1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2016

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 1, 2016.

1. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Merry Christmas, Pdude

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Mac.

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Merry Christmas Phil!

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Paul.

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Another holiday come and gone. While we lost another family member this year, the table was still full as my mother was able to join us... the first time I've celebrated Christmas Day with her in 28 years, and the first time ever for my wife and kids. So that made it a little better, but it was still a struggle on many fronts (see below).

I was planning on just doing a turkey (20lbs) and ravioli (for the Italian side of the table) with potatoes (for the Irish side of the table). But the crabcakes I made for Thanksgiving dinner were such a hit (with the pescetarian side of the table) that they were requested, and #1 Son asked if I could make a ham (which I indulged, since this may be the last Christmas we spend together for a while, since he will off the college next fall and he might end up with a girlfriend and go to her house for the holidays and then become the boyfriend on THAT side of the table... but probably not).

Add in the appetizers: a full antipasta platter (for the Italians), a seven layer taco dip (for the Mexicans, who never showed up... thanks Mr. Trump), pigs in blankets (for #1 Son... see above), shrimp cocktail (for the pescetarians), and savory meatballs (for me), and all the traditional sides with dinner, and then dessert (an Italian pastry tray for the Italians, rice pudding for the pescetarians... I don't know why they can't eat cannoli and I didn't ask why, and an apple pie with eggnog ice cream for everyone who doesn't eat rice pudding or cannoli... I don't know anyone who doesn't, but it was nice to have anyway)... needless to say, with only eight people at the table, the refrigerator is BURSTING with leftovers.

But to backtrack a bit, my wife has not been feeling well for the past two weeks, and as a result she fell very behind on preparations for the big day... and when I got home, I found that no laundry had been done (it was just piled in baskets and scattered around the house), no house cleaning had been done (and given the regularly infrequent schedule of house cleaning that goes on since I don't really live here anymore, that's saying something), and she hadn't wrapped a single present. So as soon as I got to PA on Saturday, I sent her off to her room to wrap while I cleaned the entire house top to bottom (Son #2 did pitch in and cleaned the bathroom, for which I was glad) and finished all the laundry, all the while prepping as much food as I could for Sunday (I also had to make one trip out into the world for random provisions that I missed when I did all the shopping for dinner last week).

So between that, then doing all the cooking myself on Christmas, and finally doing all the cleanup (this is by design... I ask my wife to spend her time entertaining her family... and this year my mom... which keeps her and everyone else out of my way), I pretty much collapsed last night (as did my Ravens). Anyway, all that happened and now I'm getting ready to head back to MD this morning. At this point, it looks like both the boys have plans for New Years Eve, so my wife is planning to come down so we can have a "date night" at the country club (which is having a lovely four course dinner with live music for dancing), and then we'll make the trip back to PA together for the Mummers parade on New Years Day.

6. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Kudos for indulging everyone and doing so much work.

I hope your wife is feeling better very soon.

7. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Phillydude,
    The shell of cannoli's is usually fried in lard (pig fat). I have been thinking about the Lancaster race you listed, and while the idea of running in Lancaster appeals to me, it is too early for me (early April), the weather is still cold then, and snow is still possible. Also, it is a very small race, last year there were only 265 finishers. If I ran my pace of the NYC marathon, I would be 10th from last place. Hope your wife is feeling better, Happy belated Christmas, and Happy New Year.

#447 Shamie, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Cannoli shells cooked in lard... I did not know that, and I bet the pescetarians didn't either. Don't ask, don't tell.

I completely understand about the timing of the race and your concerns. I picked that race because 1) It's small... I need to finish in sub-five hours, and I am hoping that the fear of dropping off the back will push me to run faster. 2) It's early... if I am going to register for the race I am thinking about for the fall, I need that sub-five time to qualify, and more importantly, since registration for the fall race opens in early April and it usually sells out, I don't want to miss that window of opportunity if I can indeed qualify. 3) It's cheap... in fact, I found it by looking for the cheapest entry fees available, and combined with the proximity (I probably won't have to get a motel, provided I can do same-day bib pickup), it met most of my requirements. If I wasn't already committed to running the Castaway Cay 5k on the date of the marathon down at the Delaware beaches, I would have done that one instead, for sure...

9. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

Looks like a first rate holiday season for the P-Dude family!

10. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I'm on the fence about the Lancaster race. I will make the call in a Fe weeks once I see how my training is going and when a few non exercise spring things get scheduled

Happy New Years to you and your family.

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    No worries Mac... if you can make it, great... if not, we will meet again this year for certain.

One of my friends asked me last week if she could run a marathon in 2017. I told her that anything was possible, but given her physical condition (she's overweight and a smoker) I thought that a half-marathon would be a better goal. She's generally a person who gets excited quickly about trying new things, but has a lot of fears about her ability to follow through, so she needs a lot of support. I told her that she would need to dedicate at least twenty-four weeks to a program to get to thirteen miles (I honestly doubt she could run for one minute straight in her current condition), and we looked at the local HM that takes place on Halloween weekend as a goal, since it's relatively inexpensive (she's a single mom and doesn't make much) and would give her some "hometown" street cred. So the plan is to start her training just after Easter (when I get back from my vacation) and see how it goes from there. I can easily do her training runs with her while I continue to work towards my fall race (if I can get in).

12. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

That's a nice thing you're doing for your friend. I hope she accomplishes her goal.

Best wishes for a wonderful 2017, Phil, and I look forward to seeing you at some point during the year.

13. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

I might do some 5Ks this year, but I don't see a half or full mary in my 2017. However, if there is a meet-and-eat before any of the races, let me know!

Jaer
    does enjoy eating!

Seltzer likes this.