1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo's final cut

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by paulo_drummer, Jan 9, 2012.

1. paulo_drummer

paulo_drummer Well-Known Member

My name is Paulo. I'm 38 years old and 238 pounds. Body fat around 35%, BMI 36. This also means I have about 85 pounds of fat inside my body. 85 pounds. Almost the weight of my two daughters. Combined. :eek:

It have been 3 years since I fell off the wagon. By the end of 2008 I had lost 24 pounds in about six months. I was happy and excited. Then there was the Lehman shock, followed by unemployment and divorce. And now, three years latter (and 57 pounds fatter), I'm finally back.

Latter this week I'll post my meal plan and workout routine, but for now, let me start with some stats:

WEIGHT: 238.00 lbs
    BODY FAT: 35.6%
    CALVES: 18.30
    THIGHS: 26.37
    HIPS: 44.48
    WRIST: 6.69
    WAIST: 48.62
    FOREARMS: 11.81
    UPPER ARMS: 15.35
    CHEST: 48.22
    SHOULDERS: 17.71
    NECK: 17.32

Well, pretty depressing numbers, I know. And that's the point of keeping this journal, my public commitment to work hard and create less disturbing numbers in the next six months. My goal is to drop to 170 pounds until August 31, 2012. It really sounds very unrealistic to me right now, but I've there before and I know it's possible.

That's it. Gonna post about meals and workouts latter. :tu:

#1 paulo_drummer, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  2. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

That sounds really, really tough and I hope things are working out in your favour a little more.

Pleased to have you here anyway, and all the best with your goals!

3. paulo_drummer

Thank you!
    Things are better now, except for the fat part...:lol:
    Lots of work to do. :tu:

4. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

A fellow far eastener, except I'm sure Japanese food is waaaaaay healthier than Chinese. Haha.

Good luck man, stick with it, eat solid and do solid workouts.

Also, if you can, eat with chopsticks, I'm not kidding. If I eat fried rice with a spoon it goes down in seconds, chopsticks, I have to take my time!

5. paulo_drummer

Thanks man! Nice to hear from someone living near me. :tucool:

Hey! Nice tip about the chopsticks! I'm gonna definitely try it. :nod:

6. paulo_drummer

The Meal Plan

So, first things first: Nutricion.

I'm trying to keep things simple in the beginning, so for now I'm gonna follow the last meal plan I had back in 2008. I made just a few adjustments, because I'm waaaay heavier than before and need more calories to avoid starvation mode. Maybe I should come up with a new meal plan, but I'm still struggling everyday to cook my own meals, better keep it simple and adjust as needed.

So, I'm eating (or trying to...) 2.700 calories as suggested by JSF BodyShop.
    Here's the macro breakdown:

[pie=paulo_drummer]2012-01-12[/pie]

And here's the meal plan:

[​IMG]

I'm working my way back to drink at least 2 litres of water everyday and sleep between 7 and 8 hours.
    I'm still missing one or two meals everyday, but I'm determined to do better next week. :nod:

Next post: workout! :flex:

:cool:

7. paulo_drummer

Workout

I tend to overthink things. I tend to wait until all the lights are green before I leave home. When it comes to fat loss, you can see the problem, huh? :doh:

I was struggling for months (over) thinking about workout. Should I join a gym? Which one? Barbells? Dumbbells? Machines? What about cardio? Man, I hate how this kind of over thinking prevents me from going any further! :mad:

Luckily for me, my own financial situation solved the problem. Joining a gym or anything involving money is off the table for a while. Then I realized one thing: I’m now 80 pounds overweight! What the heck was I thinking? I have all the weight I need to do my workouts for now, right here in my belly! I tried to do a push-up. Nope, didn’t work. Then I tried an elevated push-up using a chair. One, two, fail. Well, bodyweight training it is. :rolleyes:

Maybe in the future I will shift for weight lifting, but for now I think I have plenty of room to workout only with my body weight.

Searching the forum I found some info about bodyweight training and got an e-book called “You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises for Men and Women” from Mark Lauren. Once again I started over thinking, but this time I forced myself the get the ball rolling anyway. I did the easiest version of the first workout; it’s even embarrassing to write about it.:o That was my workout:

Ladders (7.5 min. each exercise)
    Workout Description
    Perform one rep of the given exercise, rest, perform two reps, rest, perform three reps, etc until you’ve reached the point at which going any higher would cause you to hit muscle failure on subsequent sets. Once you’ve reached that point, come back down without repeating the highest number. The rest interval between sets should be approximately the same amount of time it would take a training partner to perform the same number of reps. You’ll have more rest as the numbers get higher, and less rest as the numbers get lower on the way back down to one.
    Exercises:
    - Elevated Push-ups (against the wall): 7 reps
    - Let Me Ins: 7 reps
    - Seated Dips (with bent knees): 6 reps (weird noise on my right shoulder)
    - Let Me Ups (with bent knees): 5 reps

And that’s it! I was done for the day. It was very frustrating, to say the least.:cry:
    But I remembered that workout for the next 5 days, so intense was the DOMS.:eek: The pain was a good reminder that I was doing OK, it was not much, but I was pushing my body away from the comfort zone for the first time in three years. Unfortunately I wasn't able to workout all that week because my muscles were sore in a way that never had been before.

Yesterday I started to workout again and luckily I'll manage to keep the workout routine through the week. Gonna post the entire program later.

:tucool:

8. Akira-Kai

Akira-Kai Well-Known Member

Good work! Keep at it!

9. paulo_drummer

Thanks! :)

10. paulo_drummer

February 100 Challenge

For me, the best thing about tracking progress is the fact that you can throw away the drama and be practical. It’s really easy to find what’s wrong so you can fix it. I was puzzled by the fact I didn’t lose a single pound in the last three weeks, so I went straight to the numbers. It turns out I was eating at maintenance level. :ohnoes:
    Now, meal plan fixed, it’s time to get back on track. :tu:

It’s been almost three years since the last time I was committed with a fat loss program, and now I’m having a hard time to keep the level of commitment I had in the past. Wake up a little late and… that’s enough excuse for me not packing my meals for the day; and eating crap food all day long. Kids came to visit… here I am eating fast food with them. Work late today? Better grab something to eat at 7-Eleven… :rolleyes:

So I was reading my old journal, looking for a clue on how committed I was back then. And I realized something that helped me a lot: it’s called 100 Challenges. Last time I was facing similar problems with consistency and join the 100 Challenges was the key to keep me motivated and consistent for months.:bb:

Unfortunately most people don’t take the 100 Challenges as serious as we did years ago. It was very positive to have +20 people focused in the same thing: to end the month with 100 points. Quitting was pretty shameful. As was making a challenge entry and not running the race. We were all fighting to keep our 100 points, but if someone ended up with 70 points that was OK. Because despite the setbacks we all wanted finish the month in fighting, trying our best to be consistent. I miss those days commitment level. Anyway, I have a meal plan, I have a workout routine, and I am motivated. What I really need now is some help to keep myself consistent with my plans. So, February 100 Challenge, here I come! :claphigh:

11. LarssonCrew

LarssonCrew Active Member

Don't worry Paulo!

I thought you were dead in the water, no updates.

I agree that seeing no progress on the scales is very...unmotivating.

But I learnt some things.

If you drink 1L of water, you'll gain a KG [2.2lbs] on the scale.

If you go and eat 4 Kgs of celery, your scale weight will be 4Kgs heavier, but you've probably only eaten 2 or 300 calories in that 4Kg.

It's always a challenge to say no, can you not take your kids for fast food and just have a diet soda?:D

12. paulo_drummer

Nope! Just having a hard time to keep up with the updates. But I'm alive and kicking! :D

That's what I call a CHALLENGE!:lol:

I think February 100 Challenge will help me out with this. By the way, I saw you post and I'm happy you're gonna join the Challenge too! :tucool:

13. paulo_drummer

Bring it on!

So it’s February and I’m so ready for the 100 Challenge! :nod:

It’s been a while since my last challenge, so I’m kinda nervous. But I think that’s good; it means how serious I am about it. And if it looks like I’m making a big deal of it; this is exactly the point: it is a big deal! I know the influence the 100 challenge has on me; I know what they did to my motivation in the past. To say the least, I’m very excited about this. Oh boy, it’s good to be back on track again! :dance:

OK, John! You can lock the door now. :madpimp:

14. paulo_drummer

Just the second day in the 100 Challenge and already happened!:nod: That’s why I like these challenges so much. Yesterday was a tough day at the office, tons of problems to solve, most of them requiring resources I didn’t have at my disposal. In days like that my primary behavior would be smoke a lot to cope with all the stress. Fortunately I quit smoking five months ago, so that was no longer an option. Second behavior it is: Eat a lot and try to cope. :lol:

Yesterday I craved a lot: sweets, ice creams, frappuccino, carbs, fats, you name it. But now I have those darn 100 points to keep, you know... As silly as it may sound, those points can somehow keep me consistent. And you know what? I dealt very well with my problems just with my brown rice, chicken breasts and beans sprouts. :nod:

At night I was feeling a little tired, but did my upper body workout anyway. (I couldn't risk losing 1 point, could I?:rolleyes:) And the workout was a blast! I know I've had a good workout when I can’t pick my Nitrean container from the upper cupboard in the kitchen. :lol:

Today is lower body day and I already fear those squats. :scared:

Anyway, just wanted to register here why the 100 Challenges are so important to me in building momentum. Time for meal #2 now. :eat:

15. paulo_drummer

Stats

Sunday I took my weekly measurements:

WEIGHT: 234,57 lbs
    BODY FAT %: 34.60 ish
    CALVES: 16.96”
    THIGHS: 24.52”
    HIPS: 44.68”
    WRIST: 6.88”
    WAIST: 49.01”
    FOREARMS: 12.00”
    UPPER ARMS: 14.96”
    CHEST: 46.69”
    NECK: 17.51”

I lost 3.52 lbs in one week, but most of it is water weight due to start eating clean again. The real fat loss starts now! :nod:

Yesterday I was still a little sore in my pecs and triceps, but not enough to prevent me from my upper body workout. Don’t get me wrong; I know it’s not good to train a sore muscle. But I also know how easy is to use the fourth day residual's soreness as an excuse to skip a workout. I add reps/intensity to all my exercises and it felt so good!

Looking forward to take my weekly measurements next week and start to break down those numbers. Note to self: I need to buy a skin fold caliper ASAP! I hate being in the dark. :ohnoes:

On a no related note, I made Mastover’s Mexican Style Shredded Chicken and it turned out AWESOME! I’m eating it for three days in a row! :p

#15 paulo_drummer, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  16. paulo_drummer

Sodium and stuff

Yesterday workout wasn’t the more intense workout of my life. Woke up late and it seems to have affected all my day, including the upper body workout at night. For the first time I did not added intensity or reps in all exercises, just in half of them. And that was very frustrating.:rolleyes:
    I believe the reasons was 1) I wasn’t 100% focused ‘cause I was worried about issues in my job and 2) did the workout +2 hours after M4, so I was getting low on carbs. Gonna fix these problems in tonight’s lower body workout and see if I get my intensity back. The focus is something that I need work on it, maybe some solid and aggressive music would help. And for my energy level, today I’m gonna delay a little bit all my meals, I think 30 minutes would do. Which means I’ll have the energy to workout even if a leave a little late from job.

Scale shows +1lbs this morning and kinda freaked me out! Then I remembered I drunk a different brand of coffee yesterday, with a lot more sodium then I’m used to; so this pound is probably water. We’ll see in a couple days.

Off I go to M2: Almonds and tuna! Love it!

17. paulo_drummer

Stats

And it has been another week since my last measurement. Let’s see what the numbers show me this week:

WEIGHT: 233.68 lbs
    BODY FAT%: 34.60%
    CALVES: 17.44”
    THIGHS: 25.59”
    HIPS: 44.48”
    WRIST: 6.77”
    WAIST: 48.30”
    FOREARMS: 11.41”
    UPPER ARMS: 15.55”
    CHEST: 46.45”
    SHOULDERS: 16.53”
    NECK: 16.92”

Comparing to last week:

WEIGHT: -0.89 lbs
    BODY FAT%: 0%
    CALVES: +0.48”
    THIGHS: +1.07”
    HIPS: -0.2”
    WRIST: -0.11”
    WAIST: -0.71”
    FOREARMS: -0.59”
    UPPER ARMS: +0.59”
    CHEST: -0.24”
    SHOULDERS: -0.39”
    NECK: -0.59”

And here’s exactly the reason one should not trust in the bathroom scale numbers only: they lie!
    In one week my weight went from 234.57lbs to 233.68lbs, down only 0.89lbs. It would be enough to get me mental and reduce my calorie intake more and more. But analyzing the measurements I can see that my hips, waist, chest, shoulders and neck are smaller, meanwhile my calves, thighs and biceps are bigger. And that’s all I need to know. Despite what the scale show me, weight loss is taking place here.:dance:

18. paulo_drummer

Shoulder pain, feeling hungry, movies

Seems like I’ll need to see an orthopedic doctor about this shoulder joint pain. I’m having this pain whenever I do seated dips or military press and it really started to bother me. No pain doing push-ups or pull-ups, but any kind of dips or press makes my right shoulder click in every single rep. I wouldn't mind if it was just the “click”; the pain it’s what concerns me. It’s not muscular, it’s sharp and deep; joint pain. Problem to see a physician is to get the you’re-too-heavy-for-this-kind-of-exercise talk. And then he will end up recommending walking in the pool or some similar crap.:rolleyes: Anyway, I guess it's better to have my shoulder scanned up before I damage it somehow.:twitch:

On the nutrition front, I'm feeling hungry lately, specially in the days after the workouts. I guess it’s time to change my activity level from lightly to moderately and adjust my meal plan. On one hand, I’m very afraid to eat too much and get stuck like the first two weeks. On the other hand, I don’t want to keep my calories intake too low and lose too much muscle in the process of cutting. I’m gonna add a hundred or so calories and see what happens.

Tonight I'm going to the movies and I'm pretty sure I won’t be able to resist a bucket of popcorn, 100 Challenge or no 100 Challenge. If I manage to drink iced tea instead of soda, I’ll be glad enough. :whistle:

On an unrelated (unrelated? really?) note, I just made my entry for the March’s 100 Challenge. :dance:

19. paulo_drummer

Stats

I was very pleased with yesterday’s stats. I’ve lost an entire inch from my waist and half inch from my hips and chest. On the other side, I’ve gained half inch in my forearms and a quarter inch in my calves. My weight is -0.76 pounds since last week’s weight and –5.17 pounds compared to February 1. In the last 19 days I’ve lost 2 inches in my waist, three and half inches in my chest, almost one inch in my thighs and one inch and half in my neck. No wonder I’m feeling my clothes a little loose lately…:lol: Here are the numbers:

WEIGHT: 232.92 lbs
    BODY FAT%: 34.00% (ish… didn’t get that caliper yet)
    CALVES: 17.71”
    THIGHS: 25.45”
    HIPS: 44.09”
    WRIST: 6.69”
    WAIST: 47.24”
    FOREARMS: 11.88”
    UPPER ARMS: 15.15”
    CHEST: 45.86”
    SHOULDERS: 16.53”
    NECK: 16.92”

Comparing to last week:

WEIGHT: -0.76 lbs
    BODY FAT%: 0.6%
    CALVES: +0.27”
    THIGHS: -0.14”
    HIPS: -0.39”
    WRIST: -0.08”
    WAIST: -1.06”
    FOREARMS: +0.47”
    UPPER ARMS: -0.04”
    CHEST: -0.59”
    SHOULDERS: no change
    NECK: no change

Looking forward to another week!

20. carguy

carguy Well-Known Member

Where are you taking the measurement for your shoulders? That number sounds so small. Great job so far, by the way.