1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Phase 1> Deporkification.

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by zero, Mar 18, 2009.

1. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Hi all.

After a bit of stopping and starting over the past year I'm finally getting down to it properly and getting some results.

Diet has changed totally, ditched soft drinks (sugar free but still weren't helping) which made my appetite drop right off and has made changing eating habits easier by far.
    The past couple of days I've been counting calories more carefully, just to get a rough idea.

Lifting 2days a week for over an hour and walking on a treadmill most other days.

In about 6weeks gone from 238 down to 224.
    Waist size from 42" to 38"

Will post details once they are worked out a bit more as diet/lifting/cardio is all still being tweaked.

#1 zero, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Calves sore today, combination of workout (thats been changed hence the soreness), then yesterdays hiking around for 4 hours+ over awkward rocks and treadmill today.
    Not that bad though..

Calories are being written down and charting weight and waist size (might even start to use the flab callipers once a month) I'd quite like to see progress day by day somehow, sometimes don't believe its actually come off even though I know it is..

Diet is going well.. a 1000 calorie deficit. Just drinking water and keeping away from sources of hidden cal's (e.g. condiments!) This has been for the last 2/3 weeks. Interestingly I can't eat as much as two weeks ago without feeling way overly full +stool production has gone noticeably down..
    I'd guess the bowels are compensating for the large reduction in calories by becoming extra efficient at processing what does come though. (It may interest anyone reading that the human digestive system's nervous tissue is roughly equal in weight to the brain, so its smarter than you might think)

Slowly building weight up bit by bit on the deads, squats, good morings allong with the other usual stuff.

Not long till i finish uni for a long summer, so I'll have even more time to get into it! :bb:

3. Justitia

Justitia Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

That's a great start you have!

I really like the name of your journal...:lol:

I look forward to seeing your progress. :nod:

4. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Thanks :) I've taken before pictures and will be taking them every fortnight or so.. I'll post them up once I can see useful comparison there.

Todays weight: 223.25Lbs

Diet, which was always a problem seems easy now.. I can't shake the feeling ditching the pepsi, loaded with artificial sweetners, has normalised my appetite.
    The calorie counting method (all written down in a notebook) isn't for everyone but its really working for me :)

5. zero

zero Well-Known Member

220.75Lbs today :D
    Which comfortably puts me at the lightest weight I've been for 5 years.

37.8 inches/96cm belly measurement (the system is to pull it in as far as possible and take that measurement, then there's no subconscious cheating going on. Also push it out and take that down too)

Its sort of like slowly winning the pork lottery in reverse.. I mean its going and its difficult to believe, I keep expecting the scales to have been tampered with and the tape measure stretched somehow..

#5 zero, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  6. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Todays weight.. 220.50
    and waist size has gone down by 3cm..

Slightly weird and disruptive week (time for exercise wise) spent the day standing in a stream collecting various invertebrates and trying not to fall into the water..

I can see why people advise against the daily weighing (there has been slight +worrying anomalies) but still prefer it, I like to see the slight wobbles. If I've got the graph right (yes there is a graph) should be hitting target number one well within the month :D (the target being 15stone, 210lbs)

7. zero

zero Well-Known Member

218.8 today.
    Fair old bit of fluctuation between days but afaik thats a normal range (specially considering the ammount of water ei'm getting through)

Have noticed a need to go to bed much more early, but then i'm wakeing up much earlier also. Think this may be due to the early starts all in a row, but we shall see. (usually i sleep at 2am and wake up.. well, late)

8. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Hi Zero

I definately think you're right to weight yourself every day. I went to the extreme of weighing myself twice a day when I first cut. It really helped sharpen my hourly focus, and focus is what we all need when seriously cutting.

All the best!

9. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Ha funny enough I'll sometimes weigh 2 times a day, more to see the difference at certain times of the day, out of interest...
    I did notice there were anomalies when I'd had to eat slightly later 2 days in a row..

Your spot on with the focus.. Its great to see the progress happening, really does help to know its working! Also to be able to work out where I'll be in x amount of days is terrific.

Thanks for the reply :tu:

Interesting!! I've just measured my resting heart rate (3 times) and its down from the high 70's to 56bpm! Thats got to be good!

#9 zero, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  10. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Some comparison pics taken yesterday..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Left 20th March (223.75lbs)
    Right 2th April (218.4lbs)

11. Akira-Kai

That's some serious progress in a very short space of time!!!

Wow!

Keep at it!

12. zero

zero Well-Known Member

I find it difficult to see difference even over a bit of time but I'm glad you can see it too :lol:
    Definitely keeps me going.

Thanks for the reply :)

[​IMG]

Graph! (From the look of the graph I should be well on the way to 15stone by the end of the month)

13. Akira-Kai

Hi Zero - nice Gym Setup!. Thanks for posting the pics in the media thread.

A way off topic question for you. What bikes have you got and have you done any custom? Before marriage and children I was totally into bikes. I started with an off road RM80 with no front brake (ended up half way up a tree), then bought "pass my test" GS125, then a Z400 and finally a GT550. The GT ended up underneath 2 cars and I never bought another. I used to make frequent tips up to the Lakes, and Europe and enyoyed every minute (well nearly!) I once rode all the way from London to Munich, non-stop, just for fun!

Anyway - way off topic I know - just thought I'd ask.

14. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Hi,
    At the moment I've got this cb125t (going to be using this more now its summerish)
    [​IMG]
    and this cn250 (for the tons of stuff needed to be lugged about for uni)
    [​IMG]

There both used for commuting, remember the snow? I was out in that :lol: (the sick thing is I could have gone in the car :blank:)

Most of the tinkering is to do with interesting new luggage and silly lighting bars, huge mirror stems made of 2 mirrors.. and things of that nature. I don't trust my arc welding for anything that might snap and leave me skidding down the road on my head :eek:

Also had a couple of cx500's and a 650 (that was interesting!) a transalp (which had a habit of going onto one cylinder then kicking back in while you were going around a corner.. but only in the rain) and a cg125 that I started with :D

I can totally see why people give them up, specially when your all familyed up.. I'm hugely careful 100% of the time and have still almost coped it on occasion because of the infinite supply of morons out on the road.
    Nearly had a gt550! but lack of space (and money) is a problem being a student and all :blank:

The lakes has some brilliant roads around there, going up there this summer :D

(drop me a pm if you ever decide you'd like another :tu: )

15. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Weight today - 217.2lbs

Dog sitting this week and next so will be doing a heck of allot of walking/jogging*

(*anything faster than walking seemed to be a pretty alien concept to benji, but he definitely liked it)

16. Akira-Kai

Great Bike setup! What are you studying?

17. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Ello, Thanks :D Not exactly frightening (till you want to stop :lol:) but they keep me happy.
    I'm studying a biology degree, very interesting but hard work! I'm planning on getting onto medicine after, but thats a long way off. Actually thats the main reason I decided to get my sheeit together and get fit. Put it this way, you don't see many newly accepted medical students several stone overweight.

[​IMG]
    +ANOTHER GRAPH!!

The (barely visible) yellow line = 1lb per week weight loss
    The orrange line = 2lbs weight loss per week
    The green line is the weight loss at the overall current rate
    Obviously the wiggly black line is the actual weight lost.

18. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Today's weight 217.2.
    Still well within the golden cone of excellence™ (Between the green and orange line)
    the orange is the orange line of acceptable progress
    and the yellow is the wiz hued line of mediocrity.

Also belly measurement has gone down again to 91cm (using the maximum cheating method)

Ordered myself a pair of these for lifting in and for running
    http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.cfm

#18 zero, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  19. zero

zero Well-Known Member

Todays 216.2lbs. Still in the zone cone :cool:

#19 zero, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  20. Akira-Kai

Nice smooth downward progress!