1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Patrick's Fifth Decade

Discussion in 'Fitness Journals' started by xingcat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. xingcat

xingcat Well-Known Member

I had to stop updating my last journal yesterday, since the title was "Fit by 40," and now I'm 40. I guess this is my journal-introduction to the 5th decade, which will hopefully be one that continues the fitness goals I had while approaching 40.

I'm just about over the cold that kept bugging me over the weekend and yesterday, but I can feel a cold sore trying to appear up near my nose. I hate that every cold I get winds up making me look freakish for a couple of days afterwards. :mad:

Today's workout was pretty good. My gym is pretty small, so there's generally only one station for certain exercises. Only one squat rack, for example. It seemed like there was a coordinated effort to have someone at every area that I was just about to get to, including the squat rack, so I kind of substituted equivalents for a lot of things. That mixed things up a bit, which was a nice change.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Leg Press (sled): 2X10, 2X8
    Calf Raises (sled): 3X10
    Step-ups: 3X10
    Leg Curls (machine): 2X10, 1X9
    Leg Extensions (machine): 2X10, 1X9, 1X7
    Good Mornings: 3X10
    Lat Pulldowns: 2X10, 2X8
    Seated Rows: 3X10
    Assisted Chins: 2X10, 2X8
    Standing DB Curls: 3X10
    Concentration Curls: 2X10, 1X9

2. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm looking forward to watching you progress as much in this journal as you did during the life of your last one. :tu:

3. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

Welcome to your fifth decade, baby! You're gonna rock it. :cool:

4. IROC-Z

IROC-Z Raw Bench Daddy

Happy birthday!

I'm also creeping up on the big 40! I look forward to following along!

5. Rise

Rise Active Member

Happy birthday! Good luck continuing the good fight!

6. xingcat

Thanks for all the good wishes! It gives me a warm feeling to carry into my old age. :lol:

Fall and winter are going to be a struggle for me, in terms of waking up. 5am seems to come much more quickly than it did over the summer, and I'm just about done with my run by the time the sun actually rises in the morning now. I had a very long argument with myself about whether or not it was okay to take the day off from cardio, but of course that's just the kind of thing that leads me into getting lazy and abandoning my fitness goals, so I grumped my way through the morning routine and hit the road.

I have a 5K coming up in just over two weeks, so I want to do some more speed training, but sprinting when it's pitch-black outside really isn't the smartest thing in the world, so I'll probably leave that for the weekends. I made decent time, and it was nice and cool outside, so I'm glad I didn't talk myself into getting an extra hour of sleep.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Running (outdoors): 7 miles, 43 minutes.

7. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Nice going and getting out there when you didn't feel like it. I agree, it does become harder to get up when it's cold and dark outside as opposed to the summer months.

8. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Hey man! Happy 40th Birthday and congrats on your success so far, great work! Look forward to following your new journey!

9. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Happy 40th, and best wishes for continued success in your fitness endeavors.

10. xingcat

All of these good wishes from folks I haven't heard from before! THANKS!

I've been eating way too much over the past week. I have no idea what's gotten into me, except the fact that the weather is much cooler for the most part, so maybe I'm adding on a layer of fat to hibernate? No idea.

I decided to go higher than I've been pushing on weights this morning, and I can feel a bit of soreness already. I usually try for 8-10 reps, but after a warm-up set on each exercise, I tried for a 4-6 rep max with each weight. It worked out pretty well, and I'm slowly but surely moving myself away from being hesitant about higher weights on the bar.

I figure if I'm going to be tempted to eat more anyway, I might as well try to bulk up a bit. We'll see how it goes.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Flat Bench Press: 1X10, 1X8, 1X6, 1X5
    Incline Bench Press: 1X10, 2X6, 1X4
    Pec Deck: 2X10, 2X8
    Seated Press (machine): 1X8, 2X6, 1X4
    Standing Military Press: 1X8, 2X6
    Upright Rows: 2X10, 1X8
    Lateral DB Raises: 3X10
    Seated DB Shoulder Press: 1X10, 2X8, 1X6
    Weighted Bench Dips: 1X10, 2X8, 1X5
    Cable Pushdown: 2X10, 1X8
    Overhead Rope Extension: 2X10, 1X8

11. xingcat

The kitchen floor was finally installed yesterday, and it looks amazing. That's the last step, and now all the appliances just need to be re-connected and I'll have a fully-functional kitchen again! It's been way too long, and I think I'll celebrate by buying a ton of fresh stuff to cook up for healthy meals.

I continued the higher-weight, lower-rep scheme I did yesterday on today's legs/back/bicep workout. I had a good time doing it, too. Whatever it takes to get me further along in terms of body composition. I've gained a bunch of strength over the past couple of months, but my arms and legs are about the same size, so I'd like to take the colder months and bulk up a bit.

Today, I'm switching our company's e-mail from one service to another. I'm hoping it goes seamlessly, because if there's even a second of interruption, I'm going to have to spend the rest of the day fielding panic-stricken phone calls, and who wants that on a Friday?

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Squats: 1X10, 2X8, 1X6
    Leg Extensions (machine): 1X10, 1X8, 1X6, 1X4
    Leg Curls (machine): 1X9, 2X8, 1X6
    Calf Raises (sled): 2X10, 2X8
    Deadlifts: 3X5, 1X4, 1X3
    Single-arm DB Rows: 1X10, 2X8
    Lat Cable Pulldowns: 2X10, 1X8, 1X6
    Back Flyes: 3X10
    Underhand-grip Chinups: 1X10, 2X8, 1X6
    Hammer Curls: 2X10, 1X8, 1X6
    Preacher Curls: 3X6

12. LoneStarChick

LoneStarChick Well-Known Member

I'll bet you're excited to have that kitchen finished. I know you'll enjoy cooking healthy again!

13. jchantelau

jchantelau Well-Known Member

Congrats on gettin the kitchen completed! I bet that's a huge relief!

14. xingcat

It was 48F outside when I went for my run. I actually had to wear long pants, long sleeves and my fleece vest! I loved it, even though I had that "itchy mouth" feeling that comes with exercising in the cooler weather for the first part, but the sun warmed things up for the rest of the run.

I'm getting ready for the 5K on the 4th, so I threw in a few sprints as I went along, and it felt really good. I have a goal of completing the 5K in less than 20 minutes, which is pretty aggressive for me. I think I can do it, based on the times I've been logging on my 7-mile runs.

My best friend gave me an iPod Touch for my birthday (a belated present, because she wasn't sure if I'd want that or an iPhone, but my calling plan doesn't expire until February, and I'm kind of interested in the new Google phone, so I'm glad she got the iTouch, which rocks.

I also agreed to go to see NKOTB with my friend Jenn, who has a real...thing for the New Kids. She's been in love with them since she was a teen, and I don't mind going with her. It'll be fun. Nothing but crying women in their late 30s and early 40s!! :lol:

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Running (outdoors): 7 miles, about 42 minutes.

15. xingcat

Yesterday, I headed to Circuit City to buy a new car stereo with the gift cards I got for my birthday. I figured I'd set up an appointment for installation while I was there, but they said they had slots available right then if I wanted it installed immediately, so I now have a new stereo in my car!

It has an AUX port for my iPod/XM Radio, which is basically all I wanted. It sounds great. It's been awhile since I've been able to listen to my XM Radio in the car, and I've missed it. Apparently, you can control the iPod with the stereo's controls. I haven't tried that out yet, but I will the next time I have a long trip.

I'm having trouble with my hip. I don't know if it's a pulled muscle or something else, but it's really tight, which I noticed about halfway through my run. I hope it doesn't turn into anything, but I'll be careful with it for the next few days.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Running (outdoors): 7 miles, about 45 minutes.

16. xingcat

The trouble with my hip turned into a horrible pain that hit me whenever I stood up or tried to walk. I didn't want to spend the day in the ER, so I iced it and took 800mg Motrin that I had left over from something awhile ago. That brought the pain down to a dull roar, and I thought it was better this morning, but I think it was just from lying immobile while I slept. I'm back to kind of wanting to die when I walk, so it's a trip to the doctor's for me.

Crap.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

None. Ow.

17. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Patrick, that sucks. Hopefully it's just a temporary issue that won't linger.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your new car stereo.

18. k3vb0

k3vb0 Well-Known Member

Damn, that sounds painful. Hope it's nothing serious.

19. xingcat

The verdict: A pulled muscle or (more likely) bursitis of the hip, which is essentially the same diagnosis. The bursa on either side of the joint can become inflamed, and so I got a prescription for even more Motrin and to ice it every few hours. I'm not to run this week, but I should walk and stretch throughout the day in order to keep from stiffening up. Any other activity is fine, though the doctor recommended I not attempt anything requiring hip action, like squats or deadlifts.

I went to the gym this morning and made up for my missed chest/shoulders/triceps workout. Everything went well enough, though I had to be careful when doing anything that required standing and pressing. My knees hyperextend quite a bit, which can lead me to lean on my hips more than I should, which could have led to the injury. I managed a decent workout, and will see what I can do tomorrow. I'll probably either skip legs altogether or just do extensions and curls.

TODAY'S WORKOUT:

Flat Bench Press: 1X10, 1X8, 1X4, 1X6
    Incline Bench Press: 1X10, 2X8, 1X6
    Pec Deck: 2X10, 1X8, 1X7
    Seated Press (machine): 3X8
    Standing Military Press: 1X10, 1X9, 1X8
    Front DB Raises: 3X10
    Shrugs: 3X10
    Seated DB Shoulder Press: 1X10, 2X8
    Dips: 1X10, 1X9, 1X8
    Cable Tricep Extensions: 3X10
    Overhead Cable Rope Pulls: 3X10

20. Seltzer

Seltzer Elite Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Take care not to push it too much. You're not as young as you used to be ;). Seriously, sometimes less is more and a brief rest, while frustrating in the short term will allow you to do more in the long run. Disclaimer: While I firmly believe what I just wrote, it's advice that I have trouble personally following.