you just need to roll with it, this can be frustrating but with support behind you things willl be a bit easier.

Have done a boxercise session this morning doing weights this evening. Today is a no carb day so im expecting to feel a little on the lethargic side later on or tomorrow. Have had a few light headed spells too which is something dont normally get.
    Traning is good though, for the next four weeks im going to aim for two sessions of boxercise per week. Body fat % is going to be done thursday afternoon so will be trackable, which is better for gauging my progress.

2. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Hi Jo and Phil,

Lets all try and be really really clean with the diet this week and then see the results at the end of the weekend. Once we get on a roll it should be easier to maintain.

3. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you. On the bright side, it's better to progress in a moderate way than if we'd all lost way too much weight and burnt out. As it is, we each have to make adjustments now, and that's all part of the fun :)

As for me, the biggest challenge is always calories. When I exceed my calorie target, it's always with "healthy" food - just too much of it. This may be better than if I were to binge on junk food, but nevertheless excess calories are excess calories and they will still slow or reverse my progress regardless of the source.

To help encourage this week's calorie reduction, therefore, I'm also (reluctantly) keeping well away from several foods that are healthy foods in their own right, but unfortunately cause me woeful temptation in terms of quantity. The one exception to that is almonds. Despite the huge danger they pose to me 24 hours a day, they are uniquely important in my diet because of their combination of fibre, vitamin E and monounsaturated fat, so I'm going to just have to use restraint and limit their intake to the planned amounts.

4. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

I agree with the committing to eating clean. Yesterday was a day out of the norm, had to work away from the office and no chance of eating my regular meals, or at the time i have managed to stick to for the past three weeks. But i didnt eat anything that wasnt clean, just didnt get too eat enough. Back to the norm today.
    Prob no two this week, i have a date tomorrow and we are meeting for a drink at the pub, will only be one as im driving anyway but i dont really drink apart from the odd once or twice a year anyway.

Weight today was 147.5 lbs (starting weight was - 158lbs,
    total loss so far of : 10.5 lbs (well chuffed)

#64 jo8216, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  5. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I adjusted my calories starting on monday, and so far so good, despite some obvious extra hunger.

The training split I mentioned before very quickly proved to be problematic, and from last week I reverted to something simpler. Today was legs, and I did supersets of squats 8 x 10 and flat DB hamstring curls 8 x 10.

My hugely improved water intake seems to be paying dividends. Though it hasn't reduced my appetite as some people find, it has made me feel better.

6. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

I hit the free weights this morning and it was really good. My eating clean stand will be tested tonight at a client cocktail party. I am determined ti be good. I am also going to eat just before I go so I am less tempted by the canapes. I am actually looking forward to the challenge.

I am weighing in on the weekend so no idea about progress although last night I think I saw my abs a little more in the mirror.

Does everyone else get huge fluctuations in weight when they have something salty? I had a vietnamese broth with chicken breat and fresh veges and I was 4kg's heavier the next day!!!

Hope the date goes well Jo and well done on the weight loss to date. We all seem motivated to keep going so that is good

7. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Thanx Garvic,

Im really pleased with my progress so far, id never done a carb cycling before and it is working wonders.
    Cant say that i had noticed the salt issue though, but i cant really eat salty food years of not having it added to food, so when i do eat something salty its a real turn off (apart from peanuts love em so much , too much so dont go there :-)

8. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Regarding sodium - yes, I think it sometimes has an effect on my weight the next day, but to be honest I've never checked this with enough precision to be sure.

I'm starting to feel better and better about my program. Carbs are now genuinely low, even when strictly counting the grams of usable carbs in broccoli and coffee. I've increased fat intake a little as well. This change was a bit of a psychological shock to the system, and I had a much bigger than planned cheat meal on thursday. The following day, I exceeded my calorie target, but had my macros very well controlled.

Yesterday and today have been completely to plan, and I'm already feeling physically good. This evening was legs - I got through it, and am surprisingly feeling energised now despite the low carbs. This is very, very cool.

I'm looking forward to my next "carb re-feed". If my body feels like it does tonight, even on my low carb days after training my legs, and I manage to find a successful balance of strict days and cheat days, then this truly will be a system that gets a 10/10 from me.

On the training side of things, it's nice to be back on my familiar split. It's been good to me.

9. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I didn't do a weigh-in today. I can feel the fat is reducing again, and that's good enough for me.

Today's back & chest workout was poor in terms of energy. I faded quickly after the first couple of sets. After that, the reps had to be seriously reduced. Once again, though, despite the loss of stamina I didn't get any nausea or bad discomfort, and I feel great psychologically. Tomorrow is a rest day and I intend to use it wisely. Thank heavens I'm not doing cardio.

10. erik.whitman

erik.whitman Active Member

Is It To Late?

I am wanting to join a challenge and I think this one is right up my alley. Am I too late? Any ways my progress thus far..

Oct 1, 2007: 200 lbs 21% BF
    Nov 20, 2007: 185 lbs 17% BF

Looking to drop another 3-5 lbs by the end of the month. Thanksgiving be dammed! I'll just have to Cardio extra hard a couple days after. :D

11. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Hey Erik, it'd be great to have you on board!

That's a nice drop in body fat % you've made so far. I'll be looking forward to hearing about your program, and watching your continued progress.

12. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Did boxercise yesterday , had a good workout.

Did my weight training, this may not be a biggie for the guys, but i managed to go up to the 17.5 kg on the dumbell row, only managed 7 reps for the 3 sets, but happy with the progress.

13. erik.whitman

So Here I Am

Let me tell you a little about myself first. Because of my work situation I have a really unique exercise program. I work 7 days on 3 days off. I also travel alot durring the month any where from 9-12 days per month. So due to this I have created a program that seems to be working very well for me. My current program is as:

Day 1: Chest, Shoulders, Tri's & 20 Min HITT Cardio
    Day 2: Legs, Back, Bi's & 25 Min MISS Cardio
    Day 3: Plyometrics / Body Weight Calisthenics & Abs
    Day 4: 45 Min LISS
    Day 5: Chest, Shoulders, Tri's & 20 Min HITT Cardio
    Day 6: Legs, Back, Bi's & 25 Min MISS Cardio
    Day 7: Kettlebell Circuit Training & Abs
    Day 8-10 Outdoor Recreational Activites e.g. Scuba, Bike Rideing, Hiking etc..

Now due to my travel situation I have started to take a 35lbs Kettlebell & Jumprope everywhere I go. This way I always have a workout close at hand. I have always been in decent shape & I have been working out off and on for years now. On since Oct 06.

My nutrition was about the only thing that I have been lagging. Now sicne I found JSF.com I would say it is pretty much dialed in now. This website have given me so much knowledge and motivation that I cant even begin to say how much I truely appreciate it. This site has helped me in numerous ways. I already logged all my workouts; now I log all my food intake, track my weight / BF% loss/gain, and keep a nutritional/exercise "Diary" (a little girly, but it helps).

As far as my nutrition goes I consume anywhere from 1900-2400 cals a day depending on if it is a high carb low carb days. I consume a majority of my calories through Protien. I average 1.25g of protien per lbs of body weight. I eat between 130 up to 200g of clean carbs a day, and I try to limit my fat intake to good fats only. I have been doing this for about 8 weeks now and have seen real results in both body weight and BF %. I think I may have made some greater strides, except for about 3 weeks I was battleing an NASTY sinus infection that pretty much all but stopped my weight loss. Durring that 3 weeks I lost 1 1/2 lbs compared to the 2 1/2 to 3 lbs per week durring the other 5 weeks. Now that I am over the sinus infection I have lost an additional 2 lbs this week. Unfortunatley I still have Thanksgiving to get through. But what the hell I am not gonna miss that to save a pound or two that I could easily work off later in the week. I could list my meal plan if anyone is interested but I think I am doing okay for now. Well thanks for letting me in the challenge I will post some pics soon.

14. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

I too am gonna jump aboard this challenge.

I've been bulking with carguy and the other for the last 3 months and alone a month before that. During that time I've gained about 20lbs. During the last couple of weeks, however, I've started to eat sloppy and have been feeling fat and bloated. I'm in the process of starting SGX for the next 3 months, and hope to get my BF% lower than it's ever been before. Hopefully, I'll be able to get it quite lower for NYE.

As I understand it I won't be able to share my workout and diet while on SGX but I'll be here for moral support and will also post my progress.

Philph, I think I actually did almost bump into you at King's Cross the other day out side the Pentanville Road entrance.

15. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Boxercise sounds intriguing - what does that involve?

7 reps for 3 sets approaching failure at good form is respectably heavy, and will have the desired training effect on your body - regardless of what other people can or can't lift! :tu:

16. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Erik, well done on making a solid program that fits with an unusual cycle of available days. I imagine some people might have just tried to lamely tweak a "conventional" pattern into their timeframe, whereas you've obviously really thought about how to make a program work for you.

You also seem like a very physically active guy. I wish I had that much energy :) With your frequency of cardio, we are each doing kind of the opposite in a sense, but it's nice that our little group on this challenge is using a variety of different tools to reach our goal; it's a good reminder that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Woodan, welcome to our nuthouse! As you know, I also took part in Carguy's challenge, except I had an even longer start before joining that challenge (hence I finished a few weeks ago, also having added about 20lb).

Next time you see me in the street, give me a shout! I know I look touchy and miserable when I'm walking along, but don't worry, that is only an illusion.*

After the unbridled fun of bulking, cutting could seem a bit of a downer by comparison (once the novelty has worn off), but with the encouragement this little group is giving each other, it helps make it more enjoyable and I think all of us have benefited in terms of morale and focus.

I've not done SGX, though I did SUP-2 in the past and if that's anything to go by, SGX is likely to be very productive.

* maybe caused by the hunger caused by cutting ;)

17. erik.whitman

The energy level is sometimes hard to keep up. It takes alot of mental toughness and discipline to keep it up. I think the changes I have made, make it a little easier to stay motivated. Also I have found that by day 5-6 my energy levels were really dropping and my workouts suffered as a result. So as of late I have been carb cycling with 3 days low carb & 1 day high carb; with my highest carb day being on day 4, it really helps keep sustaining my energy levels a little easier.

I have tailored my workouts to create a more athletic body type, as opposed to a body building physique. I am going for a high strength to weight ratio. I am seeking to achieve functional strength, as opposed to just "How Much Can You Bench?" You would be suprised at how many people I know that can bench 225 for 12 reps but cant do 3 pull-ups. Or can squat 350 lbs but have shitty vertical/broad jumps. I do alot of the "CORE" lifts. eg Squats, Deadlifts, Standing Shoulder Press, Bench Press, just started to do Power Cleans, as well as a multitude of Body Weight Exercises. Just started the Kettlebell Circuit Training about 3 weeks ago. Damn Tough training. Wears me out! But in a good way.:tu:

#77 erik.whitman, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  18. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi

Boxercise is a form of sparring the trainer having pads for me to hit (which is great for frustration of the day). Mostly end up doing one minute hard hitting (the pads) as hard as i can then fifteen seconds rest and then fifteen seconds punching the pads as fast with good form as i can. It is an arm killer, do three lots of these with three minutes inbetween running lightly on the treadmill. Usually do this twice a week did another session last nite. Get to do different combinations too, the kicks are good and its an overall good workout.

19. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Well, five straight days of below-50g carbs (4 of those days below 20g), and not a trace of ketosis! Maybe that post-workout glutamine really does replenish glycogen on its own, like the theory says.

Whether I'm losing fat any faster during my low carb days than I would on any other diet (of the same calories), I have no idea. But for the time being I'm finding the novelty and the challenge very helpful.

Today I had my scheduled cheat meal. I enjoyed it hugely. Once I feel my digestion has settled a bit more I will do my leg workout, which is currently 10x10 squats supersetted with 10x10 lying hamstring curls.

20. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Well this evening I felt something I hadn't felt in a long time - over-fullness. Seriously, this is a breakthrough for me. My cheat meal was big, but usually I feel the same afterwards as I do before, no matter how much I eat. Tonight I had intestinal pain, and no further desire to eat. I have a chocolate bar here - rich, black, 85% organic chocolate, fresh from the fridge, and I don't desire to go and eat it. It's not because I've forgotten how good the stuff tastes (I ate a bar of it earlier). I just don't feel an urge to eat - for the first time in forever.

My guts hurt so much I had to stop my squats / hams after 5 supersets. Thursday workouts are in my home gym, so I went and sat down on my armchair in the lounge, and felt like I was going to fall asleep.

This may sound like a screw-up to some reading this - Philph has binged, f^&£ed up his workout, and is experiencing discomfort as the only reward. But to me this is a big leap: satiety has almost always been one of my biggest challenges, and while I didn't dare to hope that this current dietary program would make much difference to that, my experience tonight tells me that I could have been satisfied with a far smaller meal tonight (eaten at a normal speed), despite the previous days of caloric restriction.

I always take things for their experimental value. So today I ate maybe 10,000 calories (and guess what, it wasn't broccoli). Hobbling home I looked like a constipated duck because my jeans felt too tight. I had to stop my workout halfway and was clutching my abdomen as though I were miraculously having male menstrual problems. So what. Once my guts have settled again I'm going back in my gym to finish my sets. Then I'm going to eat some high fibre sea vegetables, taurine, and fish oil, take a shower, collapse into a wonderful uninterrupted sleep, and start Friday morning pumped and strong.