1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Outdoor bikes

Discussion in 'Gym Equipment' started by John Stone, Oct 18, 2009.

1. reniform

reniform Well-Known Member

Congrats, you and Lisa are in for a lot of fun! When do you get to take the bikes on their inaugural ride?

I had to take mine off too (its an aesthetics thing), but I'm not around cars all that much. I figure if you're on the road and its that dark out, you probably need a light anyways.

2. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the bikes. PLEASE be careful with that bike rack, however... it will scratch the hell out of your finish if the straps are not positioned correctly and secured appropriately.

3. Sea2Sea

Sea2Sea Active Member

I third that !:tu:

4. M@

M@ Monster Maker 2017

Media:
    Albums:
    Ditto on that: I had one of those type racks and after about a year it was metal-on-metal with my trunk. Scored the hell out of it. Fortunately, my car at the time was a POS 88 Pontiac Grand Am so the damage wasn't out of character for the rest of the vehicle. :blank:

5. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Hey guys, thanks for the advice about the bike rack. I got a Saris Guardian 2-bike, which the manufacturer says is compatible with both of our cars. The padding is ample and very thick, but I'll inspect it closely after each trip. :)

6. phillydude

phillydude Don't Never Give Up.

Media:
    Albums:
    It's not where the frame hits the car, it's where the clips fit into the slots around the trunk, and the places where the straps touch the paint.

7. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

The clips are heavily coated with a soft rubber-like material, and the straps don't touch the paint at all. I'll still keep a close watch for any signs of wear after each trip.

Anyway, the lease on the Mercedes is up in July. I think I'm going to be getting a truck next, so moving the bikes around should become much easier then.

8. StevieD

StevieD Well-Known Member

Hill climbing and pedals/shoes

John, I read your news posting today where you talked about hill climbs. One thing that will REALLY help here is if you put clip-in pedals on your bike. Then your shoes have cleats in the bottom that lock to the pedals, allowing you to use BOTH legs simultaneously. I.e., you are able to pull UP on one pedal while pushing down on the other.

There are several different shoe/pedal systems to choose from, so you'll need to do some research. I use LOOK for my road bike and TIME for my single-speed/cyclocross (much easier to walk in this type of shoe.)

This makes a big difference overall, but especially on hills. (It also lets your hamstrings get in on the action while riding.)

Of course, you have to get used to "unclipping" when you stop (essentially, you just twist your heel to the outside.) I think EVERYONE forgets once, and ends up slowly falling over at some point. It's especially embarrassing when you do it in front of a line of stopped cars at an intersection (I don't know who would EVER do that :)).

9. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

I've been doing a lot of reading on clipless pedal setups lately, and that is something I'm definitely interested in purchasing. When money is not quite so tight they are on the shortlist for sure! :)

10. nbibbins

nbibbins Active Member

I'm late to the thread, but for about $20 you can get toe-clips and straps. They take a very little amount of time to get used to 'cause you need to pull back a bit to release from the pedal. Run the straps loose at first and then tighten them up to hold your feet to the pedals. They mount to regular pedals.

Power Grips are decent, too -- but look around so you don't spend too much. Very efficient, cheap clipless pedal alternative. (Put your foot in the strap and turn it to rest the foot on the pedal. The strap automatically tightens with the rotation of the foot.)

Here are the benefits to these alternatives and clipless pedals:

1. Hold you feet to the pedals so you don't chance slipping off when on bumpy surfaces. This can be very painful if you hit your junk on the top tube.

2. Allows you to pull UP -- working the hamstrings -- in addition to just pushing DOWN-- working the quads.

3. They allow you to develop a much more efficient cadence -- using the entire pedal rotation -- the way your leg is supposed to work. Better on the knees, too.

4. Catch air and bring your bike with you. Best dang feeling in the world.

Have fun.

#30 nbibbins, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  11. Chadster

Chadster Well-Known Member

+1 :nod: