1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2017

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 6, 2017.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, another year, another journal.

My plan for the year is to complete a twelve week Body Beast program before I go to Florida for vacation (leaving on Easter Sunday), which means I need to start around the 15th. Along with that, I plan to train for a marathon in mid-April, giving myself eight weeks to get ready.

After that, I'm hoping to run a longer race in November, but I'm not committing to that until I see how the marathon goes. And of course, to make an effort to hang out (and possibly run) with my JSF friends somewhere along the way.

In other areas of my life, #1 Son will soon be deciding on where he will attend college in the fall. So that's a big thing, not only for him, but also for me, as there will probably be a need to earn more money to pay for it, which will mean a change from my current "semi-retired" lifestyle.

I'm planning to stay in MD to make that happen, unless things fall apart, which will mean relocating to find employment at a level which will finance the tuition/room/board/etc.. I'm amazed at how much the latter costs... almost $10k for lodging, which is a shared room for about eight months of the year.

2. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    One of the new things I will be doing this year is getting certified as a Lifestyle Coach through the National Diabetes Prevention Program, which is administered by the CDC. The focus of the program is to educate and motivate individuals who may be at risk for diabetes (most specifically, those diagnosed with pre-diabetes) about the value of weight loss and exercise in fighting the disease. My training sessions are being held next week in Baltimore, and then I will be leading the first group through the year-long program starting in early March. I think it's going to be a great educational experience for me (and even more for those who will participate in the program) and something that will play to my strengths (and serve as additional motivation to lead by example). If you want to learn more about the program, a pretty good synopsis is available here: Diabetes Training and Technical Assistance Center... the third module, National Diabetes Prevention Program, sums it up well.

Since one of the tenets of the program is to increase physical activity, I'm thinking that I may "formalize" the program I am going to write for my friend who wants to run the half-marathon in the fall and offer it to anyone who is interested in participating as a group activity. Since I plan on starting her from literally the first step (since she has no experience with running) it should be something that anyone can do, no matter their current health. I'm thinking I will marry the Couch-to 5k program to something like Higdon's beginner half-marathon program. More on that later...

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

I wish you well in your latest worthwhile venture.

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Paul. In the interim between posts, I worked out the program. Couch to 5k is nine weeks, and Higdon is twelve weeks. I have twenty-six weeks to work with, however, so I was able to lengthen the overall program to provide a more gradual ramp-up to the HM distance.

For the Cto5K, I actually ramped it up to get to five miles (instead of 3.1) at the end of the ninth week, as the timing (based on a May 1 start) lines up with the July 4th weekend, which is when our town has its five mile(ish) race, so the participants have another goal to shoot for. I think this will be a good incentive, as it would be hard for a beginner to focus on a race six months away without any reward somewhere along the way. And even if the participants can't hack the extra workload at the beginning of the program, if they get to 3.1 miles of running after nine weeks, they would certainly be in shape to walk the extra two and finish.

For the back end, I expanded Higdon's plan to be less aggressive (even though it was the Level 1 Beginner program) to give the participants more time to prepare for the local race on Halloween weekend that I mentioned previously. One of the things that I like is that, based on a twelve-minute mile, the Cto5k workouts are less than an hour, three times a week, which is 180 minutes (max) per week, which is close enough to the NDPP goal of a minimum of 150 minutes per week. The Higdon portion adds a fourth day to the week, but the first half of the program doesn't have a workout which is longer than an hour, and by the time it goes longer, I'm expecting they will be "hooked" on the program that they will be ready to do it.

I also noticed that Higdon has programs for walking a 10k (eight weeks) and walking a HM (twelve weeks), so if I find I need to create a program for people who don't want to run at all (or can't run for some reason), I could also adapt my existing program to make that happen. (EDIT: ... and that's done).

#4 phillydude, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I got back from the training sessions for the Diabetes Prevention Program last night, and I was not only very energized by the materials and the educational aspect, but came away feeling very confident that I will be a good instructor and able to help a lot of people make lifestyle changes in regards to their weight, activity level, and food intake that will pay dividends in my community. We're planning to start the year-long program in early March.

In other news (and on a shorter timeline), I'll be starting my twelve-week "pre-vacation" program on Monday. I've been tracking my weight and body fat for the past three weeks (with no significant changes in either my lifestyle or my results), so I have a very solid "starting point" piece of data to work from as I track my progress. Of course, I'll be using JSF as the primary public method to document my progress, but I will also be using video and photos for my own record keeping.

Finally, I dropped my membership in the wine club today... the shipment I was promised to receive before Christmas didn't arrive until the following week, which was disappointing as my wife planned to use some of it as holiday gifts for her employees. Once I confirmed that I had received my frequent flyer mile credit for that order (the primary reason I joined was to build up my miles in hopes of using some of that balance towards the vacation flights for the family), it was goodbye to that enrollment.

6. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Is the Diabetes program you are leading through a community center or gym? Or is this a group you are starting? Either way it is good to see you finding ways to expand your health and lifestye practice.

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm actually doing it under the auspices of the Kent County (MD) Department of Health. The program itself was developed by the National Center for Disease Control (CDC). We'll be having our classes at my town's municipal building.

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I know I said that Monday was day one, but that didn't happen, so today was it. Nutrition was clean and mostly on plan, with the exception of not getting all the meals in because of poor preparation on my part. I am doing 2400 calories a day, 50p/30c/20f macros. It's a LOT of food, but actually right around maintenance for me... but since I've probably been eating twice that (in crappy food) for months now, I'm sure it will start moving the data in the right direction. I also finished (weakly) the first workout on the Body Beast plan. I had trouble with the close grip pushups and the decline pushups, and the weights I was using were much less than I could move just a year ago, but that was to be expected. So there we have it... .

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

P'dude, it's a start. :tucool:

10. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

One day, when you have an opportunity, please list a day of what makes up 2,400 calories in a day. You said it is a lot, that is exactly 75% of what I have been eating so far in January (3,200 a day), and I don't find that a lot. I might get some ideas.

Starting is the hard part. Good luck.

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

To echo Shamie, I don't find 2400 calories a lot. Maybe if it was all salad and stuff but a sleeve of the thin mint chocolate cookies sold by the evil girl scouts just makes me want the second sleeve in the box.

Day 1 does not have to be a Monday. I think I got that from you

12. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:

13. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    That re-focus has helped me so far this year. I've decided it's bodyweight & bodyfat and everything else can fall by the wayside. I'm lifting to preserve muscle during the cut, but it's a focused cut. I don't give a damn about anything else. If the weights get too heavy, I deload. If cardio is challenging, I back off. I spend time saved in the kitchen. This shit's gonna work.

Jaer likes this.
  14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Words to live by. And on that note, I'm going snowboarding.

15. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    ...and I'm back. A most excellent day on the mountain with #1 Son... we haven't "hung out" for a while, and while he's a typical teen (nose to the phone) we still had snippets of conversation. Of course, the old man can still hang with the young ones on the slopes, although I did fall getting off the lift and tweaked my hip... not sure if it's going to be a bruise, or if it's muscular, or skeletal, but in any event, I know I'll be feeling it for the rest of the weekend.

16. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Another reason I'm glad to have given up the board for two planks. It's a more civilized approach, Philly, for men of our advanced age. Where did you guys go? Roundtop?

17. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    The civilized approach is to drop the kids off and head to the bar, sit by the fireplace, and watch from the window. :nod:

I saw a lot more painful looking crashes on the actual slopes among skiers than snowboarders, so I'm going to beg to differ with you on that one. Seeing the knees of the two-plankers twisting in obtuse angles freaks me out. I feel 50% better today, so I'm sure by Monday any residual side effects of the hard landing will be forgotten.

We went to the Poconos, Jack Frost to be specific. One of the Philly radio stations was having a promotional day, so lift tickets were less than $10 each. As my son said, when you spend more for lunch in the lodge than you did for your lift ticket, it's a good day LOL.

Conditions were pretty decent considering they haven't had much real snow, and being a weekday, crowds were light (even with the radio promo), so we never waited in a lift line, and there were a few runs where we never saw another person from top to bottom. We're planning another trip there (this time on a Saturday) for February, when I'm sure it will be more crowded (my wife bought both of us a "good anytime" lift ticket on Black Friday when they were super-cheap).

Did you get your season pass to Roundtop this year?

18. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :madpimp:

I felt the same way every single time I got on a lift with one foot strapped into a board. I had visions of spiral fractures every time I had to get off the lift. At least ski bindings release when you crash (theoretically - I have had a couple of spectacular crashes in which they were the first things to go.)

Nope. I doubt either of us will be able to get out to the slopes at all this winter. :cry:

19. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    189.8 lbs
    25.2% BF

Well, it's been two weeks since I "started" my twelve week vacation.-prep program, and I haven't done fuck. Still eating like crap, no weight training or cardio at all, a disregard (or even disdain) towards my blood sugar levels, and a generally shit attitude towards my health and well-being. I will admit that I have been under a TON of stress for the past few weeks, but that's not an excuse, as we know that exercise and proper nutrition is beneficial when it comes to stress.

With that said, I am scheduled to start running this week, so with that on the horizon, and a week of the "pushup challenge" in the books (yes, the same effort to get to 100 pushups, which I still haven't ever completed... I started at 25 this time, however, as I could comfortably do that on the first day), I'm going to make more of an effort, starting today.

I have been doing some research into the "intermittent fasting" thing, and based on the article I read in Woman's World, you can lose a lot of weight (and inches off your waist) by not eating once in a while. So I think I'm going to try PUTTING DOWN THE FUCKING FORK. After all, I don't have to worry about losing muscle, since I don't really have any right now.

I think I'm going to try two days a week with a complete fast... from 8pm the night before to 8am the day after. On the other days, I'm going to try and between 1750 calories and 1900 calories, with one "refeed" day per week (two meals). I came up with those numbers for a couple reasons... according to LoseIt, if I consume 1750 calories per day, I should lose 1.5lbs a week, which would take me from 190lbs (where I am today) to 175lbs on Easter Sunday, which when I will leave for vacation. 1750 is also the number that I come up with for my BMR... the amount of calories I would burn if I did absolutely nothing all day (trust me, I'm not far from that activity level right now). 1900 is the number I would need to hit one pound of weight loss per week according to the Harris-Benedict formula, using the "lightly active" rating.

Based on my recent false starts, I know that a typical day of eating, using my "go-to" meals, yields about 1750 calories, and puts me where I want to be nutritionally (at least 200g protein, no more than 125g carbs, with at least 25g fiber and no more than 50g total sugars). On the days I need to get to 1900 (which will probably be my running days), I'll probably try and get that from additional "green" carbs. So the way it looks... since I will be running Sun (long), Mon (short), Wed (med), Fri (med), I'll take the refeed day on Saturday (to carb up before the long run), the higher intake on the medium running days (Wed and Fri) and fasting days on Monday and Thursday. Or at least that's the theory and the plan... I'm fasting today, which is a start.

#19 phillydude, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  20. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017
    Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    :dance:

:blank:

I seem to remember you having success with intermittent fasting, or at least having tried it in the past. :confused: