1. JSF is shutting down soon. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

PDCA my way to my goals

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by PDCA, Jan 19, 2010.

1. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Ok, I am finally doing this after many requests by my husband. My hubby is BJ on the forums.
    My goal for this journal is to have a place to track my weight loss and find motivation, advice, inspiration, and accountability.
    My goal for myself is to get down to 130 pounds by the end of this year. I am currently doing the January 100 point challenge.
    Little background: Have always been thin up until I started my family. After two kids and bed rest with the second one, I found myself at 220 pounds and not so worried about it. I had no problem maintaining this weight for three years. I was miserable and my husband even more so. March of 2009 I started my weight loss journey. By then I was at 230 pounds. I started off slow and just did some mild cardio and started tracking my calories, not worrying about the macros. My hubby encouraged me to get on here and read through everything and get some knowledge. BJ has helped me a lot this past year in creating a lifting program and adjusting it as I went. I started watching my macros and calories and by August I had lost 40 pounds.
    I wanted to change up my cardio, so I started running in August. I used the couch to 5K program which I have come to love. I ran my first 5K in December of 2009 and then I took a break from it all. I stopped lifting and stopped running and got busy in the holidays.
    January 1st 2010 I started everything back up. Began the 100 point challenge and I am almost back to my pre-holiday weight.

I am currently 189 pounds. :o I lift three days a week and run three days a week. I will post more details of my lifting. Right now I am on track with losing 10 pounds this month, since I have already lost 8 pounds.
    I will post my stats too.
    I am currently on a wave calories. Started the first two weeks at 1100, and then 1300, 1200, 1100 and a final 1000 calories for a 6 week commitment.
    I hope to post to this journal everyday, so I can have everyone help me. You may see something I am doing that is wrong or not beneficial to me; please let me know!
    I wanna make 2010 a healthy year to remember!

PDCA= plan, do, check, adjust

2. BJ

BJ Active Member

I am glad that you decided to to this! I love you :love:

3. JDiesel

JDiesel Active Member

First off, welcome! I'm sure you'll find nothing but support and encouragement from those on these forums. Second, awesome job on actually starting a journal. That (in my opinion) is sometimes the hardest step. Glad to hear you have someone else in your corner as well, hope he doesn't push you too hard :p

4. CA$ON

CA$ON Well-Known Member

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!! :tu: With BJ beside you and this forum for support you have a great journey ahead of you.

5. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

:dreamy:

It's so cool that you two are in this together. That's huge! That's going to make it so much better for both of you. :nod: Welcome to the forums, PDCA. You're on the right track. :tu:

6. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

So today was my lifting day, and I thought I would post my routine right now. I lift Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I lift at home, so I don't have a lot of choices. I have a squat rack, bench w/ leg ext and curls, and pull downs, bar, and free weights. For cardio I have a treadmill, elliptical, and recumbent bike. I am a stay at home mom, so I prefer to workout at home.
    12 exercises at heavy weight, 6 second reps (3 up/3 down) I try to keep my weight so that I can go to failure somewhere between 8-12 reps. This is what I do (in order with weight#):

Leg extensions - 95
    Leg Curls -60
    Calf Raises (one leg at a time) - 50
    Bent Over Rows (one arm at a time) - 30
    Lat Pulldowns - 60
    Reverse Fly - 10
    Military Press - 45 (bar)
    Chest fly - 20
    Bench Press - 45 (bar)
    Curls (one arm at a time) - 20
    Tri-pulls - 25
    Crunches

These exercises are in progress... meaning I have worked my way up to these weight amounts. I like to change my lifting every month or so, so I don't get bored. BJ helps me with that.

My diet this week is 1300 calories a day with macros at 50% carb, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I also try to drink a gallon of water a day. I log my food onto fitday.com and I works great for me. Today I discovered a wonderful new favorite food. Cottage cheese with splenda, cocoa powder, and natural peanut butter... YUMMO!

I feel that my diet is the most important key to my weight loss. If my diet is not right, all the exercise in the world won't matter.

On the scale this morning...188. Another pound gone. One pound away from my goal for January (10 pounds) but I am not stopping! :tucool:
    Tomorrow is my cardio day and I will post the details of that tomorrow!

It feels so good to be in the battle!!

7. BJ

BJ Active Member

HECK YEAH - The Slight Edge... easy to do... easy not to do - but you feel so much better for doing! Proud of you honey

8. JDiesel

JDiesel Active Member

You've got it right there :nod: Keep up the great work!

9. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are on the start in the right direction. Holidays get me every year, but then its back on after (ok, ok you got me, I have been off for more than that, but I am back on it).
    Hopefully we will run a couple of 5k's together this year, so it may keep the motivation up.
    Also, VERY VERY cool that BJ is here to support you on your journey. :tucool:
    Wish my wife (er.. ex) would have been the same way. :mad:

10. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Thanks for the support, you guys are awesome and I love it!! :D

Tic- I think we should do some runs together. One thing my hubby won't do is run. He injured himself last summer b/c he was running w/o knowing what he was doing. I do have to let you know, I am not that fast yet. Do you know any programs that help you run a 5K in less time? I have seen a few on-line but they cost $.

Today was my cardio day and I enjoy running. The conditions outside (ohio in winter) forces me to run on my treadmill. I have gotten more used to it, but would so much rather be outside and in the sun. I can't wait for summer!!
    I started running last fall to change up my cardio. I had never been a runner in my life, but so many of my friends were starting to do it. They all followed the couch to 5K program which I used also. I ran my first 5K in December.
    Something I am doing this year, is keeping track of all the miles I run. I am interested to know how far I can go in a year. So far in 2010, I have ran 16.3 miles. I run three days a week (days I don't lift). I have found that I gain tremendous focus when I run. I run to music, and it helps a lot. It is a feeling I cannot explain, but it is like I can clear my mind and gain tremendous insight. I think it is an adrenaline rush, and it is addicting. Anyone feel this also when they run? I keep a consistent pace until the last minute of my run and then it is a full out sprint. It's sweet!
    Last week I was running about 3 miles each running day and this week I have increased speed to 3.5 miles in about the same time. The next program I am going to do is called Gateway to 8K. It can be found on the couch to 5K website: www.c25K.com
    About 2 years ago is made a BHAG: Big Hairy Audacious Goal to run a marathon sometime in my life. Two years ago I was 230 pounds and not exercising at all, so this was something that was completely opposite of where I was. A friend of mine set that goal at the same time and she has already done it. I hope to run a marathon sometime in the next couple years. I am not getting any younger but I am getting lighter. That has to help!
    I will be posting more about my diet next time. I am trying to be an open book and as forthcoming as I can. When I hit a plateau (which I have before) this info can help me see where I am going wrong or what I need to change.

Tomorrow is lifting day and looking to increase some of my weights. Can't wait!:spaz:

11. The_Tic

The_Tic Well-Known Member

I can dig up some information about running faster 5k's for sure.
    I am back to the slow stage, because like all people who are fools, I quit running 4 or 5 days a week and went back to flirting with running every now and then. I am ramping back up so hopefully it wont take long to get faster...

12. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Great to find your journal!

I'm training for my first 5K right now and have been using this program: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=6028
    They have three other programs, so there might be one that fits what you are looking for.

It is great to see a husband/wife team tackling the fitness. My wife has just started lifting this week, so that was a lot of fun!

Keep up the good work!:tucool:

13. Ecrivain

Ecrivain Well-Known Member

I always recommend Hal Higdon's programs. They've gotten me through a few half-marathons and a full marathon. He has several 5K training plans. I've not used those, but I can vouch for the effectiveness of his other plans.

Yes! Absolutely! That feeling is what keeps me running. I love it. The clarity of mind, the focus, the endorphin rush, all of it comes together and it's simply transcendent.

I do that often, too. :nod: I love finishing strong like that. It's a great way to end a run.

Well, ya know... a few of us are getting together for a lil jog like that this fall, and you're welcome to join us. :whistle:

14. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

It took me a while to get on board. He started losing weight and led by example. Sometimes it take someone else's results to get you motivated. I hope she keeps it up. I go to my hubby when I have questions or when I need to change something. That's probably part of the reason it took me so long to post a journal.
    Thanks for the encouragement!

15. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Thanks for the invite. Not sure I will be doing something like that so soon. I wanna focus on my weight loss this year. I want to focus on 5K's this year since it is still pretty new to me. My first 5K was in December and it was almost too cold for me. I am anxiously waiting for summer so I can run more of them. I may try an 8K and/or 10K.
    Good luck to you! I will watch your posts to see how the running is going!:tu:

16. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

So today was a good day. I decided to fast after not eating breakfast and having a coffee at church. Very busy day, so fasting was easy. I never do this on days I work out, but I actually enjoy doing it. Tonight is starting to get hard (getting hungry), but I know how good I will feel tomorrow! Anyone else fast?

The one thing I have found that I have trouble with is drinking a whole gallon of water everyday. I have a 32 oz. water bottle that I fill up four times a day. I have no problem with drinking two of them, but I never get to the fourth. Any suggestions? I tried putting 4 rubber bands on my wrist, but that isn't working...

I will be on the scale in the morning, so I will post my results tomorrow. Tomorrow also starts my 1200 calories a day. I usually eat the same thing everyday, but I like what I eat, so it is all good.
    Looking forward to this week, less busy than last week, so I can focus more.

17. BJ

BJ Active Member

Try to tie each fill-up with something during your daily schedule... for example... I drink 25 oz on my way to work... have my first 32 oz cup down by lunch... have another 32 oz cup while working out... the 3rd one in the afternoon... then 25 more oz on the way home.

Don't know what in your schedule you could try to tie it to, but that has worked for me

18. PDCA

PDCA Active Member

Drum roll please....

186...:claphigh: I reached my goal for the month!! I still have another week left, so I am hoping to lose 2 more pounds this week. I feel great after my fast yesterday. Not even hungry this morning, but eating the second part of my breakfast now. I had 4 oz of yogurt with 10 gr of grape nuts earlier and now having a serving of egg beaters and two prunes. Trying to drink my water...
    For lunch I will be having some pineapple and a banana, a Protein shake after I lift. For supper I will be having some taco seasoned chicken breast on brown rice and some broccoli. Before bed I get my treat of cottage cheese, cocoa powder, splenda, and natural peanut butter.
    My calories will come out to 1224, with my ratios at 47/35/18 (c/p/f).

19. livedog

livedog Well-Known Member

Good job!:claphigh:

20. JDiesel

JDiesel Active Member

Great job! :claplow: It's always so great to accomplish those things we set out to do (with some room to spare even!). I'm sure next month will be even better :nod: