1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2017

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2017.

1. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    What is it with coconut water? Why can't people just drink water? :confused:

Nice run. Nice eating. Nice attitude. :tucool:

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    185.2 lbs @ 24.2% BF (44.8 fat) / BS AVG 211.5

OK my blood sugar was back to a reasonable level this morning, so as I wrote last night, no need to worry. I'm going to finish out the week with no medication, and then start with the lowest possible dose next week to see how far the added chemistry pushes the numbers down.

Nutritionally, I'm also back on plan today... my next speed bump will obviously be the weekend in Ohio (I am now 99% committed to the trip). Since I'm going to be traveling overnight Friday-Saturday, I should be OK through breakfast with some packed food (hard boiled eggs, instant oatmeal, etc) once I get there. Once I'm at the Expo, there will be so much sampling of various protein-based products that I don't expect I will go hungry for the rest of the weekend, but I am going to pack a small cooler with my regular prepared meals (and something for Sunday morning pre-race) if I decide not to go out for dinner Saturday night. I'm leaving Sunday night open while I am on the road, however... that might end up being fast food, which I will track just like any other meal (with the bonus calories from the run, I will have some wiggle room. No decision about drinking yet... I am going to the after-party Saturday night, so maybe I'll have something in the room to pre-game, and then get one while I am there to carry around.

Since we are in a new month, I am setting some new goals... starting next week, I plan to try and do some kind of weight training twice per week (in addition to my three running sessions), and I have put that on my calendar. I'm figuring the motivation I will get from the Arnold this weekend will be a good kick start to make that happen. When I am in PA, I actually have access to a Planet Fitness (as a guest of my wife, which has a membership but rarely uses), so I am going to try and take advantage of that as much as possible. Other than that, there's no reason I can't do a little lifting here at the MD house... it's not as simple as having a gym to use (limited to a bench and dumbbells) but I know enough that I could put something together that will work with what I have.

#82 phillydude, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Well done Phil. :tucool:

4. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I think it's not so much coconut water instead regular water as it is coconut water instead of sports drinks. I've definitely noticed a difference in just drinking water on long runs vs. having a sports drink or coconut water for a mid-to-end water supplement. Just with today's "all natural, no franken-food" culture, something naturally full of electrolytes and calories to replenish with is more appealing to some that chemical-and-sugar-filled sports drinks.

Jaer
    doesn't really think one is better for him than another, so he usually loads up on Powerade, which he can get for $1 a bottle.

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    184.4 lbs @ 23.7% BF (43.6 fat) / BS AVG 186.25

Numbers all trended in the right direction, so it's a happy day. Extremely windy outside, so my planned five mile run will be challenging, especially since a good mile of it will be right along the Chesapeake Bay. Hopefully it will calm down before I head out later this afternoon.

I spent some time last night planning my trip to the Arnold... it looks like there will a few celebrities there that I haven't met before... Branch Warren is going to be at one of the booths (but I'm not sure how deep the line will be for that), but most exciting (to me at least) is that Franco Columbu has his own booth (promoting his line of supplements) so there is a good chance I will be able to see him. As far as meeting the Terminator... he will supposedly be at the party I've got tickets for on Saturday night (although I doubt he will be wandering around the room). Since I am going to the Sunday Seminar, I know I will at least be in the room with him (I've watched some of the previous ones on YouTube and they are actually pretty entertaining)... and supposedly there is a sign-up/raffle that you can enter at the party on Saturday to win a guaranteed photo op with him during the Sunday event. Hey... I won once already, right?

6. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Have a great trip.

7. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yikes, I'm not even looking forward to a walk outside today. :eek:

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah... maybe if I wear baggy clothes I can get a wind-assisted time bonus.

Forgot to mention that I am planning to observe the traditional dietary restrictions for Lent this year... which means no meat on Fridays (along with Ash Wednesday, which was yesterday). So I made some tilapia last night instead of my usual grilled chicken, and as a result, I had a few extra calories available in my budget, so (full disclosure) two cans of Natural Light FTW.

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Enjoy the road trip.

This weather system is large; we've got big gusts, the temperature is a solid 25 degrees less than yesterday, and we may get some snow tomorrow. :(

10. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    5.0 miles in 54.47 (10.58 pace) @ ??? avg HR

Well, that wasn't as bad as it could have been. Since I was choosing my own route, I chose to run with the breeze at my back on the long return leg of the loop, and except for the stretch at the beach where there was no protection at all and the wind was howling across the bay, it really didn't affect me much at all. Of course, I was deliberately running at a slower pace (more like a jog), but my only goal was to get the miles in, not to break any land speed records. Craig Breedlove can breathe easier now.

(edit: I had to look it up, but he's apparently still alive and will be 80 in a few weeks. I hope I didn't jinx him.)

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice run Phil.

Wow, I haven't heard Breedlove's name in years. I'm sure he's not worried and I hope you didn't jinx him, but let's not forget he was essentially on a rocket with wheels while you were in running shoes. :lol:

12. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Nice run.

A picture with Conan (my first memory of him) would be cool.

#92 macdiver, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    183 lbs @ 23.8% BF (43.5 fat) / BS AVG 162.5

Busy day... have to pack running gear, clothes for the expo, clothes for not at the expo, video equipment, food and beverages, and misc stuff.

14. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have an awesome trip, Philly! :spaz:

I'll join you in 2019. :kickrock:

15. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Enjoy the Arnold! Wish I could have been there with you.

16. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    That time that Franco Columbu punched me in the face...

Nyah... We're good.

IROC-Z likes this.
  17. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :lol:

Franco's still lookin' strong! :nod:

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Arnold Classic 5k (Columbus Ohio) 29.25 (9.28 pace) 238th out of 450

Yep... smoked it. :madpimp:

#98 phillydude, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    IROC-Z likes this.
  19. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    183 lbs @ 22.7% BF (41.5 fat) / BS AVG 232.3

OK... just a brief wrap-up of my weekly numbers... I will get into the Arnold later today.

My initial goal was to be 184 @ 23% today... so I got that.
    My revised goal was to be an average of 185.5 @ 23.5% for the week.
    My actual results were 184.9 @ 23.8%... so I was close there.

My blood sugar goal remains to be an average of 175 with as little medication as possible.
    My weekly blood sugar average was 194.3, down from 227.3 last week, with no meds. I'll take that.

My blood sugar was higher than average on both days I was in Columbus, especially yesterday (see above). I'm guessing that, despite my attempt to eat well while I was on the road, the disruption of my schedule (lack of sleep, samples of various protein-based snack foods, and a couple protein-based energy drinks) threw things out of whack. Full disclosure: I also had about four shots of Fireball on Saturday night, followed by six White Castle sliders (read: cheat meal). My sugar was even high after the 5k... my lowest readings are generally right after exercise, so something was definitely off.

With that said, I know my average would have been lower had it not been for those two days, and I'm confident that I can continue to make progress toward that goal (and my others) this week. In fact, while I am going to fill my prescription today, I'm not going to start taking any until my blood sugar levels "plateau" and I can't push the numbers any lower through nutrition and exercise alone.

#99 phillydude, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  20. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Arnold Classic 5k (Columbus Ohio) 29.25 (9.28 pace) 238th out of 450

Nice results, and that is with minimal training.