1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude's 2014

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Feb 5, 2014.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, one thing I've learned over the years is that when you think you've hit rock bottom, you usually bounce... several times. And that's where I've been so far in 2014. But we're already into February, and after several half-hearted attempts, I'm hopeful that I'm on the way back up and won't fall down the well again.

I'm not going to do a lot of obsessive stats tracking (at least not here in this journal) but I am going to try and stay accountable with occasional reports when I hit certain milestones. One of those was yesterday, when I actually went to the gym and picked up some heavy things and shook them around in various motions. I'm going to do that again today.

It's going to take a little bit to get back into the swing of eating better, but that's a road that I'm comfortable driving without a GPS once I get on the highway. As always, the challenge will be blood sugar control and avoiding the late night binge (which would be a great name for a horror movie monster).

"In a world where good nutrition is a challenge... your worst nightmare is The Binge!" :lol:

2. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

This is not untrue. :nod:

Jaer
    could hear the announcer voice everything!

3. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

How are your DOMS today?

4. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a little, but nothing too bad. A twinge in my right shoulder and a little tender in my right elbow, but it didn't stop me from getting back to the gym and lifting again this afternoon.

5. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

:tucool: Two days start a trend. :)

6. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    :nono: Three days is a bender. :dance:

Three miles on the treadmill today at a 10:00 pace.

Good: Treadmills force you to run at a constant pace.
    Bad: Treadmills force you into a mind-numbing trance.

Bad: I stopped for a Big Mac on the way home.
    Good: I didn't eat it (yet).

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

A reheated Big Mac? :ohnoes:

Nice job on the treadmill run.

How badly did you guys get hit; seems from what I've read that a lot of your general area lost power?

8. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Np, cold. At least I ordered it with no pickles. Because a cold Big Mac with pickles would be gross. :D

Yeah, its pretty bad in a lot of areas right around me, but we're fine here. They are saying it may be five days without power for some people. You know what that's like (except you didn't do it in the middle of winter with no heat).

9. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Glad you're okay.

When we lost power for 9 days due to Sandy it wasn't as cold as it is now, but it was cold enough that on the morning of the day that power was restored my bedroom temperature was in the mid 40's.

10. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Yeah, cause it is the pickles that would make that gross.... :no:

Jaer
    was hanging with some friends over the weekend, and some discussion of high school came up, such as how he would order a big mac meal--super-sized of course--and a 20 piece chicken nugget for lunch. There's a reason he's the size he is today.

11. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    My menopausal spouse would find that comfortable. :blank:

I could totally still do that today. :blank:

12. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

Oh I could. I easily could. I would probably feel pretty sick an hour or so afterwards, though.

Jaer
    grew up at some point. At least a little.

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    With today's workout, I made it to the gym four times this week.

Now if I could only get my nutrition under control, that would be good.

14. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member

Great job on getting to the gym.

Focus changing on one thing, eliminating the big macs perhaps. Once that is achieved then select simthing else. Baby steps. But you know all this. ;)

15. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Nice job on getting to the gym; you're off to a good start.

Happy birthday wishes to your son; I hope he and the family are enjoying the day!

16. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Well... yeah. But in my defense, it was a Big Mac (singular, not plural)... that's a baby step.

Thanks... we went out to dinner, then did cake and presents at home. He's 13 now, so we officially have two teenagers in the house. :ohnoes:

#16 phillydude, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Two teenagers....let the fun begin. :lol:

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    So I've got a little bit of a dilemma that I'm trying to work out... maybe someone has some advices that I haven't yet considered.

See, I was planning on doing this ten mile race at the end of March. Except that the weather's been absolutely horrible, which has meant no real ability to run outside yet this year. And my experience with the treadmill the other day reinforced my utter contempt for that apparatus (and in addition, I did not mention is that my shins were mildly tender for two days after that one short session, something that hasn't been an issue for me for a long time).

But more than anything, I just haven't been motivated to run. I will admit that I've actually been more motivated to lift. As in, when I think about lifting I think "Hey, this isn't too bad" (having a nice gym to work out in is a big plus on that side of the equation). While on the other hand, I haven't once thought, "Gee, I'd like to go for a run." Today being a prime example of that... when I was supposed to run and had nothing stopping me from doing so except my own free will.

It's hard to put my dilemma into words, but here's an attempt. I know that running (or any kind of cardio) will be a benefit long-term, especially when it comes to losing some fat (which could be a reason for my lack of desire to run... I'm just so heavy right now that it's a "burden"). But at the same time, I feel more like if I am spending time working out at all, it's time I would rather spend lifting.

To complicate the issue, this event is something that my friends and I have done on and off for several years now, and it's a social "obligation" as much as it is a fitness goal. In theory, I could put in an abbreviated training schedule and still get myself to the distance (right now I'm seven weeks out... I could probably cut it to five and still get there... but then again, how much risk of injury is there in that plan, given that I'm not as young as I once was and I've already proved that the treadmill is less than ideal for my legs).

Basically I'd be holding out hope that the weather would clear up enough in the next two weeks to allow me to train outside, without any guarantee that my desire to do so would reappear. And looking at the calendar, I'm not confident that things will be much different on Feb 24 than they are on Feb 10 (where we've had six inches of snow on the ground and huge patches of ice for several weeks now).

I guess there's really no issue with not running now and playing the "wait and see" game... but something tells me that if I don't start sooner rather than later, later will find me with less motivation and more reasons not to run.

Thoughts?

19. Jaer

Jaer Well-Known Member

:twitch:

I don't think that counts.

Honestly, I don't have anything new that might get your around the idea. I can only commiserate. Despite really wanting to keep up my running through winter this year, I have not been able to keep it steady due to snow and way-too-close-to-0 degrees weather. I've managed it a few times, which is better than some winters where I fall off and stay off until warmer weather.

I similarly agree both with treadmills and with the not knowing it the weather will hold. That's just a bad recipe for keeping on track. And an abbreviated schedule could be a quick race to an injury.

My advice is, as you are sliding back into your fitness lifestyle, do what is coming easiest. Right now you are dreading running and favoring lifting. That makes it much easier to keep on track with your lifts, and makes it likely you will come up with excuses to skip runs. Put running on pause until you feel it. There's no need to punish yourself with it, possibly delaying the return of the enjoyment of it, just to make this race or because you think it will help with fat loss.

What will help the most with fat loss is when the weather starts getting warm and that fresh spring smell is in the air and you are just itching to get out in the sun for a run--when you get to that point, success is assured.

Jaer
    is longing for decent weather for a comfortable, pleasant run.

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Not sure I have much to offer. Some facts:

1. You're not into running at this time
    2. You're heavier than you want to be which makes running harder on your body than if you were lighter
    3. You don't have a solid mileage base to draw from
    4. You're not as young as you used to be which means:
    4A. It's easier to get injured and
    4B. It takes longer to recuperate
    5. There's a ton of ice and snow around with more on the way
    6. Dreadmill is not a viable option
    7. There's a social component to the run
    8. To go from essentially a couple to ten miles in five weeks is an aggressive training plan

If you start with the premise that you don't want to get injured then the path starts leading toward not running in this year's run. That said, I've seen you do some truly impressive race miles with very little training.

Have you talked with any of your buddies about this? If some of them live anywhere near you then they're in a similar situation with regard to the lousy outdoor running conditions.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I were in your situation. I'm pretty sure I know what I should do, but something tells me I would take the less prudent route and see how it goes.

I don't know if I've clarified anything for you and I certainly hope I didn't add to your dilemma.