1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Out of memory

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cr74, May 30, 2009.

1. cr74

cr74 Active Member

When I try to view:
    http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?p=730642#post730642

I get the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 10250 bytes) in /var/www/forums/showthread.php on line 1268

I get a similar error or a blank page when I try and view any post in John Stone's Picture Gallery and Video Archive

It looks like you need to give php a wee bit more memory for such a well loved and large thread! Every single other discussion and thread on the forums I can view without problem.

This only started a few days ago. I just assumed it was because the server was very busy but I am logging on this morning at a quiet time and the same is happening.

I think the thread has grown to the point where it needs more than 16mb to show it!

2. John Stone

John Stone Every day is Leg Day
    Staff Member Owner

Thanks very much for the detailed error report. I agree with your assessment. :nod:

I am unable to reproduce the error; nevertheless, I just increased the memory ceiling for PHP scripts. Please let me know if that solves the problem. :)

3. cr74

cr74 Active Member

Good morning John. Thanks for such a quick reply. Unfortunately on one out of three attempts it failed with the error below. Other attempts worked just fine.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 22024 bytes) in /var/www/forums/showthread.php on line 1268

4. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

How bizarre. :confused:

I'm not aware of this ever happening to anyone else, and I can't reproduce it, but it's clearly a server-side error.

Can you please try again now? :spaz:

5. cr74

cr74 Active Member

This is most curious and very, very interesting. It is a server side error message but I think caused by my browser. I had thought it was just a simple case of a big thread and not enough memory. However, I have tried this on several other browsers and on several other computers in my home office and they all work fine. e.g. Ubuntu linux with opera and firefox; Windows XP using IE and Firefox; Windows vista 64 using IE32 and IE64 and firefox 32. Google chrome works fine also.

When I try it now on this browser (64bit Firefox 3.0.10 on Windows Vista 64) I just get a blank page. Before I received the out of memory error. So whatever you changed since the last time it now looks like it is no longer a memory issue. Are you up to 64 now? Is there anything in the server error logs?

6. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Strange. There is absolutely nothing in the error logs that indicates a problem. I can see the requests coming in from your IP, and they are all perfectly normal.

Yeah, I bumped PHP's max memory to 64MB, which is quite excessive. I'm going to move it back to 32 (which is still double what it was).

I agree that it seems to be a browser issue, but how and why it's happening is baffling. :confused:

You've got quite the heterogeneous computer lab there!

7. cr74

cr74 Active Member

Puzzling. I would have expected something!

Yes, 32 is much "safer". In fact you might want to put it back to 16 if no one else has ever had a problem. Incidentally, the out of memory error is back now.

I'm going to pop out and cut the grass (mow the lawn as you would call it) while I let this bounce about my head.

I am a total geek. I've run software and hardware businesses all my adult life. At the last count I had 12 computers and servers all set up to run different configurations and environments. Rather sad I know but all "needed" for software testing and deployment for multiple clients. It also explains why I got so out of shape spending all that time in a dark room. What I should have done was buy a titan like you. It would have cost me much less than the "extra" 10 computers!

8. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Thanks again for all the information. I've opened a support ticket with Jelsoft (vBulletin), so maybe they can shed some light on what might be causing this to happen.

9. cr74

cr74 Active Member

Everything seems to be working correctly now John. Nothing has changed at my end so I guess you tweaked a few more things. I would be very interested to learn what Jelsoft had to say. Thank you for your prompt response and dedication to these forums.

10. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Actually I haven't changed a thing since we worked on this yesterday morning! Strange...

I've not yet heard anything from the Jelsoft camp. I'll bump them if I don't have a response by tomorrow morning. :)

11. cr74

cr74 Active Member

John, I just realised I did change something. :o. Some software tester I will make!

The Thread Display Mode was set to hybrid. In this mode I get the OOM error. In Linear - oldest first there is no error.

Again this only happens in your very long thread.

Are you able to repeat this?

12. euan

euan Active Member

Switching to 'hybrid' mode, I was also able to reproduce this error:

13. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Yes! Now we're getting somewhere. I'll report this new information to Jelsoft. Thanks!

14. John Stone

Staff Member Owner

Sorry about the delay, I didn't get a response from Jelsoft until yesterday.

Here's what I was told by Jelsoft Customer Service Manager:

Further...

I'm inclined to agree, especially because it seems the minimum I'd need to set it to is 128MB (since 64MB still failed to render the thread).

Another poster commented that this issue is something that has always been a problem, and there is even a hack that disables hybrid mode on threads with over 1,000 posts. I may look into that.

15. cr74

cr74 Active Member

Thanks John

I do not think the size of the script memory is the final answer. When you raised the memory limit up to 64mb I no longer had the out of memory error but a blank page. If you had your server configured to show internal php errors (good that you do not) I am sure we would see a different error. Probably a buffer overflow in a variable data type. It would seem that hybrid mode just can not handle that size of a thread... without a code re-write. I would suggest you install that hack and reduce your script memory size back down to 16mb. This will reduce the security issues. The hack is probably a few lines of code, a simple test of "if threads > 1000 then show in normal mode else display in the mode the user wants".