1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Pasta bad, why?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Advice For Beginners' started by Prodigy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Prodigy

Prodigy Active Member

In numerous posts I have seen people say "replace pasta", but have yet to see a reason why. So my question is why?

I am a pasta lover, but only eat it once a week. I eat the whole wheat pasta with a healthy homemade sauce (and side salad).

This is in regards to cutting.

Thanks,

Prodigy

2. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Pasta packs a lot of carbs and a lot of calories into a small amount of food. 2 oz. (approx 200 calories and the reccommended serving size on the spaghetti I buy) of dry pasta is about 1/4 - 1/2 of what a typical restaraunt portion is going to be.

Enriched white flour pasta is comparable to pure sugar in how quickly it's broken down and processed in the body. It causes an insulin spike that promotes fat storage. Whole wheat pasta is better in this regard but still suffers the big-calorie, not much food issue.

If you're burning more calories than you consume then you'll continue to cut fat, pasta or not. There are more efficient food choices out there, though. :tu:

3. tedpod

tedpod Well-Known Member

gluten tends to bloat some as well

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

If you're seeking low body fat (<12%), replace it in your diet for the reasons posted by other members above. If you're not seeking those ultra-defined body fat levels, leave it in your diet in moderation as you are now. It's all about what you want to achieve... your goals.

-R

5. karatetricker

karatetricker Well-Known Member

There are better choices than pasta for sure, but if you're eating the whole wheat variety just once a week, I doubt you'll notice a difference with or without it in your diet. If you want, include it in your "free meal/day" if you have one.

I'm not carb-sensitive, but I've cut below 10% BF including pasta in my diet every now and then.

6. SwoleCat

SwoleCat Well-Known Member

I love whole wheat pasta myself, it has a great taste to it.

~SC~

7. BreakingPoint

BreakingPoint Well-Known Member

I couldn't see why there'd be a problem, you're not eating it alone are you? If you enjoy it, keep eating it.

8. msf

msf Active Member

What could you replace pasta with? Rice?

9. steven

steven Well-Known Member

brown rice..

10. mahloni

mahloni Well-Known Member

Less 'dense' carbs like vegetables.

broccoli, cauliflower, green/red/yellow peppers, spinach, squash, yam, asparagus, onions, mushrooms, etc.

Rice and pasta are more dense and higher calorie. For most this is not a big deal; others, who tend to gain and store fat more easily, dense carbohydrates can make it difficult to shed the pounds as quickly as they would like. Especially those last few percentage points of body fat.

Brown/Whole Wheat pasta and rice is better.

Conversly, for lean 'hardgainers', rice and pasta can add some dense carbs and high calories to help add mass without needing to eat 3x your own weight in vegetables every meal.

Mahlon