1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

pet peeves at the gym

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Jono, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

i don't really have much, besides the fact that sometimes the music they play is crap and/or the volume is to low to even here it..

i know some people find "grunting" or making noises really annoying.. i use to think the same thing.. but ever since i started max ot, its almost unavoidable for me.

one thing i noticed.. i am one of maybe a handfull of people that actual break a sweat during a workout.. and i mean, actually break a sweat where its just dribbling off your face.

its funny, especially when i workout my back.. after the first 2 sets my face is beet red and im just sweating like im drooling over some whey protein :drool:

what bugs you?

2. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

At the school gym, when kids just hang out on the benches and other equipment. Another is when I see people doing alot of weight with horrible form(or just not doing a full range of motion). U know what I mean, guy thats benching and doesnt go all the way down.

3. marcus

marcus Well-Known Member

Dont even get me started Jono :)

I suppose there is the heaps of stupid things I see people doign at the gym but the one thing I hate that could easily be changed is the music. They play easy listening, it makes me want ot go to sleep or light some candles or something. I try t get them to change it but we have a lot of old people at our gym. There is a massive nursing home nearby and theyve really promoted it there so about 1/3 of the cientele is over 60. I think thats great for older people to work out but because of this they dont wat to change the music in case they offend them.

I try to bring in my headphones but its hard. I guess its good because it makes me concentrate on my workout and not on any external factors.

Thats all im gonna say because I could go on forever.

Marcus :tucool:

4. Berran

Berran Well-Known Member

When people hog the same bench or machine for a long time, especially when they arent using it... You know, they sit there chatting with their friends for 20mins and not lifting at all. Ahh well, the joys of a college gym, alot of people run into friends!

Also, I can't stand it when someone who smells strong of body oder walks by... I mean working up a sweat and a little oder is expected, but some people workout and don't even use deoderant... I dunno about you but that makes me gag.

5. Fudgam

Fudgam Well-Known Member

My coach lets us listen to cds on the stereo in there, or the radio. Hes cool like that :tucool:

6. xray

xray Well-Known Member

Jono and Berran, I agree with you!! Being a female, I still like to really work out when I work out, and it's really annoying with the girls doing "flimsy-wimsy" with their arms and legs, with make up put well on, and they can just change their clothes afterwards without thinking about a shower.... I know what you talk about when you say sweat dripping from your forhead. (One thing's for sure, I'll never meet the man of my dreams at the gym, but that's not why I'm there, either...)
    And it is actually possible to change clothes between every time at the gym, to prevent the stench. It's hard to hold your breath at the gym, to avoid smelling the bad odors. :p
    I just had to put it in, have thought about this so many times - but of course, we are different and have different goals for what we do.

7. MYBAD?

MYBAD? Well-Known Member

I always think its strange how there seems to be an unwritten rule that the more you can lift gives you more right to hog equipment. I would have thought that people who need to improve have more right to be there. :(

Yes, body odour bothers me too but thankfully I've not had too much experience with that. (/me sniffs armpit in a paranoid fashion).

Otherwise I find waiting around at peak time irritating. There's nothing worse than having a clear plan in your mind about what you will do only to have to alter that plan or wait too long because the gym is too busy.

Oh yeah, I also have a problem with too many women looking at me in a lustful fashion when I benchpress (....he said as his nose grew another two inches). :rolleyes:

8. BusyChild

BusyChild Well-Known Member

This is going to be a great thread!!!!

From my gym,

- I went later than I normally do on the last holiday. Big mistake. An all womens spinning class was next to where I was lifting. They have music which I don't care about but then they're in there chatting away while spinning. Obviously not spinning hard enough. Then one would come out of the room into my area to take a cell call. She's blabbing "Don't forget to dress little Bobby up for his play date". I felt like screaming "LESS TALKING MORE SPINNING".

- Where I do cardio there's 6 tvs up front. Either one guy will come in and turn on 4 of them (WTF?!?!?!? how many do you need) or someone will come in and turn one up loud then someone else will turn theirs louder. I'm thinking of bringing my univeral remote next time and muting them all with one click

- Also in the cardio room theres a large fan which is off when I get there (5:30am). I always turn it on because it drowns the tv noise and cools it off a bit. I found if its off then inevitably (sp) someone with too much cologne will get right in front of me. Or someone will fart and it frikin lingers. One day a guy asked me not to turn the fan on because "he was cold". I almost snapped (I'm a little stressed lately) but instead I said how about we wait 10 mins and he concurred.

- Maybe I am at the wrong gym but this is the only one that opens real early but there are alot of gay men there. Please don't get me wrong I have no problem with that (if I did I'd leave the gym). But would they please stop staring at me and smiling at me every chance they get. I'm not bragging and I'm certainly not much to look at; my wife said its my blond hair and baby face but I'm ready to shave my head and pick a fight with someone like John so I can get a crooked nose, some scars and missing teeth.

Thats it.... for now.

9. BusyChild

BusyChild Well-Known Member

When that happens I say in a loud voice "STOP UNDRESSING ME WITH YOUR EYES!!"

I used to say that at work during meetings to break it up a little.

10. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

w00t!

Oh yeah? We have *9*! BUT all the cardio machines have this little doohickey (CardioRadio or something) with a little channel selector and a headphone jack. All the TVs have the closed-captioning turned on, and no sound. If you want sound you plug in your headphones and choose the appropriate TV (channel 1-9 on the dealie). I think that works WONDERFULLY.
    Yaaay! Thanks for not being the guy who thinks he owns the gym! You know who I mean. Good job! :tu:
    Attention = motivation? Just an observation...

11. justingodin

justingodin Well-Known Member

There are some mornings when a 50-60 year old women will work weights. She is typically in there 1-2 times a week. The problem with her is she wears tight spandex shorts, and tank tops. It goes without saying it is extremely gross to see her with that much skin exposed.

I also can relate to everyone else who shared a story involving ignorant people at a gym. Before I changed my routine around, I would sometimes go and do cardio a couple times a week at 3-4 pm. And it's a whole new world when the kids are out of school...

*People often wouldn't wipe down their equipment
    *Left weights on the bar, walked away
    *Took up room at machines flirting with girls, trying to show them how to properly lift :rolleyes: (the guys had no clue anyway)
    *One kid always brought a girl with him, and she would just watch him work his arms and do absolutely nothing else
    *People sitting on machines talking on their cell
    *Take up the squat rack to do curls, there are other available bars

I don't know how anyone could get a proper workout in then, I was just doing cardio and getting annoyed.

That is why I have always lifted at 6 am. There is a regular group of people who work out there at that time, and it's a respectful atmosphere. We're all serious about what we're doing, and everyone is really courteous to one another. From the few examples I've seen of what people are like later in the day, I gladly change my schedule around so I don't have to deal with that.

12. gravityhomer

gravityhomer Elite Member
    Lifetime Platinum Member

Talk about bad music. The last two times I've been at my gym. Someone will put on national public radio. for those who don't know NPR is an all day news station. This has to be the worst thing to lift to. Man I'll tell ya, I get really pumped up listening to the weather. :nod:

Oh and Jono, that avatar is awesome.

13. MYBAD?

MYBAD? Well-Known Member

annoying people in my gym

My heart fills with glee when I've been running for 30 mins on the treadmill and the same annoying little squirt takes the treadmill next to me. He then makes it his only objective in life to look at my treadmill speed and go faster than me. Then he stops after about 5 minutes with a pleased look on his face.

When he's in the free weights area, he checks himself close up in the mirror after every set that he does. I mean, he lifts a set then goes over to the mirror and clenches his arm to see if its had any effect!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR. :db:

14. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

man, that is NOTHING! here is one for you!

2 weeks ago, an older lady, maybe mid to late 40s, possibly early fifties, rolls into the gym and grabs two 10lb DBs and starts doing this side lateral butterfly flapping raise thing. i wouldnt have noticed her, as i was in my own world with my music blaring on my mp3 player, but she had so much perfume on, my damn nose was BURNING! i look up, there she is, flapping away, and the outfit put me in tears. She was wearing ::

- Spandex pants, way too damn tight
    - Panties under the pants were grannies, but too tight, so she butt-rolls
    - knee high(yes, TO HER KNEE) boots on, with 1.5 inch heels
    - thick mohair-type sweater with a DOUBLE turtleneck that hung way past her waist

But, thats why I like the gym. The humour is pretty cool, helps keep me occupied while banging out 23 minutes on the elliptical machine, or something to giggle at while i rest between sets. Im no body of perfection, and im sure i look like a maniac doing HIIT on the elliptical, but damn, people need to dress appropriately at the gym!

15. neckowi

neckowi Well-Known Member

I don't mind people grunting and making noises while they are lifting. What bothers me is WHEN THEY ARE YELLING UHHHHHH SO LOUD THAT EVERYONE LOOKS AT THEM TO SEE IF THEY ARE OK. It's clearly a ploy to show how much they are lifting, as if anyone cares.
    Also, as several of you have said, I hate it when people sit on machines and just talk. Please take your weak game elsewhere and hit on people on your own time!
    And daveo I am extremely jealous of your gym's TV setup... that is so cool that you can jack in with your headphones! Ours are close captioned so no sound ever, and we have to listen to top 40 music :p Luckily my iPod mini just arrived today! :drool:

16. corbint

corbint Well-Known Member

actually, ive got many more stories, but id rather list my peeeeeves ::

- people that dont put free-weights back
    - people that dont strip the 20 45lb plates off the leg press or calf raise
    - people that do dead lifts in the power rack
    - people that do alt DB curls... IN THE POWER RACK
    - people that bench, WITH A SPOTTER, in the POWER RACK
    - people that dont wipe down the sweaty cardio gear and force me to clean up their mess
    - people that wear mud-covered shoes into the gym, and let the dirt crack off and go EVERYWHERE!
    - people that want to talk to me in the middle of a set, or want to talk and talk and talkkkkkk for a long time. i dont mind socializing, but if you see me getting psyched to bench press, dont come up and ask me if i like the color of your socks!
    - the cell phone carriers! if you are so important that you must have your celly with you IN the gym while working out, get the hell out of the gym.
    - the Cardio GrassHoppers (tm)... These people hop from cardio machine to cardio machine. First, you see them on the treadmill for 20 minutes doing walking, running, skipping, etc, then they bounce to the elliptical, then to the bike, etc. They were in there before you got to the gym, and are only halfway done when you are leaving the gym.

Needless to say, Ive begun investing in workout gear for my house. Within 2 weeks, my gym will be together, and Ill cancel my membership. At my gym, the weights will always go back in their proper places, the music will be motivating and LOUD, the gear will be clean and not abused, and there is a hot girl(my wife!!!) I can check out while she is doing cardio without getting in trouble! Best of all, my gym will be open 24x7, will have NO membership fee, clean towels, plenty of soap and locker space, and a friendly staff always willing to help motivate you to get that last rep. This is my gym, at my house. Wooop!

17. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

People in the locker room that think their gym bag should occupy the bench the whole time they are in there, including the time they are in the shower.

Especially if the room is short on bench space (and I've never seen one that wasn't, when crowded.)

People, the benches are for PEOPLE to sit on to put on their shoes, etc. Not to keep your gym bag off the floor or out of the locker, or to reserve the spot for you to sit on when you come back. :(

18. daveo

daveo Well-Known Member

iPod!

My headphones are broken! :(
    The Apple headphones broke about 2 days after use. Luckily I have some replacements on their way!

I got pretty exicted and made "Cardio" and "Lifting" playlists, only to have the damn earbuds break. My fault btw, yours should be fine :tucool:

19. dkroll

dkroll Well-Known Member

RE: Cell phone carriers

corbint,

Not everyone that carries a cell phone does so because they think they're SO important. I'm in the gym from 5-6AM, while my kids at home are getting up for school. If one of them needs me, I think it's pretty important that they be able to reach me. Being a new father, I'd think you'd understand that. Congrats on that btw.

20. John Stone

John Stone John Stone
    Staff Member Owner

I gotta agree with dkroll on this one, Troy. I workout at home, but if I did go to a gym my job would require the ability to contact me via the Nextel 2-way or over the phone. I do think people should put the phones on vibrate and step outside while taking a call, so as to not distract others.

Also, I think cells phones are so ubiquitous these days that the "I'm important because I have a cell phone" thing is LOOOOONG over. Personally I'd like to smash mine into about 10,000 pieces.