1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Philph's "reach 8% body fat" challenge

Discussion in 'Fitness Challenges' started by philph, Oct 22, 2007.

1. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the details on the smoothie. I'll give it a try.

2. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Four days to go until my next weekly weigh-in - I can't wait to see what kind of progress I've made so far.

This week I've had what I think could be a helpful break-through. On Tuesday, I had remedial massage, the first time for a few weeks, and the therapist discovered a couple of very tight areas that we previously hadn't found before. Among these was a pair of areas either side of my lower spine, in the fascia of the erector spinae. Now, my therapist had deactivated tight regions in (or surrounding) those muscles before, but this was something else! The referred pain from these spots was just like the worst pain that I get if my lower back "seizes up" during walking lunges or squats - same place, same type of pain (only more intense).

Afterwards, walking home, I found I was walking faster and more effortlessly than usual. And the next day, I got through my six sets of walking lunges and six sets of squats with practically no complaint from my back. Just a few lunges would normally trigger back problems for me, sometimes enough to abort my workout.

Tomorrow is back day, and it's going to be interesting to see how my deadlifts and bent over rows will feel.

3. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Thats great that your back is better. I sprained my hip so it is holding me back om the running and sqats

Going to do upper body today and some swimming

The pants feel a little looser so am looking forward to comparing weekly pictures tomorrow

4. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Garvic, I'm sorry to hear about the hip. Injuries suck.

The pants getting looser is a good quality sign of progress!

5. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Hi
    Glad to hear the news on the back phil, nothing worse than back pain.

Well ive got a couple more days till i weigh in, this week has been good. Could have been better, find it easier to stick to things when i have a routine. This week had three days off work which kind of chuck things out a little. Training has been good though and start a new three day split programme monday. Will post. It looks pretty good and cant wait to do something different, after nearly eight weeks on my other programme its getting a little dull.

I am getting results already with the cutting nutrition plan which is good. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Jo

6. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

Ok I gave this a shot today. You were right. Surprisingly, it did taste ok. In the end I went for a few florets of frozen broccoli, some OJ and 5 strawberries. The colour was revolting but upon taste it was OK. And the fact that the broccoli started frozen gave it a nice chill. I'll definitely be doing that again.

7. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Jo - I'm the same way, when I have a definite routine I always do better. I find that it naturally encourages discipline, so it's a kind of "benevolent circle". I'd probably do well in the military (if only I could accept orders!). I'm looking forward to seeing your training details. Good luck for the weigh-in!

Woodan - I know what you mean about the colour ... it's kind of like diseased quicksand.

8. philph

philph Well-Known Member

I've just finished this evening's workout. My saturday workout is done at home, and tends to be longer than my three weekday workouts (which are at the gym with my trainer).

Because I have a three-way split but four workouts a week, my weekend workout at home alternates between the three workouts, and this evening was chest and biceps. I decided on this occasion, for the chest part of my workout, just to do incline DB bench press and focus on my upper chest, which has been lagging. After a couple of warm-up sets with a low weight, I did 4x7 at my normal tempo and then 3x12 (with the same weight) with a faster concentric.

Below are two progress pics that I took today.

Attached Files:

9. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Phil,

I can see some progress, your mid-section looks more defined.

Bloody hell, you are built like a tank! My shots I warn you all will look quite lame.

10. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Thanks - I think compared with a couple of weeks ago, I've lost maybe an inch from my waist, and there is occasionally the first hint of some definition there.

lol, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me!

What counts is your own progress, and your goals and intent, and the ability of your pic to occupy some position of your road. In this context, it is never lame.

11. smalltex

smalltex Well-Known Member

Philph,
    Out of curiosity, I checked out your first pictures here on the forums back in '05. I just can't believe the incredible progress that you've made. I know this is the result of working your tail off and you are to be congratulated. I honestly think this is one of the most impressive transformations that I've seen on the site.

After seeing that picture, there is no doubt that you will reach your goal of 8% at some point--just a matter of time. Keep up the good work.

12. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Good morning all

First weigh in

Starting weight was 158lb
    Todays weight was 151.5 lb

Last week didnt quite go as planned, the few days off that i had were at the wrong time really. I tend to do better while im at work i just find it so much easier to stick to what im trying to achieve. Although its a result i hope this week the weight loss just calms down slightly or i will need to increase my calories.
    Can see a difference though after one week of doing the carb cycling so it obviously works (never tried it before). So im really pleased with my progress.

As promised here is my workout (done by my trainer) so if any comments they are welcome. Also at first glance i wonder whether the chest and back day and the leg day needs something else.

Chest / Back
    Bench dumbell press x3 sets 10 reps
    Bent dumbell row x 3 sets 10 reps
    Knees on bench press ups 3 sets max reps
    Wide grip Pull downs x3 sets 10 reps
    Pullovers x3 sets 10 reps

Shoulders / Triceps / Biceps

Lateral superset(x12 front x12 side x 12 rear) x3 sets
    Seated Barbell Press x3 sets x10 reps
    Ball combination (rotate and press in a plane with feet on floor and chest on ball ) x3 sets x10 reps
    Bench dips x3 sets 15 reps (or max
    Rope extension x3 sets x10 reps
    Biceps e-zbar (21s) x3 sets
    Straight Bar curls 3 sets x6-8 reps

Leg Day
    Dumbells / Sumo squat x3 set x10 reps
    Lunges with weights x3 sets 16-26 reps
    Roundhouse side raises x3 sets 16 - 26 reps
    Hamstring Machine curl x3 sets x 10 reps
    Leg Extensions x3 sets x10 reps

13. philph

philph Well-Known Member

This morning's weigh-in : 91 kg
    Waist (at navel) : 35 "

That's a loss of 6 to 7 pounds.

I'm expecting a lot of my weight loss so far can be accounted for by water and glycogen loss, so at some point I should see a slowing down to nearer the 2 pounds maximum per week that I have targeted. If not, I will up my calories by adding a little extra carbs.

I'm just on my way to work now but will write later.

#33 philph, Oct 29, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  14. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Smalltex - thanks very much for such encouraging comments! I appreciate it at a lot.

Jo - wow, we've both lost about the same amount of weight this week. You started at a lower weight, though, so your loss is proportionately the larger.

I think we're both roughly on course as often reported for low or low-moderate carb diets. Some of what we've lost so far will be water and glycogen. It'll possibly be a week or two more before we can tell what our "real" weekly weight-losses are. A weight loss of 6 or 7 pounds a week is way too much if it still happens every week after this initial rapid weight loss period. In my case, if it stays significantly above 1 to 2 pounds a week after another week or two from now, I will increase calories mainly by adding carbs. Most likely place to add carbs, in that circumstance, will be after my workout - possibly some simple carbs right away, and barley or lower-fat legumes later in the day. My protein and fat intakes are already sufficient.

Garvic - how are you doing so far?

15. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Hi guys,

I am doing pretty well. I have had a few mishaps on the diet as I was working late on friday and really needed to eat. All I could get was potato chips. I could not believe how much I bloated and it really threw out my daily weigh-in stats.

Anyway, now that I am back on track, I am 166-167 lbs. My BF was 15.5% so I am down from 16.7% about 10 days ago.

My focus is:

a) keep the diet right and make sure I have more food on hand at work
    b) focus on the cardio whilst my lower joints heal-will also do some upper body.

You guys are going really great!! I am inspired by how you are going and keep thinking I need to pull my weight to keep up with the team so this group challenge is fun and motivating.

Overall I am happy with how I am feeling, I may ask for advice to mix things up later with diet etc but I think it is working....

Take care guys. I have bootcamp in the morning so I am looking forward to that. I am hoping it will skyrocket my metabolism and BMR!!!

BTW-I am getting sick of people asking why I am trying to lose weight as they think I am skinny now.

16. jo8216

jo8216 Active Member

Garvic,

I know what you mean about being told that you are already skinny to be doing anything else. I get told that by several people all the time. Especially when i say what i am doing, or i get the have you lost more weight.
    Thing is i always think you have to be happy with how you are and with your body shape, what everyone else says shouldnt matter, but it is darn annoying.

Rubbish days happen i usually have them at the weekends or when i dont plan properly, i know its frustrating but you kind of just have to let it be that one off time and get back to it. Sh*t happens at the end of the day and we have all been there believe me.

17. philph

philph Well-Known Member

Hey Garvic, sounds like you've made a solid start, judging by your drop in body fat percent.

As far as people not understanding what you're doing, this will happen from time to time at various stages. I think you have to remember that most people are just not familiar with the concept of body composition improvement. The best thing is to avoid it as far as possible in conversation, unless the other person seems very likely to be willing and able to learn. Just let them see you as happy and relaxed in general, and let them draw their own conclusions in their own time.

18. Garvic

Garvic Active Member

Thanks guys,

It always amazes me that so many people do not care about the quality of food they eat, rather a preference for convenience. I also try and stay away from the conversation, but some people go in for the kill.

I must say, I always laugh my arse off when people say things such as "I don't go to the gym as I put on muscle too easily and I want to reduce my size".

Starting to feel better each day. The more I eat well the more energy I have.

I am looking frwrad to getting towards the 12-13% BF levels as this is when the changes become really noticeable and it is much easier to do pretty much anything.

Have a good day guys

19. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Damn, your progress has been phenomenal. I remember when you first cam e to the site. What was your program like?

20. woodan

woodan Well-Known Member

No shit, you wouldn't want to bump into Philph in a dark alley around King's Cross! ;)