1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2017

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Congratulations!

2. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Congratulations.

3. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

In one of life's turns, we got news on Friday night that my uncle (mother's brother) passed away suddenly in Virginia (he had retired there after spending most of his years in Miami, running a business and raising a family). As my mother was a single mom for most of my formative years (and we lived with my grandparents), he was the "father figure" in my life during that time, and I probably have more fond memories of him and things we did together than any other person (excepting my mom and dad). As the evening progressed, I got more and more sad as I recalled so many of these events, and that carried over into most of yesterday. My wife is coming down today (for some reason, she didn't get the text I sent her, so she didn't know until late on Saturday) to help me with all of this.

The one thing I did manage to get done yesterday was to pack for vacation (leaving a week from today). You might think that all I'd need would be a couple bathing suits and a pair of flip flops, but between planning to play golf, taking a surfing lesson, dressing up for dinner on the cruise, and doing the 5k, I ended up with two carry-on size bags... one for the week and one for the weekend. Fortunately, I'll be driving and not flying, so no worries about room (or baggage fees)... I'll also be taking the rest of the family's belongings (as well as Son #2, who is riding down with me but will be flying back with the rest of the family) and all of the assorted sporting gear (boogie boards, golf clubs, etc). Nice to have that new vehicle to haul it all...

4. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Phil, I'm sorry for your loss. My sincere condolences to you and your family.

5. macdiver

Bronze Member

My condolences to you and your family.

6. Bob T

Bob T Well-Known Member

Truly sorry for your loss.

7. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Very sorry for your loss, Phil.

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, we're half way through our Florida vacation, and all is well. Sunday morning at o"dark thirty, Son #2 and I pulled out of PA, and made NC by 11:45 for a lovely BBQ brunch, then highballed it (with the obligatory stop at South of the Border) to Orlando, arriving just as Son #1 and the wife were landing. We stayed there overnight and then headed to Cocoa Beach Monday morning.

Our resort here is functional but not fancy... but for a two bedroom villa close enough to the beach that you can hear the ocean at around $125 a night, we're happy with it. Monday was a chill day... Obtaining provisions and getting settled. Tuesday we hit the beach and watched the rocket launch (headed for the space station) while we boogie boarded and worked on our sunburn. The boys and I headed to the Cocoa Beach Country Club at happy hour and played nine holes... We're going back tonight to finish the round.

Yesterday was our surfing lesson, which was the highlight of the trip so far. #1 Son proved to be a natural, standing up on his second wave and generally killing it. Son #2 got the hang of it pretty quickly, and be caught several good waves as well. As for me... Well, we found a sport where the kids are definitely better than their old man, but I did manage to stand erect on a surfboard for a few seconds over the course of our two hour session. Fortunately, my wife was taking pics and videos from the beach, so we've got proof that happened. Pics after we return...

We went out to dinner last night (nothing remarkable, except that it was on the water and was our only sit-down meal of the week... The rest has been fast food takeout or things that I have made in the kitchen at the resort).

Today will be a beach day. It's not even 9am and I am already one drink in (fresh squeezed Florida OJ with enough rum to prevent scurvy... or is that the other way around?)... Life is good today.

Next update will be post-cruise... We leave tomorrow and will be back Monday... I'll be sure to get a pic with Mickey on the boat, and since we'll be snorkeling in the islands (and I brought my waterproof camera phone) there will hopefully be some good shots of the underwater wildlife too.

9. macdiver

Bronze Member

Sounds like a good time. Enjoy the cruise.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I second what Mac wrote. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

FYI, we're going to Key West on Saturday AM

11. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Aweseome, congratulations! :D

Fck, sorry Philly. :(

I saw a photo on Facebook. :lol: I love Cocoa Beach and have always wanted to see a launch from there. Hope you're having a great time on the cruise.

12. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    And we back... and we back and we back and we back.

Thursday was another chill/beach day, and the boys and I played golf again around dinner time. After that, we spent the evening re-packing for the weekend and loading up the car with the things we wouldn't need on the boat (beach chairs, etc).

We transitioned from land to water on Friday, and once we were settled into our room, I grabbed a plate of stone crab claws and a chaise lounge (they had those big round ones built for two) and the wife and I watched Florida disappear in the distance. We quickly came up with a set of ground rules for the cruise... no buffet meals (if possible) and minimal exposure to children (other than our own). Fortunately, we were able to eat almost every meal in a sit-down full-service restaurant (one breakfast ended up being a buffet in a sit-down location, but we still had servers who brought coffee etc). As for the latter, we ended up spending most of our free time hanging out in the "adult" pool/hot tub area, which was right outside the spa (more on that later).

The boys went to the movies on the boat (Star Wars Rogue One) while my wife and I went to the live stage show (every night they put on a Broadway-style musical), and then we met back up for dinner. This was the first time we met our "tablemates" for the weekend, a family of four with two pre-teen kids from North Carolina. We made minimal small talk... turned out this was the last we would see of them for the duration, as they changed their seating time to the earlier service (our waiter said the 8:15pm time slot was too late for their kids), so we had a table to ourselves for the remainder of the cruise.

Saturday morning, we arrived in the Bahamas, and while the majority of the boat lined up to get off and see Nassau as soon as we docked, we took advantage of the smaller crowds and rode the AquaDuck, the on-board water slide. It's a two-person raft-type ride, which completely circles the length of the ship... nothing too adventurous (except the part when it goes out over the edge of the boat), and even my wife rode it once. After we had lunch, we did leave the ship, as my goal was to have a "legal" drink with #1 Son. So we headed to Senor Frogs.

From there, we walked about a half mile to the public beach for a short rest, and then got back on the boat for the evening stage show (the boys joined us for this one) and another fantastic dinner. I should mentioned that before we ate, we took part in a "chip shot" golf tournament on the boat (they set up one of those mats with the velcro-covered wiffle golf balls... you had to aim for target areas which gave you various scores) which Son #2 won (beating not only his brother and dad, but also several other adults) to score a Disney Cruise Line baseball cap and a big "Winner" medal for his wall at home.

Sunday my wife and I woke up early to find that it was raining at our port of call, Castaway Cay. But we had signed up for the 5k, so we headed out into the storm (honestly, it wasn't raining hard... yet) and did three-ish miles around the island (I ran, she walked)... my time was around 31m. By this time, we were completely soaked, so we got back on the boat to dry off, change clothes, and wake the boys for breakfast. By this time, it was late morning, and we decided (again, going against the grain of the majority of the boat) to head back onto the island (in a much harder rain) to do some snorkeling... something we had been looking forward to all week. After all, we were already going to be wet, so what did it matter?

I fully intended to take pictures of this underwater adventure (I had brought my old water-proof phone) but it had fallen out of my pocket somewhere along the way, but we had fun and a lot of laughs, especially afterwards when we had lunch (served BBQ buffet-style, but with the seating in a different open-air pavilion, which meant dashing back and forth through now-tropical storm conditions). By the time we got back on the boat, we were ready to relax before the show (and dinner). So we headed to the spa...

The spa on the Disney Cruise (and on most cruise ships) is very expensive. There were no offerings under $150 (even a manicure or a short massage), and even a three-day pass to use the "public" areas was around $100. But I had discovered earlier in the trip that the "changing rooms" were stocked with a wet sauna room, robes and slippers, and all the high-end personal care products that were used in the facility. So by going in through the fitness room (I did a few quick exercises to validate my reason for being there), you could take advantage of many of the benefits of the spa without paying extra. So my wife and I enjoyed that opportunity, which was much better than cramming into the tiny shower in our room. I should mention that most of the time when we were on the boat, the boys did their own thing... I'm not sure what those things were, but they did not participate in any of the age-suggested activities (teen "clubs") so I guess they found their own fun.

We docked back in the US on Monday morning, and after dropping the rest of the family off at the airport (in bright sunshine), I drove north, eventually to encounter the storm which we had passed through on the open seas. That lasted for several hours (Georgia, South Carolina, and most of North Carolina) but fortunately let up as darkness fell, and the rest of the sixteen hour drive was uneventful, arriving back in PA at 3am. Sleep followed, and I spent the day on Tuesday unpacking and doing laundry while everyone else got back to their normal routines (I also picked up the dog from my sister-in-laws house... he seemed less than excited to see me).

So now I am back in MD for a few days... overall it was a good vacation (BTW, someone had turned in my phone to lost and found)... and it had a deeper effect on me than I thought it would... getting to spend time with the whole family (especially #1 Son before he heads off to college in a few months) was great, although it often made me sad that we don't get to do more of that.

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    So I just checked my weight and stats for the first time since I left for vacation... I'm up a half pound. I'll take that.

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I need to go hug my son! :cry:

:madpimp:

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Nice you got to have a drink with your son before he leaves for college.

Also good you got your phone back even though you didn't get pics snorkeling.

Only 1 pound after vacation is good

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice to read about your fine time with the family while away.

A half pound gain while on vacation is victory!

17. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Hello friends... it's the middle of May, and so far this spring, my attempts at getting into a fitness "groove" have been for naught. Likewise, my dedication to proper nutrition has been negligent, and I have not even checked my blood sugar for at least a month, if not longer.

BUT... M@ and I are trying to work out a golf outing next week, and hanging with my homeboy is usually a good motivator to get a plan in place.

So here's the deal... I've been thinking for several months about trying a triathlon this fall. Since I know how to run and how to ride a bike, I can probably get my capabilities for those two portions into decent shape by September. The swimming will be the hard part... I'm not good at it, and I really don't enjoy it. But I will have access to a pool starting Memorial Day weekend, and since the race I am considering is here in my home town, I can actually practice the open water swimming on the exact course (once I get proficient enough at swimming that I won't drown).

And here's the rub... I am taking on a second job for the summer/fall which will lock me in for set hours (8a-3p Tuesday-Friday, plus 8a-12n Saturday and Sunday) in addition to my current job (which I plan to cut back to three or four nights a week (3p-10p). So my ability to get to the pool will be limited (although I will have to drive Son #2 to and from work there for most of the summer). And most of the training plans I've seen are focused on the beginner "sprint" distance (and not the half-ironman I'd like to do), so I'm not certain exactly how I should set up my weekly schedule.

I'm thinking that most of my training (at least for the bike and run) will need to be done in the early morning hours. I actually am planning to commute to my new job on my bike (about four miles each way), and since it will be mostly outdoor labor, I can show up sweaty and change into work clothes (which I can leave there). This idea, however, may not work as well on the days when I have to transport my son to work, so depending on what his schedule might be, and given that I could probably lock in Saturday and Monday as swim days, it may all fall into place.

Then again, it might all fall apart... I have no idea how exhausted I will be from the toll of the 60+ hours I'll be working, and if I'll be able to get up early enough to get any decent training done. Also, I don't know what the schedule will do for my nutrition plans (I most likely won't be able to eat every few hours as I prefer). But I do know that with all this in addition to the (as yet unfinished) home renovation projects and the ongoing gardening/yard work for the wife (she did give me the go-ahead to hire someone to cut the lawn here), I know I'll be getting my share of activity, whether or not I do the training for the triathlon.

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    As a first step towards getting my shit together, I worked on figuring out how much time I actually have in the morning to get in a workout (or more accurately, how early I would have to get up in order to fit one in). Here's what I came up with:

8:00am - Arrive at work
    7:45am - Feed teh bunnehs / Leave for work
    7:30am - Eat breakfast / Take blood sugar reading
    7:15am - Prepare food for the day (cook and pack)
    7:00am - Shower / Get dressed / etc.
    6:00am - Exercise Time!!!
    5:45am - Coffee (also make Tea for the day) / Check e-mail etc.
    5:30am - Wake up / Take weight readings / etc.

So I have been gradually "resetting" my internal clock to wake up at 5:30... fortunately, that's also the time that the sun comes up these days, and since I sleep with the curtains and blinds open, that is helping. I am about fifteen minutes away from waking up naturally at that hour, so by Monday I should be right on it.

19. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :guitar:

20. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    MON 5/22, Day 1: 184 lbs, 22.5% bf

BIKE: 23 min, 5.75 mi, speed 15 mph (?), 57 degrees with steady rain

First day trying out the new schedule... I backed it up by an hour since I don't have to be at work until 9 (to do a twelve hour shift ).

Part of my scheduled hour was getting the bike out, putting air in the tires, doing a quick safety check, finding my cycling clothes, etc.

Of course, the weather had me reconsidering my plan every step of the way, but despite a dead battery in my cycling computer, I did it.

A simple out and back to the place where I am working my second job... I wanted to see how long it would take me to get there.

Using Map My Run, I calculated 5.75 miles round trip. Using the timer on my watch, I calculated 23 mins riding time round trip (no stops).

That gives me an average of 15 mph, which seems faster than it should be for that particular bike... my typical average is 12-13 mph.

And that's when I am in reasonable shape (which I'm not) and in good weather conditions (which they weren't). Insert grain of salt here.

OK... I only built five minutes into my schedule for a morning update here, and my time is up. Time to get on with what will be a long day.