1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Peloton Cycle

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by Banditfist, May 31, 2016.

1. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

So, I was intrigued about this Peloton Cycle commercial that I saw one day back in early March. I thought that it was a very neat concept. I have been trying to find a spin class here in Alabama (think bunch of fat people who don't go to the gym). I had total hip replacement surgery on 30 April 2015. I have been doing the Lagree Method (Pilates on steroids) for the past year. I have also gotten up to around 10 miles of walking a day. The one missing element of my fitness was cardio where my heart rate is 150 bpm+.

The Peloton Cycle is an at-home spin bike where you can take on-demand or live classes streamed from the studio in Manhattan. The bike is $2,000 with a $250 shipping/assembly plus you have a 1-year obligation for the monthly stream of $39. So, we are talking around $2,700 for the first year. That is a big chunk of change. Not something that I would be willing to take a chance on the quality etc. Well, my family had a vacation planned to NYC for Spring Break. I decided that I wanted to sign up to take a class on a morning where the family would be sleeping in. I told the wife my plans in case I was murdered on the way to the class (I used to live in Baltimore City, so I am really only kidding). The Peloton Studio was awesome and clean. The studio itself had 60 bikes and the entire class was full. The bike itself was more solid than any spin bike that I have ever used. It is completely quiet! It uses magnets for resistance. The in-class bikes have what looks like a Samsung Galaxy tablet. The display shows your heart rate, power output (assume that the bike has a power meter), cadence, and digital resistance. There is also a leader board so that you can compete with others taking the class. The instructor was absolutely fantastic. I was wiped when I finished the workout. I took the subway back to the hotel. I also knew that I wanted a bike for home use.

Last weekend, I scored a deal on Craigslist for a bike for $1,500. I have taken two classes since then. The at-home bike has a 22 inch monitor that shows the same things listed above as well as the instructor video. The foot print for space is not that bad. I had to wipe down the bike after each use due to the sweat puddle left behind.

www.pelotoncycle.com

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Sounds great Bandit... glad you found something you like, and hope that you will continue to enjoy it.

Did I read right... walking ten miles a day? How much time does that take? :spaz:

3. Banditfist

Banditfist Well-Known Member

When I am hiking, I am around a 16 minute pace depending on the terrain. What I decided to do at work is to take my "smoke" breaks in. When it was winter, I would go out an walk 1-3 miles on sidewalks at around a 14:30-15 min pace. The heat of summer in Alabama starts in Spring! It is a lot more difficult (impossible) to walk a mile even at 9am and not come back in drenched in sweat. I work in an office situation and just cannot do that. I am just trying to make sure that I am staying active and working out the hip. Supposed to get 20+ years before I have to have it replaced again.

Also, pretty sure that Peloton just opened up a retail shop in Philly.