1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2017

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2017.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks... as with most accomplishments, it didn't last, but the next goal is to record that kind of number for the weekly average.

Thanks... the stone was delivered yesterday, and I have my doubts that I ordered enough (or more exactly, I think I dug the trench too deep). I may fill it back in halfway before I put the barrier layer in. But today (as with yesterday) it's way too hot.

2. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    TUE 6/13, Day 23: 179.2 lbs, 20.2% bf (6/12 1600 cal, 35% p / 7% c / 58% f, 127.67 bs avg)

RUN: 33.08 min, 3.01 mi @ 11.01mi (137 HR)

GOLF: 9 holes (riding) with Son #2, followed by wings and beers

3. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    WED 6/14, Day 24: 178.6 lbs, 20.0% bf (6/13 nutrition not tracked, 124 bs avg)

4. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

pd, F&M is a great school and i'm sure you're very proud he got in and scored funding. its also not a bad location for a delco/maryland lifestyle.:tu:

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    THURS 6/15, Day 25: 178.6 lbs, 20.4% bf (6/14 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)

RUN: 34.04 min, 3.05 mi @ 11.09mi (132 HR)

6. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Paddy... and welcome back (I assume you've been gone... I don't have access to the downstairs lounge anymore, so I'm not sure if you've been posting much these days). We're all very happy and excited for the next chapter in his life. BTW... we found out yesterday that he got a small scholarship from the local Knights of Columbus here in MD... along with the one of the same amount he got from my Elks Lodge, that's an extra little bump towards the bill (which we haven't opened yet)... :scared:

In other news, I forgot to mention that I tried swimming on Wednesday. I say tried because in my mind it was a total fail. I swam one length of the pool (from one end to the other) at the country club with what might be called a "freestyle" stroke (if it was executed correctly)... you know, the whole "turning your head to breathe" thing with a flutter kick. I took a fifteen second rest, and then swam back to the other end with a "breast" stroke, using a frog kick and keeping my head out of the water completely. The time difference between the two was about four seconds. I rested for about a minute (playing with my goggles and my watch) and then tried to swim a freestyle lap (up and back without stopping). Well, by the time I made the turn at the far wall I was pretty winded, and halfway back I mistimed the "headturn / breath" thing and inhaled a mouthful of water. Fortunately, I was in the shallower end of the pool at this point, so I was able to sputter back to safety.

So that happened... I'm not ready to give up on it yet, and I'm going to talk to the staff there about maybe getting a lesson. My gut is telling me that if I can practice the breast stroke I'm going to feel more comfortable with that than the freestyle, even if it is ultimately slower. My goal here is to finish the swim, not win it. But we'll see...

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    FRI 6/16, Day 26: 177.8 lbs, 20.4% bf (6/15 1600 cal, 35% p / 7% c / 58% f, 127.67 bs avg)

BIKE: 59.55 min, 13.1 mi @ 13.1 mph (127 HR)

OK, so that was a nice hour on the bike... and I'm off to work on the path project. Have a great day!

#187 phillydude, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

The swim portion was the reason I never signed up for the tri last year. Look into the Total Immersion methods. It was helping me last year. My problem was getting to the pool more than once in a while.

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    SAT 6/17, Day 27: 177.4 lbs, 20.8% bf (6/16 nutrition not tracked, bs not tracked)

10. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I spoke to the head lifeguard at the country club pool (who is a swim coach at Washington College as well)... she's willing to work with me.

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    SUN 6/18, Day 28: 177.6 lbs, 19.9% bf (6/17 nutrition not tracked, 150 bs)

Happy Father's Day!

12. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    MON 6/19, Day 29: 177.6 lbs, 20.3% bf (6/18 nutrition not tracked, 129.67 bs)

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    TUE 6/20, Day 30: 178.4 lbs, 19.9% bf (6/19 1648 cal, 32% p / 10% c / 58% f, 121.33 bs avg)

RUN: 34.52 min, 3.06 mi @ 11.23mi (126 HR)

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    WED 6/21, Day 31: 176.2 lbs, 20.2% bf (6/20 2056 cal, 30.5% p / 7% c / 62.5% f, 123 bs avg)

15. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    THURS 6/22, Day 32: 176.0 lbs, 20.2% bf (6/21 nutrition not tracked, 134.33 bs avg)

OK... going to try and do a brain dump here, but keep it somewhat organized.

Nutrition: Far too many "not tracked" days in the past two weeks. While I am still making progress (or at least not backsliding) I've been pretty loose with my intake (while trying to be mindful of keeping my carbs down). Part of this is due to Son #2 moving down here for the summer, which has meant that I need to keep food in the house for him (and as a result, I have more options when I want to "cheat")... and part of it is the summertime lifestyle, which involves attempts to "relax" that usually involve food (more on that later). Anyway, I have a fridge FULL of provisions right now (including a lot that needs to be meal prepped) so right after I finish this post, I'm off to the kitchen.

Activity: I'm doing OK with the running (although my past few outings have been progressively slower), but I haven't gotten on the bike for a little while. The reason for that has been time... it takes twice as long to burn the same amount of calories as it does when I run, and finding an hour (which means stealing that from my sleep) is harder than squeezing in thirty minutes. I've also been trying to find a set of aero bars on eBay for my racing bike, and my sister-in-law said she was getting me a Performance Bike Shop gift card for Father's Day, so I'm sure that some new gear will spark my motivation to ride. I tried swimming again yesterday, and managed to do one lap (two lengths) of freestyle and one lap of breaststroke back-to-back, but I still was very uncomfortable in the water (surprisingly, my legs were the weak point). So I am still unsure about how that fits in with my long-term plans.

Progress: Since I just passed the thirty-day mark, my update is as follows: I've lost a total of around seven pounds, and as of this morning I am one pound away from my initial goal of seeing 175 on the scale. My body fat has dropped about 2.5%, but I've only lost about 2.5lbs of lean mass in the process. The real indicator is in my clothing... I bought two brand new pairs of LL Bean 34" waist khaki pants yesterday, and I can slide them down over my hips without unbuttoning them (not "falling off" but still loose). I had to throw away my "daily wear" belt, as I punched another hole in it the other day (the second this month) and it had gotten too long after the buckle and was flopping around. Fortunately, Son #2 bought me a new one for Father's Day (a Vineyard Vines with embroidered Maryland crabs on it FTW), which was timely and appreciated. I also bought a few new Lacoste polo shirts recently, and the size 7's (an American "large") look baggy, while the 5's (medium) fit nicely.

Lifestyle: With working about 50 hours a week at job #1 (six days, with some being twelve hours) and another 5-7 hours at job #2 (Sat-Sun), I've been struggling to fit in my exercise and my house projects into the schedule at the expense of sleep. I'm focusing on getting some outdoor stuff finished before the July 4th holiday weekend (which is when my schedule will change and I will be working 35-40 hours at job #2 and another 25-30 at job #1), and then moving indoors to work on the cottage again for the rest of the summer. In addition to the path (which is half finished... I was waiting for some rain - which we finally got this week - to soften up the ground so I can start excavating the rest), I've been trimming trees and cutting them up for firewood, addressing some structural issues with my deck, and doing a few patio projects (including the outdoor movie theatre), as well as trying to clean out some of the junk that has accumulated inside the house as I find a few minutes to do so. Still on the list is to get my new boat into the water...

Anyway, as a result of all this work, I've been pretty stressed in a different way that I can say that I ever have... I'm finding it hard to relax (as indicated above). For example, when my wife was here last weekend, on Saturday she asked if we could go to the Country Club and hang out at the pool. Usually this isn't a problem for me, but this time I was very agitated, as I knew there were several things I could have been doing with that "free time" that would have been more productive than staring into space and doing nothing while she read the paper and had a tuna sandwich. It actually caused an argument between us, as she could tell that I wasn't happy being inactive, and she was worried that I couldn't just chill out. The next day, she asked what I wanted to do (it being Father's Day and all) and I found that working on some of the smaller projects on my list was the answer... it was far more satisfying to cross those off than just sitting around. Should I be worried about this?

16. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Wish I had a good answer for you. I don't. There are lots of moving parts and maybe there is a difference in priorities and perception. While you place a high priority on getting tasks done, especially before your work load increases, thus viewing time at the pool as "staring into space and doing nothing" wifey may view the downtime there as time spent relaxing with her hubby. Maybe because she doesn't know the time needed for the projects still ahead of you or even if she does, it's may not be as important to her to have such things completed by a certain date at the expense of not spending time with the family.

So there you have it; a whole paragraph that does virtually nothing to address your question.

17. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    FRI 6/23, Day 33: stats not tracked (6/22 1663 cal, 34.5% p / 8.5% c / 57% f, 140 bs avg)

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for your (non)input. :P

Working crazy hours this weekend, so not going to be much time to "relax" anyway. #1 Son is on his way down to work with me at the Inn tonight (big wedding) so it'll be nice to spend some time with him, even if it's just for a few hours.

19. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

When there is a lot of work to do it isn't unusual for people not to be able to relax and do nothing