1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2018

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Feb 27, 2018.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    I know I posted a few times this year in my 2017 thread, but for the interest of continunity etc, here we go.

As you may recall, I had signed up for a Planet Fitness membership at the closest location to my MD house (actually in the next state over... Middletown DE to be exact) at the turn of the calendar, but after going just once I realized that it just wasn't going to work out (no pun intended).. So I dropped that option and plan to try and work out at the PF near my house in PA as a guest on my wife's membership instead.

Right now, I'm hoping to get in two workouts there per week (mainly chest one day and back on the other, with a leg exercise tacked on to each), and add a third day at home where I can do arms and abs with minimal equipment. Tonight I'm going to test the theory that this plan will work and will try a full body circuit workout after driving up there, subsequently spend the night, and head into work from there in the morning. No plans for any structured cardio at this time... I've been able to stay lean for about six months now without it, and I'd rather focus on building muscle right now.

Nutritionally, I will probably need to eat more to gain any muscle, but the challenge will be meal timing and composition. I think I will have to go back to planning out most of my meals (I am already preparing breakfast for the week... a crustless quiche with tomatoes and mushrooms that I can quickly heat and eat at work) and get back in the habit of meal prep based on given macros. Will probably stay fairly low in carbs for blood sugar control, and will use a PWO shake as my biggest meal of the day on those that involve the gym, and a "free" meal as the largest on my off days.

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the update and keep posting about how things are doing going forward.

3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I'm guessing that from the lack of posts that the plan didn't go according to... plan. The night I was going to go to the gym, I got home with a fever and that was that. Never stepped foot in the gym again. Still no change to the nutrition plan either... although sometimes I switch out beer for something like bourbon or gin. Well, at least I've posted more recently than M@, so I've got that going for me... which is nice.

4. gazareth

gazareth Senior Member

Bourbon gains :tucool:

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Crazy times... #1 Son went to Los Angeles for spring break (hard to believe that his first year of college is almost over), and on the day he returned Son #2 left for New Orleans with his high school band for a long weekend. I had dropped off the former at the airport (at 4am, which was actually 3am since it was the night that daylight savings time kicked in) and picked up the latter at the airport on Sunday morning. When we got home, we started hearing rumours that one of their high school friends (who was very close with #1 son) had gone missing during a college rugby tournament in Bermuda. As the day progressed, the sense that it might be a prank turned to real anxiety, as we learned his parents were also on the trip, and his mother (who is good friends with my wife) confirmed that he was indeed unaccounted for. By dinner time it had hit the local news. And this morning when I woke up, his body had been found. Obviously everyone is in shock... I've been in touch with #1 Son and he's trying to deal with it while staying focused on his studies and other activities at college. Son #2 is dealing with all the grief going on at the school, however... as is my wife, who has been volunteering there this week for an unrelated activity. As for me... well, it's hard as a parent to think of something like this happening to your own kid, especially since they were both traveling in the past week. Crazy times indeed.

Missing Saint Joseph's Rugby Player Found Dead in Bermuda

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Saw this on the news but it seems more real now. Very difficult for teenagers to lose a friend. At that age we are invincible. Sorry for your kids loss

7. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

holy shit can't believe you guys knew him. just saw this on the news this morning. so sad. :(:(

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Like Mac and Deja I read about it, but that's nothing compared to what your family is experiencing and I can't imagine how the parents of the boy are grappling with this. Just horrific.

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Well... life remains crazy (IMO) but I guess compared with others, it's probably no more or less stressful than most people.

In positive news, I was hired full-time by Amazon... having worked for them through a temp agency for over three months, it is nice to know that the job is permanent now, and in addition to a slight pay increase, I am entitled to all of the benefits the company offers, which are many. Right now, I am working in an area that is very busy but does not have the same level of activity as what I did over the holidays. I'm hoping to transfer back to that department this summer, however, as the benefits of walking 12-15 miles a day were significant.

On the health front, I have basically been eating and drinking whatever I wanted for a long while now, and also stopped taking my diabetes medications (for no good reason)... as a result, despite my weight loss (I have gained back a few pounds, but I am still much lighter than I have been for years) my blood sugar is high. I'm going to make an effort to bring that down by gradually restricting my diet and resume the prescription protocol so see what effect that has.

But most importantly (for this journal) I think I may have figured out how to start lifting again. That theory involves returning to the gym where I used to work, Kent Athletic. Since I have to be at work at 7:30am and my job is an hour away, I usually leave at 6:30am. The gym is on the way (20 minutes from here) and opens at 5:00am, so I wouldn't to adjust my schedule too much to fit in a workout. And as proof of concept, when I worked there I had no problem getting there to open the gym, work out for an hour, and then go to my other job and put in a full day. So I'm going to give that a try this week, and if I can do it, will bite the bullet (it's not an inexpensive membership) and get to it.

10. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Monday April 16 - Day 1
    167.6 lbs @ 18.75% bfa

#10 phillydude, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Tuesday April 17 - Day 2
    167.8 lbs @ 18.95% bfa

12. macdiver

Congratulations on the job.

Regarding your blood sugar and medicine, I know you are aware of the positive benefits of keto diet on reversing type 2 diabetes. Here is a 12 month study where 97 % reduced or eliminated their meds and half of the participants blood sugar has been reduced to no longer being diabetic

Reversing Diabetes With Nutritional Ketosis

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the job and the lifting solution!

Jaer
    didn't know keto was so good for blood sugar.

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for the link. I can attest that when I was on the keto-style diet, my blood sugar levels went down dramatically, almost to the point of being non-diabetic, with no medication. I'm hoping to find a happy medium somewhere that will still allow me to have things like beer.

15. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Wednesday April 18 - Day 3
    167.7 lbs @ 18.50 bfa

Merk likes this.
  16. macdiver

Beer is tough. You could always become a WINO like me. :D.

In all seriousness, limiting the carbs that aren't special to you and having the ones you really enjoy should be a good approach versus eating everything without considering the effect on your blood sugar.

17. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Congratulations on the new job.

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    If you recall, I tried that a little while back when I joined the wine club. Problem was, I could easily drink two bottles of wine in an evening without getting drunk. I can't put down more than 6-8 beers in an evening (I stick to almost exclusively Natural Light these days... which is about the weakest beer available) because I just get full.

Thanks. It's really not that new... I've been there since Thanksgiving. But it feels more "permanent" now...

19. dejavued

dejavued Senior Member

precisely!

......... so did you make it to the gym??? is that plan going to work??

Merk likes this.
  20. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thursday April 19 - Day 4
    168.6 lbs @ 19.45 bfa