1. JSF is shutting down on February 12, 2020. Please see this page for details.
    Dismiss Notice

Overtraining?

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by Rhinosaur, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Active Member

Ok so two weeks ago I am getting some obvious signs of overtraining my cheast, my bench droped from 320 to about 270, i was tired and kinda cranky. So I took a week off. I get back in the gym and my lifts were awful, about halfway throuhg my workout I pinch a nerve in my shoulder, currently typing in allot of pain. Now it gets better, I just started a creatine cycle about a month ago, my lifts go way up on creatine but it seams I have been steadily droping since I started cycling... as if its some sort of anti creatine. Could this just be overtraining, take another week off? I may not be eating right... Any other possible causes?

2. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

How much rowing do you do?

3. Rhinosaur

Rhinosaur Active Member

Rowing? On a boat? or dumbell rows?

I work my back allot, I do allot of rows

4. PlainGreyT

PlainGreyT Active Member

I don't think your overtraining in light of your recent week off

It may just be an expected loss of strength due taking a week off - if it is then your lifts should return to pre-break in a few weeks

But if you don't think its normal then I'd look at your rest & recovery and your diet

And I asked about doing rows because you mentioned shoulder pain, but you've a balance of push/press so I was wrong about that

5. njprime

njprime Active Member

I had issues with overtraining before, and found that it took about 2 weeks for me to recover, and another 2 weeks to get back the lost strength.

Also, you may want to read up on active recovery. I've started doing cardio targetting a heart rate of 120-130bpm for 20 minutes on my off-days, which seems to help avoid overtraining, and recover from mild overtraining faster.