1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2018

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Feb 27, 2018.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    :kickrock:

2. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    So anyway... thanks for all the well wishes. I've been off all week, and while I had good intentions to get a bunch of stuff done, that didn't happen. That's not to say that I won't suddenly get myself into gear and knock some things out of the park this weekend and next week. Honestly, I think I am pretty run down right now from the past six months of working at Amazon, so maybe its just my body (and mind) recovering from the trauma.

3. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    That sounds like Amazon. :nod:

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, it was indeed a productive weekend. I have been manipulating my vehicle collection over the past three weeks, and in the process cleaning out the garage. Here's what happened so far:

1) I had an old pickup truck (89 Ford F-150) that I had been using as a mobile dumpster (i.e. throw all my trash etc in the back, and when it was full drive it to the dump, rinse and repeat). This vehicle was not registered, and over time the front brakes began to "drag" from rust and inactivity. My younger son asked me if I could get it running so he could take it the Firefly music festival, so I made the investment in brakes and tires (and a wiper motor), put it on the insurance, re-registered it (as an antique so no need for state inspection), and he was able to drive it there and back (and had a great time). Since it is the most legal vehicle I own at this point, it's become my "new" daily driver... with the plan to ride my bike to work starting next week, I don't think it will see many miles except for the occasional trip to PA (and the more frequent trip to Home Depot). This will also come in handy as I now have a vehicle I can haul stuff in (landscape and building materials, kayaks etc, and the occasional Craigslist find) in addition to making those dump runs with construction debris/junk.

2) With the truck on the road, I decided I no longer needed the car I had bought in the fall (04 Dodge Neon) to make the daily hour each way commute to my job at Amazon. While this was a great running (and not bad looking car), it wouldn't pass MD inspection as it needed a new rear bumper (I spun out in a snowstorm over the winter, ending up in a ditch and cracking the bumper in the process)... it honestely never gave me on problem during the six months when I was putting 500+ miles on it each week. I paid $200 for the car, and was able to sell it for $500 over the weekend to someone from DE (where I assume they don't check things like bumpers in their registration process).

3) With the money from the Neon, I am turning my attention to the Jeep (89 Wrangler). The brake system failed last summer (I was told the lines were rusted/rotted/leaking and it had the same caliper/rotor issues as the truck, where they would start to seize when they heated up) and I pushed it into the garage and let it sit (killing the battery in the process). I had it towed to the local garage this morning, and hope to have the repairs done by next week, at which point I will also re-register it, giving me two vehicles to choose from depending on where I am going/what I am doing on a given day. Obviously the Jeep is a very fun ride (no top, no doors, no problem) and perfect for tooling around town here and the occasional road trip, and I'm looking forward to having it back in the driveway.

In the process of all this, I also have been clearing out much of the clutter in the garage, rebuilding the kayak/paddleboard rack (we are up to three single kayaks, one paddleboard, and a double kayak/canoe), getting all the bicycles tuned up (I counted seven, but plan to get rid of the two kid-sized BMX bikes soon, leaving two beach cruisers, a mountain bike, my touring cross-bike, and my road/racing bike), and dealing with the other boats (my inflatable dinghy, which we took out last weekend and seems to be working well, two inflatable kayaks (which still need a good cleaning/mildew treatment), and of course my project powerboat (which is sitting on the trailer in the garage, filled with all kinds of other watersports-related stuff)... the latter probably won't get touched this summer. I also made arrangements for someone to come take away my old lawn tractor (which hasn't run for a few years)... I was hanging on to it thinking I would get it fixed at some point, but decided that paying someone $30 a cut to have my lawn done was a better choice than investing in repairs and spending a few hours a week cutting my own grass. I also put a few things up on Craigslist (the BMX bikes and one of those little electric "pocket rocket" motorcycles which needs a new battery) and hope they will be gone soon.

So I actually have room to walk around in there now, and my next project is to clean off the workbenches, at which point I plan to have a big yard sale and get rid of YEARS worth of collected stuff, ranging from youth teeball, golf, and lacrosse equipment to various marine gadgets and parts, to random household objects. The power of decluttering and discarding is amazing, and it's really helped me stay motivated to continue making this kind of progress. Considering that I promised my wife that there would be movement on the cottage renovations this summer, that's really important right now. Another added benefit is that I may actually have room to set up a small workout area in the garage for the summer (all my dumbbells are sitting on one of the workbenches right now)... it's actually nice and cool in the garage at this time of the year, and it won't clutter up the apartment where I had once tried to use them.

Oh yeah... tomorrow is day 25 of the 100 pushup challenge (which would culminate on my birthday in September), so I'm 1/4 of the way there, and while I haven't done anything with a nutrition plan, I did track my stats last week and plan to try to get back (starting today) to drinking a gallon of fluids daily, which should also help. And to top it off, it looks like we are going to have spectacular weather on Wednesday for the planned golf outing with M@ (our second of the year).

p.s. I do still do have my big sailboat in the water, and while it needs a lot of work, its a stretch goal to get it out of the slip by the end of the season. It could happen...

dejavued likes this.
  5. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Wow... a lot of good stuff done on many fronts...

6. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    ...and is full of spiders! :ohnoes: :scared: :ohnoes:

Nice! :tucool:

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That was one productive weekend!

Are you and M@ still on for golf tomorrow?

8. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    :nod:

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :claphigh: M@, hopefully you have your new clubs and will give them a try tomorrow. Enjoy guys!

10. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Have fun golfing today

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep... M@ and I had another stellar round of golf on Wednesday... weather was overcast and cool for this time of year. We did get rained on for like two holes, but otherwise it was good, and we saw LOTS of wildlife on the course, including a bunch of orioles, one of whom paid us a pretty close visit, plus turtles, carp, herons, and pesky gophers who were digging holes under the greens and pissing off the assistant greenskeeper (wait... that last one was Caddyshack, not us). We both played true to form (M@ was hitting consistently longer than usual even without his new clubs, and I somehow managed to get a birdie on one hole and dropped a number of long putts) and both broke 100 for the first time we remembered. Next month (probably late July / early August) we are thinking of playing over on his side of the pond.

dejavued and IROC-Z like this.
  12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Glad you guys had such a nice time.

13. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Sounds like fun.....

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    It was another great day out. I even got an iPhone photo of a blue heron at Blue Heron golf course. :spaz:

Seltzer likes this.
  15. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

:lol: Must be beautiful - care to post?

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't seem to be able to post photos. I know on the old site I'd more than exceeded the free members' allotment of storage space for pics, so I'm assuming that's the problem.

dejavued likes this.
  17. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Just checking in... not a lot happening on the fitness front, but the new job is going well and I'm generally happy with my life, so I've got that going for me... which is nice.

dejavued likes this.
  18. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi Phil! Are you still doing the push up challenge?

19. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

:tucool:

That is more important than anything really.

20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Well well well...would you look at the time...:spaz:

dejavued likes this.