1. Have you installed the new JSF Mobile app? Check out all the details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. One account & one avatar for all of JSF. Unified login and profile. Forum alerts on the main site, and more. Check out the details here: Forum & main site unified account feature is live!
    Dismiss Notice

Ouch! My elbow....

Discussion in 'General Health/Fitness & Injuries' started by keep it tight, Sep 11, 2007.

1. keep it tight

keep it tight Active Member

Any tips out there for dealing with tennis elbow?

I have no problem picking up that 70lb dumbbell, but if I try to grab the Diet Coke can on the floor next to me...yikes!:cry:

Thanks

KIT

2. wormfood

wormfood Well-Known Member

When I would work my chest on the bench press, the inner side of my elbows would scream bloody murder (look up golfer's elbow). Then it started affecting other lifts as well - anything tricep related, bicep curls, shoulder work... it sucked. I started taking aleive for the pain, a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, and finally 3 weeks off of lifting altogether.

After the 3 weeks off, the stinging pain was gone and I changed up my lifts to remove any pain during workouts - I substituted dumbells for all of my chest work outs, no more skull crushers for tri's and now I can finally get away with pain free hammer curls for bi's.

It's been 2 months since I re-started and if I don't practice good form during my lifts, my elbows let me know. If your elbows are hurting, give them a rest and try to change up your lifts to reduce the pain.

3. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

Medial Epicondylitis

Here's an article on it:

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/sma_golferse_sma.htm

ice, ice, ice: 20 on 20 off.

I would take a week off, (do legs and abs only) ice, and hope it goes away. If not, see a doc. If it does: and add in one exercise per week in this order until you find the one that is causing it:

Lat pulls
    Pec Flies
    Seated Cable/bent over rows
    Pec press (dumbells)
    shoulder raises (lateral)
    shoulder raises (front)
    back flies
    bicep curls
    tricep push downs

Once you figure out what causes it, eliminate it, and find a substitute...

Things that irritate it in cases that I see: Straight bar bench, skull crushers, bent bar tricep presses supine (bringing bar to forehead).

Dr. Jen

4. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

I just dealt with this issue.

It had gotten so bad that I couldn't lift an 8-lb. guitar off its stand because the pain in my elbow had decreased my ability to grip anything with my right hand.

Rather than screw around, waiting and/or hoping for it to heal, I made an appointment with an ortho right away. The doctor immediately identified it as classic tennis elbow and forbade me from the gym or anything that required grip strength for at least a week. He gave me a shot of cortisone and told me to ice it twice a day for 15-20 minutes at a time. I also took naproxen (anti-inflammatory). The cortisone shot hurt like a mofo for the first two days, but things quickly improved after that. Within seven days of the cortisone shot, my hand/elbow was back to normal.

-R

5. Dr.Jen

Dr.Jen Active Member

Both sides!

Yes, this form of treatment is very effective. Unfortunately, cortisone shots produce scar tissue, and if repeated, and lead to more problems in the area later. Also- the shot needs to be the right amount and applied in exactly the right spot. Sounds liek your doc did that- which is great!

Here's an article that talks about side effects:
    http://orthopedics.about.com/od/paintreatment/f/sideeffects.htm

Make sure you read all the way down to tendon rupture so you can make an informed decision.

Here's one view point- where side effects are not discussed.
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/displayarticle.php/article1349.html

I just try to do the least invasive thing... when rest, ice and alterations in things people do can help heal- why do the magic bean dance- and inject something if you don't have to.

Just another view point.:D

Dr. Jen

6. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Well-Known Member

Understood. Here's what my research told me.

I waited six weeks just to get into the doctor, and I wasn't willing to wait any longer than that for a solution. During my wait for the appointment, religiously icing and resting as much as I could did nothing. I wore a brace to stabilize the extremity and utilized OTC anti-inflammatories when the elbow caused significant pain. This only provided mild, temporary relief.

According to the doctor, in the absence of treatment, damage to tendons in the elbow regenerate in 6-12 months with rest - an unacceptable time frame as my hands are important to every-day function. Further, the tendons in the elbow always heal with some minor scar-tissue, though that scarring eventually regenerates into healthy, pliable tissue again. As such, the scarring caused by cortisone use as treatment isn't as weighty an issue because the scar tissue that forms inside will be replaced in time. I am not a fan of utilizing modern medicine lest I be forced to because of where I came from (pre-transformation) to where I am today. :tucool:

-R