1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2017

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2017.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    SAT 6/24, Day 34: 178.0 lbs, 20.6% bf (6/23 1711 cal, 31% p / 14% c / 55% f, 145.67 bs avg)

SUN 6/25, Day 35: 175.0 lbs, 19.4%bf (6/24 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)

MON 6/26, Day 36: 176.0 lbs, 20.0% bf (6/25 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)
    BIKE: 30.30 min, 6.0 mi @ 10.5 mph (112 HR) with Son #2

TUE 6/27, Day 37: 176.8 lbs, 20.2% bf (6/26 nutrition not tracked, bs average 144)
    GOLF: 18 holes (riding) with the boss, followed by wings and Long Islands

WED 6/28, Day 38: 172.6 lbs, 19.9% bf (6/27 nutrition not tracked, bs average 149.5)
    RUN: 32.19 min, 3.03 mi @ 10.39mi (117 HR)

#201 phillydude, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    THURS 6/29, Day 39: 172.6 lbs, 20.1% bf (6/28 nutrition not tracked, bs average 146)

I found the spreadsheet where I kept a record of the races I have run, and found that I hadn't updated it since 2014. So I spent a few enjoyable hours going back through my 2015 and 2016 journals to find the results I was missing. Boy... it's funny to see all the ups and downs.

One thing that jumped out at me as I caught up this year. On Feb 20 I ran three miles in 32.14. Last night I ran three miles in 32.19. Difference was on the first run my HR was 147, and on the second it was 117. Nice to know my heart is working easier now that I'm not (so) fat.

#202 phillydude, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    FRI 6/30, Day 40: 171.8 lbs, 19.7% bf (6/27 nutrition not tracked, bs average 149.5)

SAT 7/1, Day 41: 173.0 lbs, 19.7% bf (6/28 nutrition not tracked, bs average 126.6)
    BIKE: 27.51 min, 5.9 mi @ 12.5 mph (130 HR)

SUN 7/2, Day 42: 173.2 lbs, 19.9% bf (6/29 nutrition not tracked, bs average 114.25)

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    So I mentioned that my goal was to be under 175 lbs and 20% BF by the Fourth of July.

My averages for the past week were 173.7 lbs and 19.9% BF, so I'm going to call that a win.

So far in this program (six weeks), I have lost 10.3 lbs and 2.6% BF, which is also a win.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Even using new math 173.7 is less than 175 and 19.9 is less than 20.

:claphigh:

Seltzer likes this.
  6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Well done Mr. Dude!

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    MON 7/3, Day 43: 174.4 lbs, 20.2% bf (7/2 nutrition not tracked, bs average 114.25)

TUES 7/4, Day 44: 174.6 lbs, 20.3% bf (7/3 nutrition not tracked, bs average 142.50)

WED 7/5, Day 45: 173.2 lbs, 19.4% bf (7/4 nutrition not tracked, bs average not tracked)

Well, I made it through the holiday weekend without any major mishaps. In addition to working like 40 hours over the five day weekend, I spent some quality time with my family (including #1 Son, who showed up with a buddy of his on Sunday afternoon and stayed through Tuesday afternoon, and drank all my beer (again) and finished off all the Fireball as well), and I managed to get the new boat out yesterday for a short ride with my wife, and then a longer ride by myself. In fact, I took it all the way "around the horn" into the Chesapeake and then into the harbor, pulled up to my favorite local bar (Harbor Shack), got a Long Island and listened to the band for a couple songs, and then made it back just before a thunderstorm rolled across the bay. It took me 35 minutes each way, which isn't necessarily fast, but when the journey is the the biggest part of the adventure, who needs fast?

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    THURS 7/6, Day 46: 175.4 lbs, 20.2% bf (7/5 nutrition not tracked, bs average 134)

I feel like I am struggling this week for a few reasons. I started "full time" at my new job (in addition to all the hours that the five day holiday weekend entailed at both jobs) and my schedule is off. Since I am working more, I am sleeping more, and haven't been able to get up and exercise like I wanted to. Then, since I am not doing that, I haven't been eating breakfast, which means my first meal isn't until after noon at the earliest (and 2-3pm at the latest).

That means I am really hungry by the time I get done everything for the day, so I'm going into "binge mode" at 9-10pm... still eating around maintenance calories, but still not eating according to plan (too many carbs, including some sugary/starchy ones). Plus I am too preoccupied with getting some food in that I'm not doing my bodyweight work (which I typically do before bed).

Add in a basic lack of hydration (haven't gotten in the routine of how to make sure I drink enough when I am at my new job... I'm basically being fueled by coffee), and my numbers have been out of whack all week (not to mention the loose holiday nutrition on Monday and Tuesday).

Ah well... if I can maintain this week, I should be able to get a better grip on things in the next few days, when things will normalize (at least, the new normal) a bit... my son will be away for the weekend (through Wednesday of next week) so I won't have that distraction either. Focus...

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    FRI 7/7, Day 47: 176.0 lbs, 19.6% bf (7/6 nutrition not tracked, bs average 138.5)

SAT 7/8, Day 48: 175.2 lbs, 19.8% bf (7/7 nutrition not tracked, bs average 183.0)

SUN 7/9, Day 49: 172.2 lbs, 19.6% bf (7/8 nutrition not tracked, bs average 171.5)

MON 7/10, Day 50: 171.8 lbs, 20.2% bf (7/9 nutrition not tracked, bs average 116.5)

OK, I made it through last week with an average weight of 174.4 and average bf% of 19.8... as I predicted, it was a week where nothing lost, nothing gained, and given the holiday that was part of it, I'm fine with that, especially in light of a few other things that happened.

First (and the biggest point of pride)... Over the weekend I inherited a bag of my 18-year-old son's clothes, mostly things that he decided he didn't want to take to college. There were ten pairs of pants (the ones he wore for school over the past two years)... five pairs each of the same brand, style, and size. I tried them on, and they both fit perfectly... and they are a 32" waist, slim fit style. So there you have it... I have the same size waist as a typical eighteen year old, and at 32" I'm back to wearing the same size pants I did when I got married twenty years ago.

Also, I had a visit from a medical professional today, as I am trying to get some life insurance (something I am ashamed to say I have not had for several years due to financial issues). Of course, the big thing that will affect that is the diabetes, but I am confident that with my recent dedication to nutrition and exercise, my blood sugar (A1C) results will be low enough that I won't get penalized too badly on my rates (in fact, the examiner said that given the low dose of Metformin I am taking, it probably won't be an issue at all).

But just as importantly, he confirmed that my blood pressure is excellent (100 / 70), and the fact that I am 52 years old and only take one prescription medication was indeed an indicator that I am in overall excellent health, given the number of people he sees each week and the number of meds he typically has to document for each person. The only glitch in the system was in his measurement of my height. He had me at 69"... in the past, I have always been told that I am at least 70", and if I recall, 70.5" or 71" was closer to where I believed I was.

So either I am shrinking because of old age, some kind of skeletal dysfunction, or the impact of the past ten years of running... or he was wrong. In any case, that number would impact all of the calculations that the various devices interpret to determine the data that I record. Is it the end of the world? Absolutely not. Is it something I am going to have checked when I visit my doctor(s) over the next few weeks? Absolutely.

10. macdiver

Bronze Member

A week of not tracking and you held steady is a win

11. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Your numbers are looking might fine.

Regarding height, I used to be dead on six feet, but the last few times I've been to my doctor I'm a little shy of that. On the other side of the coin, after wifey started practicing yoga on a regular basis she gained almost half an inch. Don't think for a second that a week doesn't go by that I'm reminded that she's growing and I'm shrinking and she extrapolates to the point where she's going to be taller than me. :rolleyes: For the record I still have eight inches on her.

Okay, I know where the eight inch comment is going to go. :lol:

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

I read that the average person shrinks approximately 1 inch every 16 years after age 40.

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    No... honest... the water in the shower was very cold.

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    TUES 7/11, Day 51: 171.0 lbs, 19.8% bf (7/10 nutrition not tracked, bs average 125.5)
    RUN: 33.37 min, 3.01 mi @ 11.09 pace (138 HR)

WED 7/12, Day 52: 171.6 lbs, 18.4% bf (7/11 nutrition not tracked, bs average 123.67)

THURS 7/13, Day 53: 172.6 lbs, 19.8% bf (7/12 nutrition not tracked, bs average 121.33)

FRI 7/14, Day 54: 173.8 lbs, 20.6% bf (7/13 nutrition not tracked, bs average 135.5)

SAT 7/15, Day 55: 174.6 lbs, 19.5% bf (7/14 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)

SUN 7/16, Day 56: 172.4 lbs, 19.4% bf (7/15 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)

Weekly Progress: down 1.9 lbs and .02% BF (174.4 @ 19.8% to 172.5 @ 19.6%)

* when I write that my nutrition was not tracked, it means that I did not record everything in LoseIt.
    It doesn't necessarily mean that I didn't eat "clean" or maintain my keto-style nutrition plan.

** except for Thursday night, when I had nachos and beers.

15. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Hmph... I was very tired when I got home from work tonight (I have to say that working outdoors doing physical labor in the heat and humidity of the past two weeks has been taxing, but not altogether unpleasant, given the surroundings and my general enjoyment of the tasks), so I took a short 1/2 hour nap after I ate dinner. Then I got up to teach my diabetes class, and when I got home I wasn't feeling well for some reason, so I got back on the couch and slept until midnight.

Now I am wide awake, which doesn't bode well for my sleep pattern for the weekend, which is a problem because in addition to working both jobs on Friday (which by now is today), we have a wedding at the inn on Saturday, which means a 16 hour day for me (8-1 for set-up, and then 2-12 for the event), followed by 8-12 on Sunday (clean up) and then my regular Sunday night shift at the store. BUT... dear wife will be on vacation next week and here with me, so I have planned some time off to spend with her. Also, Son #2 will be back from his vacation week (which he spent in PA catching up with friends), and #1 Son will be making an appearance to work the wedding with me. Not sure how long he will stay... he had mentioned leaving afterwards to go to visit his girlfriend, but my wife texted me that they broke up earlier this week.

Speaking of #1 Son... he's spent the summer working at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (where my wife works). His job was supposed to be as a lab intern, but he was assigned to shadow a thoracic surgeon, so he has been splitting his time between the lab and the OR. Yes, that's right, my 18-year-old son is scrubbing in for surgery several times a week, and has been involved (in a very peripheral way, basically monitoring equipment readouts) in several "cases" (as he refers to them) which involved opening up someone's chest (think radial saw and those ratcheting metal rib-cage retractors). In any event, it's a lot of responsibility for a kid just out of high school, but he's really enjoying the role, and it has opened his mind toward pursuing a medical degree... evidently he's been hanging out with some of the surgery interns, who to be honest, are only a few years older than he is. Anyway, he leaves for college in five weeks, so that's what's next.

As for me... I have not been able to get into the groove of exercising at all with the new job... between the physical nature of what I'm doing, and the aforementioned heat, and the increased number of working hours, there's just hasn't been the time or the inclination. At least I'm not signed up to run a fall marathon, like everyone else here seems to be (I did catch up on journals from Father's Day forward just now). My thought of doing the triathlon has faded (mostly because of my swimming fails), and I still haven't gotten my racing bike road-worthy as I had planned... hell, I need new running shoes and haven't even had time to shop for them. Maybe I will do some online research when I finish this post...

Nutritionally, I'm still not 100% back on plan, but I have been doing better and have seen a corresponding drop in my weight (back to where I was two weeks ago), but not any significant loss in body fat. According to Tom Venuto, this means that I am probably not eating enough... given that I have gone from a job where I stood in one place in an air conditioned room to one where I am not only moving around but performing various physical tasks, I am guessing that I am burning as many additional calories per day as I did when I was running three miles or cycling for an hour. Trouble is that LoseIt doesn't automatically adjust for daily activities like it does when you record an exercise. To be honest, I am feeling very restricted when I try to hit my 1650 calorie goal, and as a result there have been evenings where I have definitely over-eaten as a result of not getting enough fuel during the day. Also, in doing more research into the ketogenic diet, I learned that I am probably eating too much protein to be truly in ketosis, and I know that the almost-daily snack I've been indulging (even something as simple as eating a few blackberries as I pick them from the gardens) is keeping me from reaching that goal.

Enough rambling for now... I'm going to try and force myself to get a few more hours of sleep before the sun comes up!

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Gotta admit I was surprised when I saw the time stamp of your post.

That's a wonderful opportunity for your son and even better if it helps him decide what direction of studies he wants to pursue. Enjoy your time with him and the rest of the family this upcoming week.

Your new schedule is quite jam packed and physically active so it's easy to see how finding the time and motivation to train for a tri is difficult and the weather only makes it worse.

Hope you got the needed shut eye! :-)

17. macdiver

Bronze Member

With a physical job you don't need to work out. I workout because I sit (or stand) are a desk all day.

There is an easy answer to your running shoe problem. ,...........:D