1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Phase 2 of Deeman's Cut - 1 month RFL!!

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by Deeman, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Starting the next step on my journey to fat loss so I found it appropriate to create a new journal.
    ---------------------------------------
    My previous journal can be found here:
    Deeman's Journal

Started: 196lbs
    Exercised & Dieted (calorie deficit w/macro ratios)
    Started: 196lbs
    Ended: 164lbs w/20% B/F
    Journal includes before/after pics & planning for this (RFL) phase of the diet
    Current: 164lbs - 20% B/F

Goal: Cut to 14% B/F in 1 month
    Post RFL: Go back to the caloric deficit diet and continue to build muscle and cut the fat
    RFL Specific Stats:
    Category:
    Bodyfat: 20%
    Weight: 164lbs
    BF: 33lbs
    LBM: 132lbs
    Activity level: 1.25x
    Protein Intake: 165g Protein (1.25 x 132)
    --------------------------------------
    RFL General Schedule:
    Sunday - REFEED & then Full body workout
    Monday - Company softball (LOWWWW CARDIO)
    Tuesday - PM Full body workout
    Wednesday - 1 hour walk (200cals @ 3MPH)
    Thursday - PM Yoga & Full body workout
    Friday - Catch up on sleep
    Saturday - random activity (hiking, swimming, walking) and CHEAT MEAL
    RFL Diet:
    I personally find it easier to stick w/a strict diet when I eat the same thing everyday so that's exactly what I'm doing. The following is my meal plan for the entire RFL excluding Sunday (Refeed) & Saturday (Cheat Meal)

DRINKING ATLEAST 4L WATER PER DAY

7:00A
    500mg Calcium (from Calcium Citrate)
    200mg Caffeine
    24mg Ephedrine HCL
    2 Fish Oil pills (Omega 3 & 6)
    (need to buy new multi-vitamins that don't have caffeine in them already)

4.8oz Perdue Perfect Portions w/Old Bay seasoning
    3.0oz broccoli & cauliflower (from 12.0oz steamed bag)

10:00A

1 Starkist Albacore Tuna packet

1:00p
    3.0oz Tyson Ready Chicken Strips (skinless breast)

3:30p
    200mg Caffeine
    24mg Ephedrine HCL
    1 Starkist Albacore Tuna packet

6:30p
    6.0oz Tyson Ready Chicken Strips (skinless breast)
    1tbsp sriracha (hot chile sauce for chicken strips)

Daily total:
    Cals:
    Protein: 171g
    Carbs: 22g
    Carbs (excluding vegs): 6g
    Fat: 13g
    Fat from fish (tuna & pills): 7g

---------------------

STARTING WEDNESDAY 2011-07-13

#1 Deeman, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  2. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Nice progress but what's RFL?

3. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Thanks man! Slowly, but surely I'm cutting out the fat

RFL = Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Handbook
    The support forum is HERE

RFL is what's known as a Protein Sparing Modified Fast (or PSMF as you will most likely see it referred to as). Pretty much a calorie deficit w/an emphasis of getting the majority (if not all) of your cals from protein sources

In short the theory is that by consuming as few fats & carbs (except carbs from non starchy vegs) and taking in enough protein to maintain as much Lean Body Mass (LBM = weight - fat) as possible.. weight will drop because of the SEVERE calorie deficit, but w/the right amount of protein will maintain as much LBM. So basically, if you lose weight, but you're maintaining LBM.. the weight you're losing is primarily fat (and water weight, of course).

The REFEED mentioned above is a 5 hour (once a week) carb reload. Depending on your "category" as specified in the book.. you may have a different REFEED requirement. During the refeed, you are basically reloading your body w/carbs to replenish the muscle glycogen (carbs stored within muscle) as well as helping to disable diet induced catabolism (tissue breakdown). Not to mention, you have something to look forward to once a week. The key here is that although you are reloading your body w/carbs, not to overdue it. Personally, I'm going to try to stay under my caloric maintenance on my day of REFEED

The FREE MEAL is just that.. not sure on the benefits to the body, but definitely helps psychologically to have a meal to look forward to.

The author himself refers to RFL as a major crash diet and said the only reason he published the guide was to help those wishing to do a crash diet to do it more safely (as well as more effectively)

It's definitely worth the read even if you decide that the diet isn't right for you since it contains a lot of useful information about how the body reacts under certain conditions

#3 Deeman, Jul 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  4. BJ

BJ Active Member

Deeman... just an FYI... I liked my experience on the UD 2.0 from Lyle. It requires a LOT of effort and planning to follow, but I felt it worked great. Once you have burned out on the RFL, you might consider that.

5. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

DAY 1

DAY 1

Today really hasn't been all that bad w/regards to the diet. To be honest, I've been force feeding myself all day because I'm not hungry AT ALL.

Looking forward to more chicken when I get home though! Seriously... if Perdue was publicly traded, I would buy a sht-ton of stock. Chicken is by far my favorite food in existence.

After dinner I'll be going on the walk as planned and will HOPEFULLY be in bed by 10:00p. Didn't get to bed until ~12:45a last night and I feel a little sluggish today because of it. I definitely need to make sure that I'm getting better sleep during RFL to gauge my energy levels effectively

6. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

I saw that he had other diet plans on his site that I'll need to check out. I honestly just want to go back to my old diet since I had a great deal of success w/that, but we will see what UD2.0 has to offer for me.

What was your fat/weight loss on it?

7. Whoracle

Whoracle Well-Known Member

Thanks for explaining it. Good luck man you've made good progress under your first journal.

8. user786

user786 Active Member

i have followed RFL in the past and it works well , and the book is a concise great No bull guide .
    IMO ur activity levels are far too great 3 full body workouts and all that cardio is not a good idea on 800 cals of basically protein a day, again i wouldnt really recommend the ephedrine stack every day maybe occasionaly . As lyle mentions cardio can be counteractive on this diet the fat loss is mainly due to the calorie deficit in the diet itself , the body is a clever machine and if i remeber correctly people who did more cardio were no better off than those who did none!
    the strength training again i would say twice a week is sufficient and do this around your refeeed / cheat days to make them carbs to use , believe me standing with a heavy barbell on your back and squatting with no carbs in your system is Shit lol ....and remeber you wana keep the reps down and the Weight as heavy as possible safely.

:gl: with this

9. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

^^ thx for the info. you have a very good point about the cardio and weight lifting. I will make adjustments to my schedule tomorrow

10. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

DAY 2

Weight: 162.8lbs this morning

Almost Friday! I didn't end up going to the gym today because I feel a bit sluggish so I'm going to bed early.

As recommended, I am going to go down to 2 full body workouts per week. Definitely hitting the gym on Sunday after my refeed, but now I just need to decide what my 2nd workout day will be. I'm thinking that I will be probably keep it Thursdays so that I can do yoga and then workout

11. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Good luck with the new plan. You've done great so far.:claphigh:

12. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

thx man. this will definitely prove to be one of the more challenging phases of my progress, but will be well worth it in the end!

13. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

UPDATED PLAN

After receiving the recommendation above, I did some research and have restructured my general schedule accordingly.

I have cut back to 2x FullBodyWorkouts per week and have scheduled them after the REFEED & CheatMeal

I will monitor my progress for the next two weeks in the hopes of adding in a day of cardio or full body workout

Here's the adjusted schedule:

--------------------------------------
    RFL General Schedule:
    Sunday - REFEED & then Full body (HIT) workout
    Monday - Company softball (LOWWWW CARDIO)
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - CHEAT MEAL, PM Yoga & Full body (HIT) workout
    Friday - Catch up on sleep
    Saturday - random activity (hiking, swimming, walking)
    I also switched out the albacore tuna for chunk light. The chunk light was on sale for $1 a package this week so I bought 24 of them yesterday and am going back tonight to get some more.
    DRINKING ATLEAST 4L WATER PER DAY

7:00A
    200mg Caffeine
    24mg Ephedrine HCL
    2 Fish Oil pills (Omega 3 & 6)
    GNC Mega Men's Multivitamin

10:00A

1 Starkist Chunk Light Tuna pouch

1:00p
    3.0oz Tyson Ready Chicken Strips (skinless breast)

3:30p
    200mg Caffeine
    24mg Ephedrine HCL
    1 Starkist Chunk Light Tuna pouch

6:30p
    6.0oz Tyson Ready Chicken Strips (skinless breast)
    1tbsp sriracha (hot chile sauce for chicken strips)

Daily total:
    Cals:
    Protein: 171g
    Carbs: 22g
    Carbs (excluding vegs): 6g
    Fat: 13g
    Fat from fish (tuna & pills): 4g

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#13 Deeman, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  14. MMacG78

MMacG78 Active Member

Nice work Deeman. Keep it up. RFL is going to work awesome if you can stick with it...looks like you have a very solid plan so far

15. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

I am definitely sticking w/it! The hardest part of the RFL IMO is the 'no alcohol' portion. I'm young and live in the city - it's only been 2 days and it's already been tempting to hit a happy hour. I'm going to start researching the topic of RFL & alcohol and see what comes up. I would think I'd be able to have vodka/tonic, but we shall see

16. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

Day 3

DAY 3

Weight: 162.0lbs

I got ~9 hours of sleep lastnight which is the most I've received in a few weeks! I feel great, but still a bit sluggish. Hopefully tonight's sleep will resolve that as it is kind of annoying having my eyes feeling heavy.

Time to research the RFL/alcohol issue mentioned in the above post as well as cheat meals that would be beneficial pre-workout. I really want drunken steak & potatoes =)

#16 Deeman, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  17. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

DAY 4

DAY 4

Weight: 159.8lbs

Alright guys, I kind of cheated last night...

I was sitting around.. I was bored.. so... I WENT TO THE GYM

I bet you thought I was going to say that I cheated on my diet!

Working out felt so good. I was able to make gains in all of my exercises EXCEPT for triceps :bang: so starting next week I am going to do triceps exercise once a day at my house in hopes of getting back to where I was w/my progress

I will most likely be going out for drinks tonight, but I think I've done enough research to make good decisions.. VODKA & DIET! Apparently because I have had next to no carbs, I am going to get buzzed quite quickly so I need to keep that in mind

Well. it's time to get the grill cleaned so that I can make up some chicken breasts

18. user786

user786 Active Member

yep done that also after 8 or so units u will be smashed then comes the real test whether you can avoid that pizza / grilled chicken on the way home in the early hours :lol:.....and make sure you drink a a big glass of water for every unit so u doing feel like death the next day.

Oh y revised plan is good:)

19. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

FAILED THAT TEST!! Ended up sharing a meal @ mcdonalds w/my friend and felt horrible the next day. i was so damn hung over yesterday i didnt even get to go to the gym. so.. here's what i learned:

When I drink I make horrible food decisions. In order for me to be successful on this diet, I must avoid alcohol in excess. Anything more than 2 drinks may be trouble for me

So - I'm starting the diet over.. today is DAY 1

20. Deeman

Deeman Active Member

DAY 1 (again)

DAY 1

Weight: 164lbs (refeed yesterday)

Well - as I stated above, I made a poor decision after drinking and I feel horrible about. I really regretted it Sunday morning so I'm starting my RFL all over starting today (DAY 1)

I wasn't able to go to the gym yesterday because I was hung over, so I'll be going tonight. From there, I will do a cheat meal on Thursday w/a workout after.. and then refeed on Sunday w/a workout after.

Also - I switched up my fish oil to the Nordic omega 3-6-9 combo from GNC.. tastes much better