1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

PhillyDude: The Velocity Diaries

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by phillydude, Aug 9, 2012.

1. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Velocity is defined by speed and direction.

And given my current state of affairs, I need both in my life right now.

I will turn 48 years old in thirty days, and I’m coming to the realization that (realistically) my life is half over. If certain things don’t change, that generous assessment could be divided by another half or more. Once I thought 100, now I hope for 75. And that’s not good.

About ten years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes. At the time, I was eating whatever I wanted, drinking almost every day, and doing no physical activity at all. I told my doctor that I wanted to try and control the disease through behavior modification, and gave myself a six month timetable to make that happen.

I started running, I cut way back on the drinking, and I changed the way I ate. And it worked. With that victory in my head, I was encouraged to do more. I ran further and faster, I took an interest in diet and exercise that lead to a career in the fitness and nutrition industry, and learned how to create a healthy lifestyle which was sustainable.

And of course, I found JSF and made myself at home here, while learning so much from so many. I traveled the country to meet up with these new friends, took part in some awesome running events, and shared a meal and a drink (sometimes a lot of drinks) with a great group of the “regulars,” including John Stone himself. And life was good.

But somewhere along the way, things started to slip. I can’t pinpoint a specific reason, but my enthusiasm for “diet and exercise” faded away. There were changes in my life, and priorities shifted along with those developments. All the progress I made was lost, and it became difficult to regain the motivation to make positive decisions.

I signed up for running events, and either didn’t put in the training required to be as successful as I could, or blew them off entirely. I went back to drinking and eating with reckless abandon. I lost touch with many of those friends I made and the fun we had, and as many others have done in the past, I faded away from JSF. Again… not good.

With that, my health started to suffer again, and my diabetes returned. For the past year or so, I’ve been dealing with the symptoms and trying to ignore them. But I can’t let this continue, or I will indeed fall short of my estimations of life expectancy. I need to make changes quickly (speed) and I need to regain a sense of purpose (direction).

Velocity is defined by speed and direction. It’s time to get going.

#1 phillydude, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Phil, as someone who has been the beneficiary of your generosity and has shared some of the moments you alluded to you know that you have my support. You can do this. :nod:

3. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Phil, I could feel the sincerity in your writing. I know you can do it. Welcome back. :)

4. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

5. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Paul. Looking forward to getting back to the good times.

John, it really means a lot that you were amng the first to check in. Thanks!

Hi Choppie! :dreamy:

6. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good: Well, I’ve been able to keep my weight under 200lbs this year… but I think that’s because of my diabetes, not because I’m eating right and exercising. If you add up what I eat and drink on a regular basis, there’s NO way I shouldn’t be gaining at least a pound a week. I’ll get into more details on that below.

I’ve been moderately active this summer, completing a two day, sixty mile bike ride with my older son, and training for a shorter twenty mile ride with my younger son. That means I’ve been going for short (less than an hour) and relaxed (read: slow) rides a few times a week. But still, nothing that resembles a strenuous workout.

But perhaps the best of the good: I’m motivated to make some changes, and the timing is perfect for me to do so. Starting Monday, I’ll have a twenty-eight day (four-week) period until my birthday on September 9th. My wife and kids will be out of town next week, which gives me a good window of opportunity to get into a groove without interference.

And if there’s one thing I know how to do well, it’s how to create a plan. Sticking to that plan is the real challenge, but I’ve got some things working in my favor. No social events to trip up my nutrition plan. No family obligations to disrupt my workout plan. It’s an open stretch of calendar where I can finally get back to making routinely good decisions.

The Bad: I’m going to have to give up drinking for at least a month. Since much of my social life on the weekends revolves around drinking, I think that’s going to be a big change. But if I have to be a hermit for a little while, it’ll be worth it in the long run. It’s not going to be a forever thing, and I’m sure my friends now will still be my friends later.

I’m not in the kind of physical shape I once was, and I know it. Even on the short bike rides I’ve been on lately, I’ve struggled to keep up with my older son, and even when I tried to get back into running earlier this summer, it was a real battle to regain my endurance. And it’s been a long time since I stepped foot into the gym to lift weights.

But perhaps the worst of the bad: I’m not confident that I can succeed. It’s a short program, and there are a lot of components that I need to integrate quickly and execute well. I’ve tried and failed several times over the past few years to get back to a consistently healthy lifestyle, and there’s no guarantee this time will be any different.

But at least I’m going public with my plans, and I’m hoping to still have some support among those who are aware of where I once was and where I am now. So if I start to lose my way, I’m counting on those close to me to push me back in the right direction. After all, this could very well be a “life or death” situation.

The Ugly: Aside from my ugly face, the ugliest truth is that my diet is absolutely awful these days. Here’s a sample of what my life has become: Breakfast is usually an entire pack of Little Debbie snacks: six to twelve little bundles of sugar and fat. Or when I’m feeling “healthy,” it’s two or three breakfast burritos from Burger King. I also start on a full gallon of iced tea (at least this is diet green tea) which lasts me throughout the work day.

Lunch is either an order of Chinese food: pork with garlic, a ton of fried rice, a couple fried crab rangoons, and an egg roll; or a trip back to Burger King: three Whoppers with an order of fries and an order of onion rings; or Subway: a foot-long meatball sub with cheese; or the local gas station for three or four hot dogs and a bag of kettle chips and a large Slurpee/Icee-type cola drink.

We have a vending machine at work, so at several points in the day I’ll grab something sweet or crunchy: cookies or poptarts or a chips. And on the way home, I’ll either grab hot dogs (if I didn’t have them for lunch) or Taco Bell (a $2 Meal Deal plus a couple additional items… whatever’s on the dollar menu). I’ll also stop at the package store before I get to the house and grab two 32oz cans of Miller High Life for the night.

Dinner is whatever I can find that the kids haven’t finished, and whatever I can find in the kitchen that I can make quickly. That might be a pound of pasta, or an entire package of frozen pizza (one of those nine-slice boxes), or a couple sandwiches. If I feel like it, I’ll drive to the grocery store and get a whole fried chicken and something from the bakery, otherwise it’s ice cream or cookies later in the evening.

I can’t even begin to add up the calories; as I said before, I know it’s the diabetes that’s keeping me from gaining weight. And don’t even get me started on my nutrition plan during the weekend… beer and booze (usually “boat drinks” with a fruit juice base) and restaurant food (nachos are a staple, even though I’m surrounded by fresh seafood). But all that is going to change on Monday.

You see… there’s a reason I called this thread The Velocity Diaries, and it’s only partly because of the whole “speed and direction” theme. More on that tomorrow…

7. Chopaholic

Chopaholic Well-Known Member

It's impressive, it its way. :nod:

8. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

I appreciate the honesty of that last post, Phil. Yeah, that has got to stop. Your recent diet might as well be a bullet. You got this, do it.

9. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Hi Phil,

I completely agree with John.
    I would suggest a physical. This'll allow you and us, to see what's up. Cholesterol, EKG, liver enzymes. Even test levels.
    Your diet has to change, dude. There's no question about that. Diabetes is serious stuff... I would also agree with you that it's now or never. We are not as young as we used to be. Our 'cushion time' has been vastly reduced.

Your family should be your motivation. You're a great dad and husband.

Thanks for your tips about my Harley question.... It's been a good summer of riding. I'm glad you got your HD out and about. :tucool:

#9 mastover, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  10. Paddy

Paddy Well-Known Member
    Platinum Member

dude on food.

damn! :eek:

11. macdiver

macdiver Well-Known Member
    Bronze Member

Wow, That diet is hard to imagine.

When I first joined here, you were completing marathons, ultra's and the Goofy Challenge.

That shows you have the dedication and discipline to get this straightened out. You have made the first step, the rest is downhill.:tu:

12. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

Oh! Oh! Can I guess?! I've got a guess!

Alright, fine. I won't spoil your surprise.

13. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    It is, isn't it? That's a lot of food.

It will stop. Even if I don't follow though with the fitness, the diet can (and will) change. That's just a matter of putting down the fork.

I've got an appointment next Monday for the full boat physical. including testingfor T levels and GH levels, on the odd chance I can convince them to put me on the stuff for that. Glad to hear you're enjoying your summer, Mastover, and thanks for stopping by.

Was that eek directed at my ugly mug? Poor little Paddington the bear.

I completed the Goofy eighteen months ago. Can it be that it was all so simple then? Good to see you're still around, MacDiver.

Cork it, Clowny McClown. Don't make me kick the skates out from under you. But seriously, E... I caught up on your journal. Keep on...

I've actually been writing the longer posts a day ahead, so I know what tomorrow's is all about already!

#13 phillydude, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  14. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    The Velocity Diet

As I alluded to yesterday, in order to “reset” my body, break the bad habits I’ve developed, and give myself a jump start, I’m going to start the Velocity Diet 3.0 on Monday. If you are not familiar, here’s a link with more info than you need:

http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_program/sports_body_training_diet_velocity/velocity_diet_30

I’m pretty much going to follow the nutrition plan as written, with the following substitutions. Most of these are done for cost purposes, but I feel that the core of the program is still sound, and I’m confident that it will work well for my lifestyle.

1) I’m using a generic Walmart protein powder. http://www.bodyfortress.com/SUPER-ADVANCED-WHEY-PROTEIN-VANILLA. The only thing this will change is the amount of carbs in my diet (more on that later). I have written my program to include Vanilla, Strawberry, and Chocolate Peanut Butter flavors.

2) I’m using a different brand of vegetable/fruit powder. One of the perks of my job is that I get samples of a number of products, and I recently tried (and liked) the Greens Pak from Trace Minerals Research. http://www.traceminerals.com/products/wellness-lifestyle/greens-pak

3) For one serving a day, I’m using a product called Barleans Omega Swirl instead of a traditional fish oil capsule. http://www.barleans.com/omega-swirl.asp Again, I received a 30 day sample box, so we’ll give it a try (Key Lime flavor).

4) Post-workout, I’m substituting chocolate milk for the recommended “Surge” product, based on my reading of this article: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/an-objective-comparison-of-chocolate-milk-and-surge-recovery.html. It’s readily available and cheaper too.

5) Since I will be weight training first thing in the morning, I moved one of the shakes to a pre-workout position in the plan. It’s actually just a half shake, but I like to have a little something in my stomach while I’m under the bar.

Other than that, it will be pretty straightforward. I calculated from the website that I should be around 1500 calories on non-workout days, with a 60p/15c/25f split. On workout days, that goes up to around 1800 calories with the same ratios. I’m coming in right on the money with a 55/20/25 split, which will probably work out fine… a few more carbs will probably make it a bit easier on the brain.

Supplements will include the fish oil and fiber tabs called for in the plan, plus a multi vitamin, glucosamine, and an 80mg asprin. I also received a sample bottle of an herbal supplement which is supposed to help regulate blood sugar levels (http://www.nulivlifestyle.com/healthy-blood-sugar-levels.htm), so I’m going to use that for the month as well. I’ll be taking 5g of creatine every day (mid-day), and an additional 5g on workout days (PWO). And ZMA in the evening before bed.

Beverages will consist of shakes (duh), a quart of Powerade Zero on workout days, and the gallon of diet green tea that I’ve already been drinking, plus plenty of water. I’ll be giving up diet sodas, but might have a cup of coffee with Splenda if I need a boost. And yes, I will be giving up the beer and booze for the month, even on the HSM day. As I mentioned, that will be a real challenge, but it’s something I have to do.

The HSM, or Healthy Solid Meal, will obviously be the bright spot in my week, and I’ve already got those days circled on my calendar. I’m anticipating that it will be from Outback, as they have a nice steak dinner with a baked sweet potato, broccoli, and a salad for around ten bucks. A Bloomin’ Onion will not be included!

My first shake and last two shakes will be made at home (as well as the pre and post workout drinks), and I will bring a hand-held shaker to work for the mid-day meal. My biggest concern, however, is that I am very accustomed to mindlessly snacking (on junk food) throughout the work day. To combat that, I plan to stock up on sugar-free mints and gum, and will keep those on my desk.

I’m not putting any specific weight loss goals out there, other than to complete the Velocity Diet for the full four weeks. I’ll get into the tracking methods I’ll be using and my workout plan tomorrow, and then it’s full speed ahead in the right direction on Monday!

#14 phillydude, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  15. leftyx

leftyx Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much about ssnacking if your meals are filling. Filling meals will remove some of the urge to snack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

16. digitalnebula

digitalnebula Plagiarist

17. kree-kree

kree-kree Well-Known Member

Hi! :wave:Welcome back! You were there for me many years ago when I first joined! I'm hear for you now! You can do this!! :tu:

18. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Let's hope the shakes are filling. Good to see ya Lefty.

Goes to show there's science behond the supplements. Thanks!

Thanks Kree! How's your bod?

19. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    Working Out The Details

The Velocity Diet includes a workout program designed by Chad Waterbury. I read through the plan a few times, and immediately started thinking of what changes I wanted to make. Then I took a step back and thought, “Why are you tinkering with something that was written by someone with much more experience, specifically created to be used in conjunction with the nutrition program?”

I realized that the main reason was to find easier exercises, which kind of defeats the point. There’s nothing in the plan that I CAN’T do… just things that I don’t WANT to do. I’ve got no physical limitations that would stop me from doing squats or deadlifts. And there’s no reason to add in things like curls or crunches if the program doesn’t call for them.

So I’m going to run it for four weeks as it’s written, but due to my schedule, I’m going to have to work out on three consecutive days, Tues-Wed-Thurs. I’m not going to work out on the weekends, so the V-Diet Challenge workout will not be part of my plan. It’s mostly body weight stuff anyway, and with my body weight, that might be a little too much to bear LOL.

I have the LiveSTRONG Challenge bike ride next Sunday (20 miles on the bike), other than that, not much cardio. I’m planning on going out with the running club on Monday nights, at least on those nights I can make it, but I think I will just power-walk for three miles instead of trying to run. And of course there will be moderate activity on weekends, riding bikes to get around town, or swimming and sailing on the bay. I do plan on getting plenty of sleep, however, as my gym time will be around 6am.

I will track my weight and body fat daily, using both my digital scale and my digital Omron. I plan to take pictures tomorrow night before starting, and again on my birthday. If I can find my tape, I’ll also take basic measurements. I expect that I will update this journal daily between 12 and 1 in the afternoon on weekdays (after all, I won’t be “eating lunch” during my work break) and in the morning on weekends.

As I posted the other night, I have an appointment for a full physical next Monday. I was hoping to have that done on the first day of the program, but I couldn’t get in. I’m going to try and get a follow-up for six weeks later. I expect they will give me a blood sugar meter to monitor my diabetes… I’ve done that before, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Well, I think that’s pretty much it. Time to get some sleep!

#19 phillydude, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  20. phillydude

Media:
    Albums:
    And So It Begins...

Starting weight: 197.0 lbs
    Starting body fat = 21.95%
    Fat weight: 43.2 lbs
    Lean weight: 153.8 lbs

And so it begins.

I decided against using the store-bought iced tea I've been drinking, and made a gallon of green tea (unsweetened) instead. :tu:

By the way... my last meal was two double cheeseburgers from Dairy Queen... they were REALLY good. :eat:

edit: I started getting REALLY sleepy at work around 2pm... so I sucked down a packet of Taco Bell "Fire" hot sauce... no calories, one gram of carbs, woke me right up.

edit 1: I walked about three miles at a 15 minute/mile pace after work. Kicked my ass.

#20 phillydude, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2012