1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

People who think you have an eating disorder...

Discussion in 'Female Health & Fitness' started by quazysonar, Jul 22, 2007.

1. quazysonar

quazysonar Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! I haven't posted in such a long time but there is something nagging me that I had to hear some opinions on.

So i know that most people don't keep of track of everything they eat and don't work out 5 days a week BUT when I do talk about these things with average people i really get annoyed when they imply that I have an eating disorder. Our society makes me really upset - they keep making this connection between something that can be quite healthy with something that is not at all healthy. I realize that the two CAN and do often go together but I wish that it would also be acknowledged that being mindful of your health CAN be very healthy and fun. I am just irritated. What do you all think? Have you had similar experiences?

2. crupiea

crupiea Well-Known Member

I am pretty militant about my diet and talk about it and think about it all the time so I certainly know what you mean. It's funny when people offer up a suggestion like is the cure all for nutrition. Like saying olive oil is good for you. They heard a news article somewhere about it and now think you can drink the stuff by the gallon and lose weight, lower heart risk factors and whatever else. Not to bash on olive oil, It's just an example of what I hear.
    Then you are the idiot because you don't drink it by the gallon. Eggs? why would you want to eat those? Steak? Everyday? are you crazy?!! I hear those alot too.
    On the flip side, I now work in the weight loss industry because I think and talk about my diet everyday so some people saw some value in my experiences.

3. Naturegirl

Naturegirl Well-Known Member

People say I do, but I just tell them that everything I believe is backed by science and is a positive thing. Heck the only time people did not say I had an eating disorder was when I actually did have one ----Compulsive Overeating and binging and trying to get myself to stop by ways of going against my natural healthy inclinations.

It's annoying and you can get to feeling indignant, but that's just how society thinks, in America especially.

4. KC

KC Active Member

I'm so glad you brought this up. I encounter this all the time. Just last week a friend of mine told me it was not good for me to run 2 days in a row. I think I can probabaly think of 20 things that she does that are A LOT more unhealthy for her then running on consecutive days. It's scary how being unhealthy is such a norm.

Just remember it's just jealousy and keep doing what your doing!

5. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

Wow.:blank:

6. Alana Calloway

Alana Calloway Active Member

I hate when some people think you have a eating disorder because you're naturally thin and then you have these people that think you don't eat enough and that insults them because you're not curvy like them and you keep your weight down but people are going to think their little opinions just don't let that bother you hold up your head and then ignore them because most of the tme they sound ignorant anyways why waste your valuable time on people of that nature

7. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

Sweet crap of the Gods !! Don't even get me started on this!!! The first part of my "transformation" was a cut. I cut down to 2400cal / day, then 2000, then 1800 ( fastest weight loss here ), and then 1600 ( plateau and undereating here ).

Anyway, when I was at 1800 cal / day, I was eating 6 meals a day. Breakfast was ussually a protein shake ( 1 scoop whey in water ), same for 10am snack but with an apple. Lunch was broccoli and fish or poultry. Had another whey shake for 3pm meal, preworkout was a whey isolate + apple. And then dinner was again asparagus or broccoli + poultry or fish. I ate plenty... believe me! But people, names won't be named, told me I was being anorexic !!! WTF !?!?! Just because I track my intake and I am losing weight, and having a good deal of success with it doesn't mean I am effing anorexic for fraks sake !!

This really strikes a nerve with me, I don't get a lot of people offering me advice because I kinda blow em off when they do for reasons mentioned above... ( eating just cabbage soup doesn't equate to healthy fat loss )...

Anyway, I am on a bulk now so I am eating 3000+ calories and I have had people tell me I am going to gain all the weight back... THAT'S THE IDEA!!! Except this time that weight will be muscle! GAAAH ! I've been on my bulk for almost a month now and I have gained like 3 to 4 lbs, and my BF % has stayed roughly the same.

All those people rippin on ya, they're jealous. I told someone I lost 25lbs in a little over 3 months, and they said "You little shit! How'd you do that?!". When I said lots of exercise and watching my diet disappointment set it... as if I presented some fad diet that would be drastically better ... GRRR!! Don't pay attention to those folks, they're just jealous [insert inappropriate adjective here] :mad:

8. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

If someone who cares about you thinks you may have a problem, be open minded enough to hear what they have to say and at least pause to consider whether there's any validity to their concerns.

If it's just some jerk off you work with, don't sweat it.

I find that people are just jealous because they wish they had the discipline required to do what many of us are doing.

When I tell people I've been eating clean and haven't had any junk of any kind for the past month they look at me like I have three heads.

I kind of like it.

9. banderbe

banderbe Active Member

For the health of your knees and hips it's probably not good to run at all.

I know a number of personal trainers who will tell you that running is probably the worst form of cardiovascular exercise there is because you can get the same results with less joint stress using an ellipse or similar machine.

10. virtualadrian

virtualadrian Active Member

Ain't that the truth, the most I will run is 10 minutes to get my HR up, then I switch to the bike, if I am doing LISS. Or I do 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill, but that doesnt bust my knees / shins up as bad for whatever reason. Depending on the weight of your upper body, be it muscle or fat, you can really crank your knees out if you don't watch it... least so was my experience.

11. HevyMetal

HevyMetal Well-Known Member

All the Buffalos in the herd want to know why you're not a Buffalo.

12. Pete5

Pete5 Active Member

If a person uses proper form while running, and implements a good weight lifting routine into their time, they shouldn't suffer from any running induced injuries besides muscle fatigue.

13. quazysonar

quazysonar Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses...i really needed that! Some of you brought up an interesting thought with the jealousy - i actually hadn't thought of that although it really is quite simple. But in fact most of the people who seem to think i might have an eating disorder actually are people who know people who had one and therefore think they are like experts at seeing the signs. Its interesting that they think they are helping but actually just making a negative impression on someone who is doing something healthy.....funny how that works.

Special thanks to Naturegirl cuz you hit the nail right on the head for me too - the only time people don't think i had an eating disorder is when i did- binging to deal with stress, emotions, unhappiness, etc. But what i'm doing now feels great... I tried to tell that to the last person who openly said that she thinks i have an eating disorder and she just kept looking at me skeptically. I didn't know whether i felt sorry for me or for her!

14. kd1

kd1 Active Member

can't do triathlon's if you don't run :D just different goals I guess.

15. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

I try not to talk about my eating or exercise

Then I don't get free advice or comments about my physique or eating habits. I just don't bring up the subject, and I find other people don't either.

Balance is good though. I eat about 90% whole, organic, raw veg/fruits, whole grains and lean meats and fish. Then I eat chocolate Ice cream if I want. I don't write anything down. I just work my butt off in the gym.

My food choices are not their business. Yours aren't either.

I get the point someone made though... about a friend being concerned. If you (did I read this wrong? Sorry if I did) had a problem with anarexia or bulemia in the past, they are just concerned. Be greatful someone cares.

16. JoeSchmo

JoeSchmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, its all the rage on these boards (and fitness boards in general) to automatically attribute any negative comments about one's eating/exercise protocol as stemming from jealousy, but I think that is actually a simple and often self-serving answer. It is quite possible that 1) You actually have an eating disorder, or 2) You don't have an eating disorder, but your friends/family might honestly think you do.

If #2, then simply explain to them what you are doing, why you are doing it, and how your actions will contribute to your fitness/health goals. If you explain to them simply, yet intelligently, why your plan helps facilitate health and fitness, then perhaps they won't have reason to suspect that you are compromising your health via dietary fanaticism. Sometimes people "accuse you" of having an eating disorder because they care about your health and well-being. It isn't always because they are a bunch of self-loathing fatties who want to derail your goals, and prevent you from acheiving something they can't.

17. mastover

mastover Well-Known Member

Good points Joe. Sometimes, however, it's best to lead by example and attained results, rather than always having to explain. Basically I am oblivious to anyone's/everyone's comments. Whether to me or behind my back, I owe no one an actual explanation in regards to what I am doing with nutrition, exercise, health, and the reasons why I compete. Fitness is truly an individual endeavor. Being sensitive to questions or comments, or feeling as though you have to ratationalize to others why you do what you do is ridiculous. Being a competitor for so long, I have been met with all the comments and accusations that go with the territory.....from being gay, to being vain and narcisistic, irresponsible, to selfish, anti-social, self-serving, etc. Most of these people are very ill informed and many of them are hypocrites. To me, an individual who is selfish and irresponsible is the person who eats like crap, always has excuses, never exercises, smokes and/or drinks. Then when they get sick or hospitalized due to their self-neglect, it's their families who suffer. Now that's what I call being selfish, vain, irresponsible, and self-serving.

#17 mastover, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2007