1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2016

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

Good luck, looking forward to the youtube channel. I like you have cut the cord, and watch way too much youtube.:)

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys... I was very happy when these showed up yesterday. #onestepcloser

I also have all my social media channels started... Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat. #lionstigersandbears

3. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

Sweet. I dig #1 and #4 best.

You know, in case you wanna know. :o

4. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

I agree with the smart gentleman above

5. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

:shifteyes:

:eek:

:cool:

6. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I've spent some time this weekend getting ready to start my fall bulking cycle. But in looking at my recent efforts, especially on the nutrition side, I realized that I've become very lax over the past month... and it shows in my physique. So before I get into it in earnest, I need to take action in a few areas... kind of a warmup program before the game starts.

First off, I decided not to hire a coach at this point in time. Financially, I can't justify the expense, and without access to a gym, I think that I would be undermining the process to some extent. So I dusted off the Body Beast dvds, brought my dumbbells and bench back to MD, and will be working out at home on my own. I have some good data from last winter in terms of nutrition so I can dial in my own plan, and I think I can make gains.

Since the Body Beast bulking program is divided into three phases (an intro segment for three weeks, and then a full-on heavy segment for six weeks, and then a conditioning segment for three weeks), I'm actually going to "cut" for the first phase... not a full on effort, but more a plan that puts me below maintenance, but will still be enough to fuel my workouts. Looking back at my summer program, about 1800 calories a day (with an hour of cardio a few days a week) was the "sweet spot" where I was losing fat without losing energy and feeling like crap.

I also am pretty sure that during the six week middle phase, I will add some kind of PED... nothing too extreme, but I think it's worth a try to see how my body reacts to that kind of supplementation. With that, I will drastically increase my caloric intake... starting around 3600 calories, and possibly going up from there. And with the way the timing falls, I'll be getting into the final phase around the holidays, and will cycle back off the supplemental enhancements during that time.

One tweak I am planning to the Body Beast program is to add a second six week heavy segment starting right after the New Year before starting to really cut. I'll add the supplements back in for that. From there, I will evaluate where I am to start my formal cut (around Valentine's Day), and reconsider hiring a coach... I think the money will be better spent at that point, as it's the accountability (and knowledge/feedback) during the caloric depletion that I think I really need.

Once again, there will probably be a basic PED involved (a different one than during the bulk) during this phase, but if I follow the Body Beast cutting program, I'll be able to get through phase one (three weeks) and two (five weeks) of that protocol before leaving for Spring Break and our planned vacation and cruise). Coming back after that, I'll have four weeks to finish the Body Beast cutting program, and then two weeks before my planned competition to really hone my physique for the stage. Again, if I don't bring in a coach during the cut, I know that it would be worth the money to hire one for this last sprint to the finish line.

But for now, I'm focused on getting back into a routine... now that September is over, it's time to clean up the diet, get back under the bar, and get to work.

7. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Forgot to mention that yesterday's workout was a set of weighted stair climbs... one flight each at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100lbs.

I also assembled one of those door-frame pullup bars... despite the fact I can't really do them. But I'll never learn how if I don't have the equipment to do so, and it was cheap enough (watch for an upcoming Bodybuilding on a Budget review) to invest, even if it collects dust.

8. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Are the weighted stair walks similar to a farmer's walk, meaning you're holding db's and going up and down the stairs?

9. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Yes... except that I was just going up the stairs, not down. Weights were for the total amount, so a pair of 20's, 25's etc up to 50's.

Basically, I was moving my shit from the car into the house. But I will admit to being winded and sweaty afterwards.

10. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Functional exercise.

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Just a quick update... I'll be starting my program on Monday, so expect more frequent postings as that gets underway.

My first video for Bodybuilding On A Budget is 99% finished... I am have one tech issue to resolve, so hopefully that will drop on Monday too.

In other news, I joined a wine club. I'm not a wine drinker, so this will be a new thing for me. Here's the first shipment:

2014 Knoll Haven Winery Cabernet Sauvignon (California)
    2015 Long Street Winery Sauvignon Blanc (California)
    2015 Fossil Canyon Winery Zinfandel (California)
    2015 Braxton Hill Winery "Reserve" Chardonnay (California)
    2015 El Persa Vino de la Tierra de Castilla Syrah (Spain)
    2015 Avito Delle Venezie Pinot Grigio (Italy)

I'm sure Mac will have some input on this... maybe Jaer (and others) will as well?

12. Shamie

Shamie Senior Member

How do I find it on youtube?

13. macdiver

Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with these wines but there are around 400 wineries in Napa alone. Looks like this club focuses on smaller producers which is a really really good thing. My recommendation is to go to the winery website and check the drinking window. Some of these may need to be put in the back of a closet for 3 to 5 years to be fantastic especially the Cabernet and syrah.

14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll post a link here, and then you can (if you would be so kind) subscribe so they will pop up in your feed as they are posted. I still haven't figured out how to fix the bug I'm encountering when saving the video, but I sent another tech support request this morning. I will try and post a new video every Thursday, so if I can't fix it by then I will remove the part that is causing the problem and let it go.

They sent me a card for each one with all kinds of information, which includes a "when to drink" guideline. All are labeled "now through 2018" EXCEPT the Cab says 2017 and the Syrah says 2019. Interesting that you would call those two out and they are the only ones that have a different guideline.

How should I be storing these. I am planning to keep them in a cool dark place, but should the whites be refrigerated until consumption, or should they be chilled only just shortly prior to drinking?

15. macdiver

Bronze Member

Interesting about the drinking windows.

A damp cave is best for storing wines. Next comes a real wine cellar with an AC unit and humidity control followed closely by a basement. After a basement would be a wine refrigerator without humidity control. Since those are not real options (the basement might be though), a dark closet preferably one without an exterior wall. The important factor in storing wine is first light. I keep my expensive bottles in boxes. Stable temperature is next. Stable and steady temperature is more important that actual temperature. Humidity is important to keep the corks from drying out. Also store either on their side or upside down for the same reason. I keep my whites with my reds until ready to serve. I then refrigerate for a few hours. Unlike beer, you don't want your wines too cold.

Hope that helps.

16. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

I just learned more about wine in one paragraph than I've ever heard, read, or known, period.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

It's just one of the many benefits of being a member of a fitness site. ;)

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    It certainly did. Bear in mind, these are not expensive wines, but that was all good information. Fortunately, I do own a damp cave. :D

19. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
  20. volleyball

volleyball Pickled

"Don't spend a lot of money."

Mic drop.